Cut on ear

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oscar has ear mites and has been scratching his ears. Before I moved, he used to fight with my parent's cats and one of them scratched just inside his ear what the hair starts. He must have scratched it open cause he's bleeding a little. It's happened before and it stops eventually. Is there any cat neosporin or like "band-aids" I can put on the cut to prevent it from happening again?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he being treated for the ear mites? There are a few things that can get rid of the mites. There is Triple Antibiotic Ointment you can get from the vet, typically used on the eyes but can be used anywhere really. Call the vet and ask if there is something you can get or put on it but they will probably require you to bring him in. You really need to though if he hasn't been treated for the ear mites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is currently being treated for the mites. I'm just wondering if there is something I can by OTC for the cut on his ear. Can I use human antibiotic ointment or is there something else I can do?

kimba67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something like Neosporin is normally just fine to use on kitty cuts. However, in this case, before using it you'll want to ask your vet to make sure it will not interfere with the ear mite medication. If it's ok to use, dab a little hydrogen peroxide on the scratch before applying the ointment to make sure it's good and clean.