Curly main coon grooming issues

Jenny s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hell, my cat, George, has wavy hair that constantly has mats. He is groomed daily. We live at 7100 ft and night temps in summer rarely go above 60 so his fur is long year round. When I bath him his hair is looks like it been crimped with a small toothed crimping iron. I use a leave in conditioner and leave for 12-24 hrs before bathing. I use shampoo that barely suds and use a spray conditioner before blow drying. Mats still🥲 I’ve had him completely shaved the past two summers and I can see where mats had been still. It’s his fuzzy under coat stuck together still. I brush with detangler bathe him and can’t get out. I’ve spent 150 on different products. I started with professional products. I’ve stuck with shampoo and conditioner that’s professional. He’s really good in the bathe so I know all shampoo and container are out. Please any advice would be so appreciated!!!!! I’ve spent 30 dollars a bottle for products. He’s 85% Maine cone did DNA test. No other breed came up just other countries of origin.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried using a comb instead of a brush? A comb with metal teeth can get all the way through the undercoat to the skin. The tips of the tines are smooth and rounded so they don't scratch kitty's skin.

I have several friends who show Maine Coons and they love the Greyhound Comb. There are other similar combs that are less expensive and work well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenny s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve tried five different brushes. I’ve tried baby powder but not cornstarch. Is it normal for the hair to look crimped only when it’s wet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenny s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He had been abused when he came to us. He started coming around and I gave him a pet. He just started living here. We have a cat door. He had a collar called the owners So they could come get him and they said “well he likes you more”. And didn’t get him. He bit hard, holes that would bleed good when he felt threatened and that was constant. Any fast movement and he’s get scared and bite. He’s completely different now but he still bites once in a great while. It took a lot of patience and a full year before he truly trusted me. Had to not react to much when he bit. Couldn’t even pet his head when we got him or he’d bite. Now I can pet his whole face and he loves it lol. Even trying him to sit and stay while I prepare his food among other things but he still freaks out if he has any pain at all. Just cutting a little from the top of a mat he freaks. I feel so bad because mats are painful. I can wash and blow dry and he’s good with that. He lets me, over the course of a couple hours, put product on him. Dies anyone have a product to recommend? He trusts my hands so I’ve tried to break up mats but once he has any pain at all it over lol. His previous owners should be held accountable for what they did to him.