Cyanide in cat food from Flaxseed &Tapioca (Yucca, Cassava)

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Flaxseed and tapioca (cassava or Yucca) cause cyanide is cat food that is toxic for cats and I’m fed up. I read some articles about flaxseed being banned or warned on using in France and Sweden. One reason mentioned was flaxseed causes cyanide in food. I had three Lotus rabbit pate cans tested at Nutridata Lab for cyanide and they showed an unacceptable level of cyanide for my cat. My cat has been eating this for months. I hope she is ok. It is ridiculous this is added into cat food.
So I’m looking for another rabbit pate and can’t find one not excessively high in protein that she needs for her kidney failure. I’m finding other things added in that are rediculous like barley or yeast. The latest is fenugreek seeds in another rabbit cat food. I have been consulting with the principal toxicologist of pesticide and veterinary medicine on Australia who wrote an article I found on cyanide in animal feed in Merck Veterinary Manual. I’m asking her about the safety of fenugreek seeds too.
Then there’s the canned food that has guar gum, cassia gum xanthan gum and carrageenan that all cause inflammation and allergic reactions. All of this added in is rediculous!!!!
Where is a low protein and low phosphorus unique protein cat food that is good for an elderly cat with IBD and kidney issues. Older cats tend to be allergic to chicken as is my cat and she is also sensitive to fish. So why are most kidney formulas chicken?
I am fed up. I am elderly and disabled. If I could stand up I’d cook for myself and my cat. There’s a company ”Just food for dogs” that cooks for cats and their stupid nutritionist insisted on including Yucca - cassava - tapioca even though that causes cyanide in the cat food too and even when I pointed it out to them they refused to formulate it differently.
I have asked Lotus Pet Foods to reduce dramatically or remove the flaxseed and sent them the Nutridata Lab food test on their food that showed Cyanide and the recommendations of the toxicologist but so far no response.
I’m fed up. Are you? Please tell the pet food companies how you feel about this and try to convince them to do things safer for our cats!!!!!!!

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Understand your frustrations. But what's wrong with high protein? It's perfectly natural for cats. I stopped feeding the lotus pates because yes they are excessive in the carbs they add in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Understand your frustrations. But what's wrong with high protein? It's perifectly natural for cats. I stopped feeding the lotus pates because yes they are excessive in the carbs they add in there.
Kidney failure requires a lower percent of protein to protect the kidneys. This is a known fact. Checked with multiple expert kidney vets and the only thing that slows down kidney failure is changing the food. No red meat and lower protein helped my cat switching from c cc’denison to rabbit with some veggies. Green beans, carrots, pumpkin are ok for some vitamins and filler and healthier than all the gums and many of the seeds.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kidney failure requires a lower percent of protein to protect the kidneys. This is a known fact. Checked with multiple expert kidney vets and the only thing that slows down kidney failure is changing the food. No red meat and lower protein helped my cat switching from c cc’denison to rabbit with some veggies. Green beans, carrots, pumpkin are ok for some vitamins and filler and healthier than all the gums and many of the seeds.
Yes but cats are obligate carnivores. They thrive on high protein but they can survive on lower. What would be immensely beneficial is if you look for lower phosphorus foods. Rabbit usually contains higher phosphorus unless they use boneless. Bone is very dense in phosphorus and foods with rabbit in them usually contain more bone because rabbit meat is expensive. Phosphorus hurts compromised kidneys. There's a database of some foods here by phosphorus levels on a dry matter basis here:

https://felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

You can also give some fish oil daily because of its anti-inflammatory effects because kidney disease is inflammatory.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has also has inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatitis. She is allergic to chicken, fish, lamb, duck, pork, beef, kangaroo, duck, sweet potato, potato, chick pea, soy and wheat. I was advised not to give her red meat. No more venison or beef. She was not doing well on venison. She did much better on Lotus rabbit pate when her kidney function went normal and only elevated a little when she gained back her weight. I definitely will check out the list you directed me to but I do not want to expose her to anything that increases her inflammatory reactions. There are often mixed proteins involved and chicken or fish that she is allergic to added in. The other problem is finding some of the food on the list. Thanks for the direction that might be of help. Went through the list might be a couple a little bit lower in phosphorus and/or protein. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has also has inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatitis. She is allergic to chicken, fish, lamb, duck, pork, beef, kangaroo, duck, sweet potato, potato, soy and wheat. I was advised not to give her red meat. No more venison or beef. She was not doing well on venison. She did much better on Lotus rabbit pate when her kidney function went normal and only elevated a little when she gained back her weight. I definitely will check out the list you directed me to but I do not want to expose her to anything that increases her inflammatory reactions. There are often mixed proteins involved and chicken or fish that she is allergic to added in. The other problem is finding some of the food on the list. Thanks for the direction that might be of help.
I see. Here's some single protein turkey and rabbit stuff I use. They may be high protein though but they really do have minimal carbs which would include grains and vegetable matter like chickpeas.

Dr. Elsey's Turkey Clean Protein Pate
Redbarn Naturals Turkey Pate
Hound & Gatos Rabbit Pate
Rawz Rabbit Pate

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions on food. There are a couple there I will look into. She is allergic to fish - no extra fish oil. So far Lotus Rabbit Pate is lower in phosphorus to most of the Turkey or Rabbit formulas I’ve looked at. I might be able to keep her on Lotus rabbit pate in spite of the flaxseed cyanide problem because it is at a very low level. I have a nuitritionist looking into it now. All the other food I’ve looked at are higher in phosphorus. Low phosphorus is needed for kidney failure. Tutu is on Budesonide and Pepsid AC that help with her inflammation. There are a variety of meds she is on. She has an internal medicine veterinary expert and just when Covid broke out her vet moved to Nashville. I have a new vet we haven’t started with yet. I can’t go out. I am at very high risk. I hope I either find a perfect food to switch to or Tutu is ok to stay on her current food or better yet Lotus stops adding or reduces the amount of flaxseed in their formula

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also the carbs if clean veggies ie: green beans, carrots, squash are good to add into the formula for a kidney diet to help reduce phosphorus and protein so long as the carbs aren’t potato, sweet potato, or chick peas or something she is sensitive to.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Send us a link to contact Lotus and we’ll back you up in your request to them. Strength in numbers. Be well Tutu!!
I understand the feeling of frustration. I have done battle with cat food companies too. Others have as well. :alright: Bravo on getting the food tested!

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Send us a link to contact Lotus and we’ll back you up in your request to them. Strength in numbers. Be well Tutu!!
I understand the feeling of frustration. I have done battle with cat food companies too. Others have as well. :alright: Bravo on getting the food tested!
Their email is:

[email protected]

Please ask them to remove the flaxseed or at least tremendously reduce the amount of flaxseed added into their rabbit and other pates because it puts cyanide into the food and we do not want to be poisoning our cats with toxic exposures when we feed them.

It really is the best cat food for her so far and I really hope they change this. Thanks for your support and pass this along.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with CKD don't need low protein. This is a misconception that stems from the idea that one cannot create a low phosphorus diet without lowering protein. Cats with CKD do better with lower phosphorous in their diet, but they still very much require a high amount of animal protein. Most commercial foods that are low phosphorous are unfortunately also low protein because it would be too expensive for companies to try and increase protein while also lowering phosphorous at the same time, but it has been done in the past by companies such as Rad Cat. It is also possible if one chooses to make their own homemade diet.

Also the carbs if clean veggies ie: green beans, carrots, squash are good to add into the formula for a kidney diet to help reduce phosphorus and protein so long as the carbs aren’t potato, sweet potato, or chick peas or something she is sensitive to.
Carbs are unnecessary for all cats (except in trace amounts) and are not required for lowering phosphorous.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with CKD don't need low protein. This is a misconception that stems from the idea that one cannot create a low phosphorus diet without lowering protein. Cats with CKD do better with lower phosphorous in their diet, but they still very much require a high amount of animal protein. Most commercial foods that are low phosphorous are unfortunately also low protein because it would be too expensive for companies to try and increase protein while also lowering phosphorous at the same time, but it has been done in the past by companies such as Rad Cat. It is also possible if one chooses to make their own homemade diet.

Carbs are unnecessary for all cats (except in trace amounts) and are not required for lowering phosphorous.
I have done some research about the protein debate as well. Although vets may vary in their opinion, it does appear that opinions are shifting and that protein may may not need to be lowered as previously thought. I would suggest you research the subject and latest studies for Tutu. Maybe that will expand your options?

I did write the company after researching the flaxseed use in cat food. Processing is an important part in that and I can see that one poorly processed batch could be really bad! I expressed this and requested they remove that ingredient. I also attempted a positive spin in that the food would be touted as a great food for compromised kitties and the information would be shared freely so perhaps their sales would receive a boost if they met the criteria. Sometimes it takes a hope of increased income for the company to take any action. I hope it works and Tutu gets her food! Please keep us updated!

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow did not know this. Gosh. There's so many ingredients to watch out for!!
So Jcatbird Jcatbird , is it that some flax seed can be alright, so long as it's proccessed a certain way that minimizes the release of cyanide? A lot of the foods I've fed have flax/fenugreek or tapioca/yucca...had no idea these result in cyanide?? Is there anywhere to read more about this? I'm now wondering about psyllium? is there a safe source of fiber?

