Kitten with breathing issues

cateiin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little kitty has a respiratory issue and the vet(s) said there isn't anything that can really be done about. She snorts and snores a lot and she has tons of mucous sometimes. She seems like a happy little girl, but sometimes she has a hard time breathing. We recently started putting her in the bathroom so the steam from the shower will help her. Was just curious if anyone else had any ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
If the vet said not much can be done it sounds like herpes.
That would also explain the eye issues.
Once a cat has it, s/he has it for life.

I once had a cat with herpes (FHV-1). It would flare up if she was stressed (I once put her in a cattery while I was a way.. that's how I found out she had it as the stress brought it on. Needless to say, no more catteries, not just because of the stress to her, but because it is highly contagious).
Steaming is really useful. I would set my girl up in her cat basket with a bowl of steaming water at the front, and rig up a blanket over chairs around it, to help hold the steam in. Just don't make it too intense. But taking her into the shower whenever you go is also a good way to do it. The basket thing was more when it was a bad attack.
Periodically she would need help from the vet, for medications that can help during a bad attack.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of good respiratory meds on amazon and pet med sites, she might benefit from one of them. One I keep around for upper respiratory problems is 'Nose Relief'. What helped the most against viruses though has been a immune system supplement called DMG. since my cats have been on it they haven't been sick NEAR as often! Keeping your little one inside at all times and away from other sick cats would help too.