CVS Closing Stores

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just read that CVS is closing 300 stores this year to be followed by 300 more in 2022 and another 300 in 2023. Wow

We don't go to CVS that often, largely because the service at our store isn't really all that great. CVS does have prescription meds at Target, so I wonder if they'll keep them or give them back to Target. That's where we get our meds.

They opened two big stores locally a few years ago. More empty big boxes in the area, if they close. What a shame.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hardly ever go to CVS. We have a bunch of them around here and every one of them is across the street from a Walgreens. Is it like that anywhere else? I doubt it's a coincidence. I don't take any prescriptions but if I did, I'd likely get them from Publix or Walmart for a one time thing but if it were recurring I'd probably get it mail order. I buy vitamins, personal care stuff, etc from Amazon with my subscribe and save.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I also heard CVS will eventually be closing a total of 900 stores over the next three years. When one of our daughters was younger she needed a specific medicine that CVS was able to get for her but not Walgreens. They were extremely helpful so we started shopping there. On the news this morning I heard they were planning to offer more health care and digital services. I'm hoping the one nearest our house will remain open.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when they were putting up different drug stores on practicularly every corner. Now it seems like more and more are closing. With CVS going, I guess that means Walgreens will be the only one left.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I hadn't seen that. It isn't our usual pharmacy, but we've got a couple of CVS stores in our town. I'll have to see if they're on the chopping block.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a shame for people who use CVS.
I do not. I used CVS many years ago; eventually finding their service sub standard; scripts nort ready when promised, rude techs..,

I went back to Rite Aid. Some of them be are now owned by Walgreens. There are not many Rite-aids around. I find the staff to be personable, caring.

I refuse to get mail order, due to it being from CVS. I feel it is a monopoly, without personal care. I have been paying the extra price for both my pets y overage and for scripts, just to keep my Rite Aid.

Also, I get instant 20% off my non scripts, instead of using the endless length of coupons, as CVS Has.

The staff at my local RA sincerely cares for their customers. Very personal.

I think CVS will be focusing on mail order and mini-health clinics. Just my opinion.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hardly ever go to CVS. We have a bunch of them around here and every one of them is across the street from a Walgreens. Is it like that anywhere else?

Not where I live but I know of other nearby towns where there is a Walgreens and CVS across the street from each other. One town even has 2 CVS stores within a half block of each other plus a Walgreens across the street from one of the CVS stores :dunno:

I hope the CVS in town doesn't close. It's a 24/7 one and it's convenient to stop by after work to pick up a few things.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some people need CVS and I do get that. I never go there, not even for a box of kleenex, due to way too many negative experiences with prescriptions ranging from one emergency for me several years ago in the middle of the night (they were refusing to fill prescriptions unless you paid up front and telling everyone that their insurance had denied the claim because they did not want to be bothered making calls). Finally, they messed with my dog's prescription for Tramadol and refused an open refill when I only had one left as it was a controlled substance. Like I was going to sell one Tramadol on the black market.

I could get my current prescriptions more cheaply with my drug plan if I would go to a CVS rather than the pharmacy I choose (which is covered but not "preferred"). I hate to see people lose their jobs, but it became a question of honor that I never go to a CVS. Not like I hold grudges or ever try to get even.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the CVS pharmacies in this area are pretty small. They sell some things but not a huge variety of of merchandise. Pharmacies don't make their money off of prescriptions they make their money off of the merchandise that they sell. That is what put a lot of the independent pharmacies out of business. With some of the big insurers the pharmacy actually pays people to fill their prescriptions but if the independents aren't under contract with the big insurance companies they won't have very many people come in to fill prescriptions. Without foot traffic they don't sell the merchandise that they make money on.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't miss it if they close some around here. There are three of them within about a mile of me. I don't know how they can justify that. Used to shop there more because it was close, but I don't now because their customer service sucks and I usually can find it cheaper elsewhere.