Cutting Cats Time Outdoors, Cruel Or For The Best?

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I’ve decided recently that I’ve had enough of my cat getting into fights, hurting herself literally every week and going the vets so much I’ll have my own parking space soon.

I’ve never let her out at night I’ve always let her out in the morning about 6 and left the window open for her to come in and out as she pleases for food/water and shelter. I then call her in about 6pm and she always usually comes straight in hungry.

But over the last 6 months she has been acting strange, she is always fighting and getting a abscess/wound to the point where she has so many over her body. She’s clumsy aswell like she will climb trees and she has fell and hurt her rear leg.

I’ve now decided to let her out in the morning and then when I come home for food at lunch I’ll get her in and keep her in until the following morning, she has toys etc to play with but does anyone think this is cruel keeping her locked in all day and night or for the best for her health?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, the majority of cat owners on this site have indoor cats, so we would not think that is cruel at all. It's safest to keep cats inside. You just need to make sure that the cat has enough entertainment indoors (toys of various types, cat tree(s), and scratching posts).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, the majority of cat owners on this site have indoor cats, so we would not think that is cruel at all. It's safest to keep cats inside. You just need to make sure that the cat has enough entertainment indoors (toys of various types, cat tree(s), and scratching posts).
Thanks, she is forever going the vets so I wanted to cut her time outdoors a lot but I just wasn’t sure how an outdoor cat would cope with the change so much. She is a naughty cat even when she was out all day so I’m just dreading her smashing the house up.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, she is forever going the vets so I wanted to cut her time outdoors a lot but I just wasn’t sure how an outdoor cat would cope with the change so much. She is a naughty cat even when she was out all day so I’m just dreading her smashing the house up.
I've never facilitated the transition from outdoors to indoors myself, but there are plenty of people on this site who have, and I'm sure they'll be along to give advice. For now, know that it can absolutely be done!

Also, is she spayed? I'm assuming so, since you didn't mention pregnancies as an issue, but if not, that would help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never facilitated the transition from outdoors to indoors myself, but there are plenty of people on this site who have, and I'm sure they'll be along to give advice. For now, know that it can absolutely be done!

Also, is she spayed? I'm assuming so, since you didn't mention pregnancies as an issue, but if not, that would help.
Yes she is spayed she is just naughty in general and a bit of a mardarse aswell and fussy eater. She will happily come say hello and sit on your lap for 5-10 minutes. I’ll just have to see how it goes and ignore her crying to go out. She also has a clean litter tray to use but she more interested in making a mess and playing with the litter.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how hard it is to keep them safe, but eventually the dangers of being outside catches up with them. Even after 12 years I came home to find my beloved Casper dead, and I had tried so many times to keep him in. You have to weigh the happiness of her being outside to the dangers, and the dangers will always win. My three remaining cats are all inside cats now, and though they act once in a while like they want to go out, they are for the most part, content. a small child may want to play in the street, but that does not mean we let them. We are the adult and know what dangers lurk there. We have to be strong. There are large dogs, cars, feral cats and so many other dangers out there, it is just not worth it. if you want for her to have a placxe outdoors, build her a 'catuary'. she could still have her open window to go in and out. those new chicken coops might be something to consider too. That way she can still be outdoors and be safe.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is probably a new cat(s) in the neighborhood that she keeps fighting with. Our semi-feral has a ‘enemy’ down the block he used to fight with all the time.

If you can afford it, I would buy or make the fencing toppers so she can not get out of your backyard (she would still have access to the outside 25/7 but she would be safe from other cats.) If you can’t afford the fencing I would make her a catio or train her to be on a harness/get harness walks. I just bought a 26 foot lead dog training leash for my boy to try out, to give him more freedom in his harness.

:goodluck: