Cute kitten: breed, long or short hair?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, he's adorable! I agree he's closer to 6 weeks, probably not 8. What do you know about his background?

The vast majority of cats have no breed background at all. We call them domestic shorthairs/longhairs. He's a brown tabby domestic shorthair, I don't think he's smoke but I'm no expert on that so I'll let someone else weigh in.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is adorable, and I agree he appears to be significantly younger than 8 weeks in these pictures! Did he have a mom and littermates or was he being fostered alone?

His color appears to be brown tabby (black-based tabby), not smoke. We can't see his tabby pattern well in these pictures, but since you describe him as having stripes, his pattern is probably mackerel tabby. He looks like he is probably a shorthair, but at this age it could go either way... he could become more fluffy as he develops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Felixkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness, he's adorable! I agree he's closer to 6 weeks, probably not 8. What do you know about his background?

The vast majority of cats have no breed background at all. We call them domestic shorthairs/longhairs. He's a brown tabby domestic shorthair, I don't think he's smoke but I'm no expert on that so I'll let someone else weigh in.
Unfortunately
He is adorable, and I agree he appears to be significantly younger than 8 weeks in these pictures! Did he have a mom and littermates or was he being fostered alone?

His color appears to be brown tabby (black-based tabby), not smoke. We can't see his tabby pattern well in these pictures, but since you describe him as having stripes, his pattern is probably mackerel tabby. He looks like he is probably a shorthair, but at this age it could go either way... he could become more fluffy as he develops.
ALL I know that his mom left him so they took care of him until he's ready to be adopted. The clinic told me he's 2 months old and should be ready to take vaccinations after 15 days. Here is some more pictures of him
20200612_223850.jpg
20200612_124113.jpg

Attachments

Felixkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Unfortunately I don't have any background information at all but thanks a lot for your comment 🌹

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that he may be a little behind in the development curve since he was fostered alone, but he should catch up. It looks like he's getting plenty of love and mental stimulation at this point!

Since he is still a baby, keep in mind that you are playing the role of his mom and siblings in teaching him self-control and polite behavior. You want him to grow up to be a gentleman, so don't ever let him bite and claw your fingers... even if his little tiny claws and teeth don't do much at this age :) Use toys when you play with him, so that he has something other than human skin to bite, claw, and kick. Enjoy raising your cute little fellow!

Felixkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my third post here and I fell in love with this website. I'm just curious about the hair length of my 7 weeks male kitten. He looks much more fluffy than usual short hair kittens so I was wondering if he could possibly be a long hair. I noticed that he has really long hair especially along his back. Side Note:The veterinary shaved the area around his neck looking for any parasites.
20200612_223850.jpg
20200614_171527.jpg
20200614_104818.jpg
Screenshot_20200614-164823_Cat Scanner.jpg
20200611_170043.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this age, it's difficult to know for sure. He does look fuzzy in these pictures, but shorthaired kittens often look very fuzzy at this age, too, due to "kitten coat." His coat will go through many changes as he develops. If he is longhaired, he will become fluffier, and if he is shorthaired, he will become less fluffy :)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah I mean honestly to me that kitten looks like 6 weeks old and that age is a bit hard to tell due to how extreme their kitten fuzz is. How much does he weigh? That can help with guesstimating age. I think longhair but it's hard to say right now.