Cyproheptadine side effects?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. As I'm sitting here in tears over my Morton being sick again i think the cypro is causing drowsiness. Do you know how long it stays in the body for? Hes had it for 3 days in a row 1/4 of a tab per day and i swear i remember all the times hes been on it that it helps his appetite but he turns into a slug. I know it says that it can be a side effect. He is not an energetic cat really at all in the first place. I just want him better

I'm going to skip it this afternoon and see how he eats

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might call the vet and inform them of this side effect., maybe the amount can be reduced to 1/4 tab? It takes a few days, maybe a week, for a body to adjust to meds, he might get better in a few days. They can stay at least a few days in the system, some meds longer than others. Call the vet before you skip the meds, sometimes stopping abruptly can be bad too. cipro is an antibiotic, so stopping early may cause an antibiotic-resistant bug and you don't want that. maybe a reduced amount for a longer period of time? Cipro, really many other meds too, can cause drowsiness. Is he still not eating much? as long as the reduced eating coincides with the lethargy, he wouldn't need as many calories. Just tempt him all you can. Don't worry about good nutrition right now, just get him to eat. I know several of my cats loved Arby's roast beef and Kentucky fried chicken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might call the vet and inform them of this side effect., maybe the amount can be reduced to 1/4 tab? It takes a few days, maybe a week, for a body to adjust to meds, he might get better in a few days. They can stay at least a few days in the system, some meds longer than others. Call the vet before you skip the meds, sometimes stopping abruptly can be bad too. cipro is an antibiotic, so stopping early may cause an antibiotic-resistant bug and you don't want that. maybe a reduced amount for a longer period of time? Cipro, really many other meds too, can cause drowsiness. Is he still not eating much? as long as the reduced eating coincides with the lethargy, he wouldn't need as many calories. Just tempt him all you can. Don't worry about good nutrition right now, just get him to eat. I know several of my cats loved Arby's roast beef and Kentucky fried chicken.
He is on 1/4. That is the standard dose per 24 hours. Its actually an antihistamine but we use it at work (I work at a cat specialty clinic as an assistant) for stimulating appetite and it works well for most cats especially the boarding ones who are too anxious to eat.. I have a lot of meds on hand at home I self treat him because he is so complicated. The vets are on board with whatever i want at this point as i know him best. Always have emergency prednisolone, cypro, ondansetron, zeniquin etc on hand

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so lucky! As you know an antihistamine definitely produces drowsiness, so maybe reducing it even more may help. Or maybe even finding a different appetite stimulant like Mirtapazine, which comes in a transdermal patch now.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Catxmama.

"Tanya's Guide..." has a comprehensive plain-language coverage of Cypro.....of note, she says that folks in her online community find that a dose of 1/8 tablet (.5mg) is effective. Now, this might be explained by those cats' reduced kidney function (thereby keeping more of the drug in the system). Still, it's a point worth noting.

Considering the latitude you have in adjusting meds, perhaps reducing his daily dosage and monitoring his food intake would be worthwhile.

Does he have reduced kidney function?

Anyway, here you are: "Tanya's Guide"......Cyproheptadine