Cyanide in cat food from Flaxseed &Tapioca (Yucca, Cassava)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you are right about protein but what needs to be lowered is phosphorus and that happens when finding a food without red meat and sometimes lowered protein helps achieve that too.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had IBD, pancreatitis, and liver inflammation
I fed her rawz rabbit. protein was never an issue
So what can your cat eat?
We are down to rabbit and maybe turkey. Need lower phosphorus. I think everyone is right about protein not being the problem but phosphorus is. Companies tend to include veggies to help lower phosphorus.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t think Lotus Pet Foods is consistent in the amount of flaxseed they add into each can. Some cans have a lot of specs of ground seeds some do not. I think they just need to eliminate it. They already have salmon oil that gives two of three omega3 fatty acids and according to one article I read all they need to do is add in canola oil for the third of the omega3s. It is safer without the flaxseed and just not needed for our fragile senior cats or cats in general. They are risking litigation. I’m thinking of having my cat eat the rabbit pate and then getting her blood drawn by a local nice mobile vet and test to see if cyanide shows in her blood and at what level. Litigation might be the only way to change what they are doing. One company held to task will cause them all to change. It is frustrating that no one knows really how it affects cats as all the research is on humans or dogs or other animals that are omnivores not carnivores like cats and cats digest and make use of fats and proteins differently as I remember having a conversation with an internal medicine vet who was telling me a bit about it. I think I will try Just Juicy Turkey by Lotus. It also is lower in DMA phosphorus needed for Tutu’s kidneys. She is only slightly allergic to turkey level 2 out of 4 so maybe she could tolerate it. I will also check out some suggested by all of you -thanks!!!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jojo&Tutu Jojo&Tutu what about this company called Fetching Foods? I don’t know anything about it but, their recipe seems to just have psyllium husk. Not sure where that falls into place with regard to cyanide, but I wasn’t able to find anything about it online myself. Perhaps it could be cooked, or it seems they have a cooked/custom option So maybe they can help you if you contact them with what you are looking for?
Psyllium husk is safe but Tutu drys out and gets constipated from it 😔

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are down to rabbit and maybe turkey. Need lower phosphorus. I think everyone is right about protein not being the problem but phosphorus is. Companies tend to include veggies to help lower phosphorus.
I just went on rawz website and requested DMA of phosphorus. I suspect it is too high.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just requested info on DMA phosphorus from Rawz. It needs to be lower for Tutu’s kidney failure. Maybe this is happening for the better for Tutu.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's bone that you have to avoid not meat. I make my own raw cat food. My poultry formulation with no bone is right at .5% DMB for phosphorus which is the minimum set by AAFCO for adult cats. I use eggshell powder. So yeah it's not protein that you need to avoid.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
No, companies add veggies to lower the cost. As @kittlyluv387 said, it's bone that you need to remove. I also make my own homemade raw with both chicken and turkey. My boneless turkey batch is .73 dmb phosphorous.

Just requested info on DMA phosphorus from Rawz. It needs to be lower for Tutu’s kidney failure. Maybe this is happening for the better for Tutu.
This information is all on the Rawz website. Select the type of food you're looking into and then click on "typical analysis."

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just think Lotus should just remove the flaxseed. My cats blood showed something toxic in it. I’m sick about this. Fenugreek seeds can cause an upset tummy not an option for my IBD kitty. I’m looking at Hounds and Gatos or Identity. Rabbit or Turkey. Hoping she likes one of them. No guar gum cassia gum carrageenan xanthan gum or any other crap. No flaxseed or tapioca that both cause cyanide. Yay only clean food. Hoping Tutu likes one. Hounds and Gatos is a bit higher phosphorus but a little less likely to cause IBD inflammation. It’s a toss up. I couldn’t have found the right things and sorted it out without Andrew Hall’s food guide so pass on a big thank you to him.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, companies add veggies to lower the cost. As @kittlyluv387 said, it's bone that you need to remove. I also make my own homemade raw with both chicken and turkey. My boneless turkey batch is .73 dmb phosphorous.

This information is all on the Rawz website. Select the type of food you're looking into and then click on "typical analysis."
Phosphorus is too high

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She refuses Identity rabbit. I tried quail with turkey and I tasted a sliver -tasted like peanut butter- weird! Her voice got horse and her stools were hard / tried turkey (no quail) and her voice was horse and she threw up/ tried quail (no turkey and she refuses to eat it - oh well so much for identity
I am getting a sample of rabbit with turkey from Dr. Elseys,got Lotus Just Juicy turkey (no flaxseed in it), hounds and Gatos rabbit and Hounds and Gatos turkey - hoping one works for her. They are 25% higher in phosphorus -not good for kidneys but I have to get her eating without food allergy reactions that can also affect kidneys.
By the way I filed a complaint on flaxseed and tapioca (cassava, yucca) with AAFCO. I’m sick of pet food companies putting our pets at risk!!!! Chronic exposure to flaxseed affects the kidneys, thyroid, and spinal cord. Cystitis, paralysis, incontinence and even kidney failure leading to death though rare can occur in animals. Tell them NO

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heads up Lotus Pet Foods and you crappy cat food manufacturers. I wrote the CA Dept. of Health and they requested info on the cans. Date best by, bar code, etc. I’m hoping for a recall or a CA prop 65 warning required as it has a toxic substance in it that should not be fed to cats.
Now I’m feeding Tutu Instinct LID rabbit but I’m not thrilled with the phosphorous level and also read a post on Amazon that the Montmorillonite Clay could have heavy metals in it so I sent it in to a animal feed lab for an evaluation. Hoping it is ok as I have fed Tutu this for a few weeks.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heads up Lotus Pet Foods and you crappy cat food manufacturers. I wrote the CA Dept. of Health and they requested info on the cans. Date best by, bar code, etc. I’m hoping for a recall or a CA prop 65 warning required as it has a toxic substance in it that should not be fed to cats.
Now I’m feeding Tutu Instinct LID rabbit but I’m not thrilled with the phosphorous level and also read a post on Amazon that the Montmorillonite Clay could have heavy metals in it so I sent it in to a animal feed lab for an evaluation. Hoping it is ok as I have fed Tutu this for a few weeks.
Now I’m switching to Rayne Diagnostic rabbit mixed with Instinct to bring the phosphorus level down. I would go all Rayne phosphorus is .54 DMA but it is missing vitamins. I tried to add a little Balance IT K feline but it made the food terribly bitter and Tutu threw it up then refused to eat it. Any suggestions for vitamin mineral supplement?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you try some Instinct Rabbit mixed into Identity Rabbit? I don’t prepare raw here, I would need a full cafeteria but I know that supplements for cooking and raw diet are sold to add. Look at those to add to whatever Tutu will eat. Maybe it would be a simple addition without a lot of prep work.