Cutting Hair

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were first married, like most, we were poor as church mice. We heard about a home barbering kit and decided it would be a good way to save money.

The kit arrived and, electric clippers and comb in hand, I began to cut Robert's hair. It did NOT go well and I stopped when the carnage got too bad. However, to this day he blames me for his bald spot.

Later he decided to trim my bangs. It was like leveling table legs. One side was always longer than the other. By the time he was finished, I had very short bristles sticking out from my forehead.

We never tried home haircuts again.

So, the question is

Who cuts your hair? Do it yourself? Friend? Beauty or barber school? Salon? High-end hair spa? What's the worst haircut you ever had?

Tell all. Post a photo if you're really brave.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only get mine cut once or twice a year at a little place in town. They do an excellent job.

I don't think I've ever had a truly bad cut.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go to a salon that is part of a chain though their prices have been going up. I always go to the same salon. I also get my highlights and lowlights done there. They have a card there for me with the color combination used so I have not had any disasters. The cuts vary as to how good they are but I have had no disasters.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I go to Ulta every 4-5 weeks for a root touch-up. Every other visit, I get a trim and every three months I get a complete color. I used to color my own hair, but made an incredible mess in the bathroom.

The worst hair cut I ever had was when I was in eighth grade. Mom said we were going for a "trim". At that time I had hair down almost to my waist. When I left, my ears were showing and they actually shaved my neck. It took two people to hold me down at the salon. We got home and Mom and Dad had a huge fight about it; Dad was more than ready to buy a wig for me. Quite honestly, it looked horrid. The kids at school made fun of me, Rick was horrified and he questioned my mother's sanity. Mom, of course, thought it looked adorable. It took forever to grow that mess back out. To this day, I am very nervous about hair cuts and "trims".

I go in next Friday for a root touch-up and I am going to have my hair (which is down below my bra line) cut to right below my shoulders and layered. And yes, I am very nervous about the whole thing!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I've always cut my own hair. I only have bangs and then long hair so it's easy to do. I also cut Jon's hair when he wants a business cut.

I used to study textbooks from hair cutting school and they lay out the pattern of design. As a child or teen my mom let me practice on her hair. I also feather cut the sides when I was younger. I gave up with salons because it never looked good after 2 days plus my hair has cowlicks and they never listen to me. Plus I am cheap. I have cut a few others who seemed happy with what I could do. One lady was a friend's mom. She wanted a short mens cut. She wanted it easy to care for and salon never cut it short enough for her liking. I told her go to a barber shop and they will do it like this.

The worse cut was 8th grade. I wanted it short because I was cycling and needed it easy to deal with. They cut it very short then shaved the back of ny neck which resulted in a horrible rash. I was picked on forever because i had to put this cream on the back of my neck...that was when I learned I was allergic to razors or they went against the growth of hair. It was horrible. That's one reason I wil not go back to a salon. I had my hair cut at a salon 3 times since working where I am...15 years. Its been 5 or 6 years since stepped in a salon.

I have colored it myself. Its again been years. I stopped because it does make a mess.but I am too cheap to pay $150+ for a coloring. I did chop off a foot of my hair earlier this year but I don't think I am getting it colored anytime soon.

I have always been fascinated with hair and coloring anyways. It was always something I dabbled in...

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been going to the same salon for over 20 years. The mother just retired and the daughter now does my hair. I get a perm once a year and my hair cut 4 times a year.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I learned how to cut and layer my own hair when I was in college. We used to have what was called "frosting" parties in the dorm lounge, i.e. similar to highlighting. Once out of college I've always gone to a salon every 2-3 months.

The worst haircut and I will never forget it was after my first child was born. I did not want to travel the distance to my salon at that time so went to my husband's cousin who was co-owner of a beauty shop nearby. I said I just wanted a trim to shape things up. We were chatting away and the next thing I knew my hair was so short it looked like Liza Minelli. :yelling: (No offense to her.) It literally took over two years to grow out and I never, ever went to a relative again!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to cut my own hair and my husband and kids when they were home. Now I only cut my husbands. I would still cut mine but with age I am not as flexible as I was back then. Worst cut I ever got was when I went to the salon I usually go to and a guy cut my hair. I told him I wanted it easy to care for - wash and go. I walked out looking like a man! I colored my own hair for years, but one day I decided to stop - I earned those gray hairs so why cover them up?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever had a disastrous haircut. Some are worse than others but nothing awful. I used to fluff my bangs up in the early '90s, which I now think was disastrous, but back then I thought it was cool, lol. I keep it short now, almost man-short. I just go to the haircut place at Walmart, they do a decent job and are cheap.

When my hair was long I'd cut my own bangs and did a fairly good job of it. I tried cutting it myself a few months ago but I wasn't so good at it. I stopped before it turned into a disaster, it looked OK enough that I waited a few days before going to the salon to have it evened up. I could probably get better with practice, but I'm still finding little hairs all over the bathroom so I'm just going to let the salon people deal with the mess.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have very long hair and have most of my life so I haven't had many hair cuts. I used to trim my own bangs but I let them grow out and I don't have to worry about that now. DH trims the bottom for me now and then. I haven't been to a salon in years.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
For trims I do them at home, but when I went from long hair to a pixie I went to the salon so it would turn out more professional! It's much easier to deal with now because I run long-distance a lot, and dance too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kids and I go to a salon to get ours done. DD and I only get it done about twice a year. Sometimes I go a year or longer but it really doesn't look good when I do that. DS goes every 6-8 weeks. I had it cut shorter than usual last time so I'm getting more mileage out of his current cut. ;)

I cut DH's hair with trimmers at home. He prefers it short; although not as short as he used to when we were newlyweds. I've only messed it up a few times. And nothing too bad. Since he wears it so short it wasn't super obvious.

I'm ready for a trim now. I really do feel better about myself when I've had my hair cut. It's easy to neglect myself in favor of everyone else's needs. But good grooming is part of taking care of yourself right? I've delayed cuts so I could make a more substantial donation; but I don't think I will be doing that anymore. It just looks bad.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend from high school is a stylist at the salon my grandma actually worked at so I see my friend there and then run into people who know my grandma.

The worst haircut I got wasn't bad because it was poorly cut, but because I thought it was a style I could pull off but because of my size it wasn't good fit. See below.
Screenshot_2018-05-22-23-17-55_kindlephoto-840040714.png

This is my haircut now that I had done last Thursday. I'm about 180 pounds lighter now so I feel I'm better able to pull off a short cut.
FB_IMG_1527048671201.jpg