Current Socializing Situation Need Advice

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have 4 semi feral kittens (4 months) I'm trying to socialize in hopes of getting them into a rescue.
1. Bastian 2. Dash 3. Chloe 4. Ash

Bastian is fully socialized and has been for some time. :happycat: Dash is making headway, I can hold him and pet him and he does purr. Chloe will not run from me but she doesn't really want to be touched and I get scratched a lot. :nono: Ash is very shy and will let me touch him only so much.

They were all free in my out building but progress was null so I put the 3 in large crates.

1. Bastian helps in some ways because when I put him with one of the other 3 they are a little more receptive of me. but he is 4 months old and if I can get him into a shelter I think it would be a good time. So I am torn whether to keep him to 'help' me or try to get him a home??

2. I did read that when you have a litter you need to separate them so they rely solely on you for interaction, food, play.... will putting blankets up so they cannot see each other help with the separation because I only have one building to put them.

It's starting to cool down here and originally I was going to TNR if I couldn't socialize, but I would have to return them to my place of work by our parking lot and they would like be run over or crawl into someone's engine. Plus they've had some socialization.

The other problem is momma had another litter and she will be faithfully bringing them to the shed by our parking lot. I need to trap them and prayerfully her to finally get her fixed.

Thanks looking forward to hearing from you.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all - I'm SO glad you're here, where lots and lots of us have experience with the issues you've described, and you're sure to get lots of great advice, so never be afraid to ask anything. Someone's probably gone through it and has suggestions! And, as I always say, this site also has alot of folks with big shoulders, who come in awfully handy when you just need someone to lean on when it's been a tough day. And socializing can be very tough (but it can also be the most rewarding thing in the world!).

Secondly - you're doing a wonderful thing just in caring about them. Too many people just look the other way. :sigh: So a big Site hug for caring for these little ones (and their mamma!).

I know you've got alot of balls in the air (so to speak) with this litter, their mamma, and now a new litter. Many people don't know this, but kittens are able to reproduce as early as 4 months! :jawdrop: And they aren't discriminating - - - a littermate will do just fine as a mate - - so all of the 4 month olds need to be fixed ASAP since THEY could start having kittens basically, well, now. Some people worry about the kitties "holding it against you" but trust me - they'll forget that part quickly. AND it'll very likely make further socializing of them even easier w/o hormones coursing through them!

I've got alot more to say that I'll type this evening. I have to head out the door but wanted to acknowledge that we're listening !!! And I've done lots of TNR and socializing, and I've worked at several shelters, so hopefully tonight I can offer some specific help on all fronts: TNR, socializing, and shelters (by then I'm sure you'll also have plenty of others who've weighed in too).

And looks like you've already started reading and digging online - - - which is a great start. This site has some great articles to read (some of the info you may have read already - but you never know when you'll come across something new!):

If you go to the "articles" section, shown at the top of your catsite page, if you look through the "feral cats and rescues" section, you'll see several that are a good place to start. Such as these:

Handling Feral Cats
Everything You Need to Know About TNR

While you can find almost everything you need here, I also recommend checking out the Alley Cat Allies website (www.alleycat.org). They're an organization that basically solely focusses on TNR, ferals, socialization, etc. So they also have alot to read. I definitely recommend from their site:

A Guide to Interactions Between Cats and Humans and
Socializing Feral Kittens

I'll get back on tonight and give some more personalized help - - -but wanted you to know we're listening!!!!! :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Kitty Chick, Yes I know they can get pregnant this young. I have an appt schedule for October with a certain organization, but there have been some not so good reviews about them. Still trying to get in touch with another agency but they are booked. I'm so looking forward to your responses tonight. Thank you for replying.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:)
They're ADORABLE!

SOOO many people don't know about the 4 months, let alone that littermates can literally become "mates," so just wanted to mention it since you never know!

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back with more specific info. My work project has carried over through today and looks like through the night. I'm SO sorry - since I very much know how it feels to be sitting waiting for advice and help (if you're at all like me - sometimes it means sitting at the computer, hitting the "refresh" button every few minutes). Promise I'll get back to you with the more specific info the minute I get this logo to the client and I can breathe!!!!! Hopefully I can breathe by tomorrow - Saturday - morning/afternooon at the very latest. Promise you'll be my first "post project" post.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Generally you always want to keep a litter together when socializing.

Especially when they’re young, but it’s good when they’re older too. They continue to learn from one another while also providing companionship and a playmate.

You never want to leave a kitten alone most of the time unless it’s absolutely necessary. They require a lot of around the clock stimulation, and if you can’t provide it for each and every one, then you should let them provide it for each other.

There’s no reason you need to be the only source of interaction, and more often than not, that’s a disadvantage.

How long have you been socializing them for?

It sounds like you’re not keeping them in your house? How much time are you able to spend with them every day?

Thank you so much for undertaking all of this so that they don’t have to live the same hard life as their Momma. Hopefully you’ll get her soon too!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
:)
They're ADORABLE!

SOOO many people don't know about the 4 months, let alone that littermates can literally become "mates," so just wanted to mention it since you never know!

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back with more specific info. My work project has carried over through today and looks like through the night. I'm SO sorry - since I very much know how it feels to be sitting waiting for advice and help (if you're at all like me - sometimes it means sitting at the computer, hitting the "refresh" button every few minutes). Promise I'll get back to you with the more specific info the minute I get this logo to the client and I can breathe!!!!! Hopefully I can breathe by tomorrow - Saturday - morning/afternooon at the very latest. Promise you'll be my first "post project" post.
I'm glad you posted about the 4 month pregnancy issue, some ppl just may not know. Well I guess you are quite busy and I understand. I am still curious what your view is when you have time.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:
I decided to crate everyone except Bastian - 'The Socializer' he does help warm the others up for me.

Dash is now free from the crate and has made substantial progress, he really doesn't run from me and actually greeted me at the door today. He is not much for holding but is a great lap cat. :dizzycat:

Chloe is making small strides - she licks my fingers and I can sneak in a pet or two.

Ash allows petting to an extent and is warming up a bit too.

I alternate between blocking the view of the 2 works in progress and allowing interactive play between crates. They are not fond of the leather gloves (yet) but my hands can't take anymore wounds. Sadly, shelters are still full and some are discounting fees. I'm still awaiting responses from the low cost clinic I have one appt. scheduled for Bastian, but I'm trying to get them to change it to Chloe since she is the only female.

Momma has not brought the new litter out yet so that gives me some time. She has them in a corn field which will soon be harvested.