Cyst, Abscess, Or Cancer?

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been to the vet with my 11 year old boy. They took some blood and we need to call back on Mon. to see if he qualifies for surgery. However, I am apprehensive about this surgery because our cat is behaving absolutely normally and I don't want to mess up a good thing. He has had a cyst (?) below his ear for the last 2 years. It would fill with fluid and regress back to a solid lump off and on. There is no other lump anywhere else on his body. He is eating, playing, sleeping, and is a super affectionate kitty. He is an indoor cat.
I was wondering if lancing would be an option but our vet says they would feel better removing it. He will also get his tartar taken care of as he will be on anesthesia anyway. I was just wondering if someone can guess if this is a serious and probable cancer or just a benign cyst.
And any idea on how to help his tartar? It is really hard to get back to his teeth --he won't let me touch them.

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think i would take the vets advice and get rid of the lump. Even if it isnt causing problems right this moment it may, if it becomes infected, starts to grow, is pre-cancer, i would worry if that was on my guy.. And he is not getting younger, it is, in my opinion better to deal with it now, before it becomes a major problem, and he is even older. I know its scary to have things like this with our cats, but i truly think its better to deal now.
Best of luck, and do keep us updated on how he is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a quick question and hope I can get some answers because I am really doubting this surgery.
Our cat is 12 years old with no known medical conditions and will undergo surgery tomorrow. This vet does not anesthesize through an IV but through intra muscular method. I am afraid this might lead to complications resulting in death. They did a blood panel on Sat. And found he was low on fluids and asked us to give him more to drink. But that is a lost cause as I can't force him to drink more water. Do you think we should postpone the surgery or drive to the animal clinic an hour away for an IV induced anesthesia. I am trying to prevent any problems and would hate that I didn't do enough to help him get through this.

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you ask if a fine needle aspiration biopsy be performed instead? Also I wonder why your vet wouldn't give him sub q fluids if your cat is dehydrated?

I really don't know much about cat lumps but I think if you're nervous, it's ok to get a 2nd opinion to at least put your mind at ease

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cat's cyst removal is very short procedure, that's why the vet wants to do intramuscular shot sedation. Recovery from the shot is fast and less complicated.

As mentioned above, a cyst's damaged sac has to be removed to ensure it doesn't return. Cyst removal is a superficial surgery and cats only need sedation because they refuse to lay still. People (who behave) get local anesthetic and it's out and stitched in 15 minutes. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I was so nervous as we got the surgery done today. He was out of sedation within the hour and is at home now acting as normal as possible under the circumstances. I will bear this thread in mind for any future procedures (hopefully not).
Now to adjust to the dreaded cone.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very glad it went well! Hopefully there will be no future procedures. The cone is never fun, but they do get use to it, and no lasting damage is done :) but they don't like it :oops: