Curry Recipes?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curry is good, for many reasons. Some are fast and easy, others slower, all (to me at least) wonderful.

This is a slow-cooked curry, good for a winter's night.

INGREDIENTS
3 - 4 pound uncooked beef shank steaks (cut across the grain, bone in the middle)
4 - 5 bell peppers, cut up seeds removed
1 - 12 jalapeno peppers cut up, seeds removed if you don't like heat
1 large red or white onion, diced
1 - 12 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
5-10 roma tomatoes, fresh are best, cut up, overripe okay
Curry powder to taste
1" piece of frozen ginger root, shaved with grater
Salt to taste
1 cup water (or beef broth if you're feeling fancy)

PROCEDURE

In cast iron pot or skillet that's big enough, brown the beef shank steaks, a few at a time, till nice and brown on both sides, but still raw inside; set aside.

When beef shank steaks all browned, put back in pot, turn heat to medium, add water or broth, and let boil uncovered, turning meat pieces so they all get cooked.

When liquid is about half cooked away, add garlic, tomatoes, bell and jalapeno peppers, ginger, salt and curry powder (I'll use about 1 - 2 tablespoons; some people like it better with more or less)

Cook uncovered until meat is tender; usually 1 - 2 hours. Should be melt-in-your mouth tender. Fat and connective tissue should soften or melt. There will be fat in the sauce; if you hate that, let sit and spoon off and discard or use to cook something else.

Serve with cooked rice, potatoes, or big noodles. (And, beer, sweet wine or sweet tea.)

VARIATIONS & NOTES

Lamb or pork shank steaks will work, too.

I usually make a big batch, then refrigerate or freeze what I can't eat right away. Keeps for months frozen. Thaw and eat when ready.

Too spicy to give to Great Great Grandma, though, sorry sweetie . . . .

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I love curry dishes! I’ll have to give this one a try. I usually cheat and buy Trader Joe’s yellow curry, throw in some coconut milk, veggies and shredded chicken and simmer for a bit. I like the idea a of a curry slow cooker meal, though.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the korean curry powder and add beef, potatos, carrots and onions. It's an easy meal to prepare. But I also enjoy eating indian and thai curries at restaurants since I don't know how to make them myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curry can be solid (I once made what became an edible curry brick!), and liquid, including curry shrimp soup.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make an African curry from Mozambique, but I alter it and play around with it.

This is the base recipe
1 T olive oil
1 onion (chopped/diced/whatever)
1-2 cloves of minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 can of whole, peeled tomatoes, drained
2 t curry powder
salt
1 lb of meat (chicken, crab,shrimp)
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1 lemon

Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bay leaf, and saute until onion is lightly browned. Mix tomatoes, curry powder, and salt into the skillet, and continue cooking about 5 minutes. If using chicken, cut add it now and cook accordingly.

Reduce skillet heat to low. Stirring constantly, gradually blend in the coconut milk over a period of about 10 minutes. If using crab or shrimp, add it now. Mix in lemon juice just before serving. Serve with rice and flatbread.

Here are my alterations:
Leave out tomatoes. (I am allergic.)
I have only made it with chicken, and, when I add the chicken, I add a can of chickpeas. (I actually reduce the chicken to a single chicken breast of average size and add extra chickpeas.)
Sometimes I add cauliflower.
I increase the amount of curry powder to three teaspoons and I toast it before adding it to the sauteed onions. (I use either Rani Mild Curry Powder, Vadouvan Curry Blend, a blend from a health food store near my mother-in-law, or the curry blend from Mountain Rose Herbs.)
I add 2 bay leaves.
I add turmeric powder (about 1 t).
I add a dash of cinnamon and ginger.
I substitute lime for lemon. I like the lift it gives.

If I plan ahead, I make Lebanese Mountain Bread. Usually, though, I make a basic yogurt flatbread.