I hope you find a workable solution for your companion Jojo&Tutu Jojo&Tutu the world of pet food is so frustrating. I don't understand why that Just Food for Dogs company wouldnt forumate without Yucca/tapioca?? Why? It's not necessary to formulate foods that meet AAFCO standards

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time 2 Recognize Time 2 Recognize From what I found, heat microwave or other methods can keep the cyanide content down if processed correctly. Compounds in the flaxseed , when combined with water can form cyanide. I also found flaxseed referred to as linseed. Although Flax can have nutritional value and is used in human foods, I suspect the leftover meals should not be trusted as a filler in animal foods but may be a source used at times. Hard to know whether it is that or improper processing or other factors but there is no doubt that flax seed can form cyanide.
A simple google search can bring lots of sources for information on this subject and most will give you the basic information. There are more detailed scientific articles about extruding the toxins but you get the idea. I encourage everyone to be active in asking pet food companies to keep their products safe and always notify them of any issues you may have. If they don’t know, we need to inform them so they can take action to correct the problem. If they do know, we need to let them know we are aware and share that information with other consumers to keep our kitties safe.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what I found, heat microwave or other methods can keep the cyanide content down if processed correctly. Compounds in the flaxseed , when combined with water can form cyanide. I also found flaxseed referred to as linseed. Although Flax can have nutritional value and is used in human foods, I suspect the leftover meals should not be trusted as a filler in animal foods but may be a source used at times. Hard to know whether it is that or improper processing or other factors but there is no doubt that flax seed can form cyanide.
A simple google search can bring lots of sources for information on this subject and most will give you the basic information. There are more detailed scientific articles about extruding the toxins but you get the idea. I encourage everyone to be active in asking pet food companies to keep their products safe and always notify them of any issues you may have. If they don’t know, we need to inform them so they can take action to correct the problem. If they do know, we need to let them know we are aware and share that information with other consumers to keep our kitties safe.
Thank you, yeah I started searching around to see what I could find. Printed one more scientific article to read tomorrow, but also saw this blog post from Feline Nutrition. Sounds like if the flax is boiled, that greatly reduces the issue. So I guess then it comes to if manufacturers are cooking the foods with the flax added or properly pre-boiling it, would that solve the problem....but of course then it's putting trust in companies to be honest about all of that which is hard to do even if they claim processing in a way that poses little risk...

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time 2 Recognize Time 2 Recognize I saw that same post. It seems that centrifuge processing as well as other methods have been used or tried. It’s more than just a matter of trust. Even the most diligent company can make mistakes. That’s why we must keep each other informed about problems and encourage manufacturers to police themselves. Notifying manufacturers as well when we are concerned about contents or methods of preparation. Their is strength in numbers and supporting each other can make a difference.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird it makes me wonder if there is a simple way for companies to be able to test for cyanide levels on batches, or at least random batches periodically to ensure the way they are processing is reliably working. Sounds like something that would have to be enforced or required of companies to do...which would be difficult

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has also has inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatitis. She is allergic to chicken, fish, lamb, duck, pork, beef, kangaroo, duck, sweet potato, potato, chick pea, soy and wheat. I was advised not to give her red meat. No more venison or beef. She was not doing well on venison. She did much better on Lotus rabbit pate when her kidney function went normal and only elevated a little when she gained back her weight. I definitely will check out the list you directed me to but I do not want to expose her to anything that increases her inflammatory reactions. There are often mixed proteins involved and chicken or fish that she is allergic to added in. The other problem is finding some of the food on the list. Thanks for the direction that might be of help. Went through the list might be a couple a little bit lower in phosphorus and/or protein. Any suggestions are welcome.
My cat had IBD, pancreatitis, and liver inflammation
I fed her rawz rabbit. protein was never an issue
So what can your cat eat?

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jojo&Tutu Jojo&Tutu what about this company called Fetching Foods? I don’t know anything about it but, their recipe seems to just have psyllium husk. Not sure where that falls into place with regard to cyanide, but I wasn’t able to find anything about it online myself. Perhaps it could be cooked, or it seems they have a cooked/custom option So maybe they can help you if you contact them with what you are looking for?

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have done some research about the protein debate as well. Although vets may vary in their opinion, it does appear that opinions are shifting and that protein may may not need to be lowered as previously thought. I would suggest you research the subject and latest studies for Tutu. Maybe that will expand your options?

I did write the company after researching the flaxseed use in cat food. Processing is an important part in that and I can see that one poorly processed batch could be really bad! I expressed this and requested they remove that ingredient. I also attempted a positive spin in that the food would be touted as a great food for compromised kitties and the information would be shared freely so perhaps their sales would receive a boost if they met the criteria. Sometimes it takes a hope of increased income for the company to take any action. I hope it works and Tutu gets her food! Please keep us updated!
Thank you so much for your support!!!