curious question can a cat still be pregnant after a miscarriage?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading on random web pages about cats because i was bored and it got me wondering can a cat still be pregnant after a miscarriage of 2-3 kits? do you guys know any cases ?

and no none of my cats had a miscarriage its just one of thous curiousity questions\

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's certainly possible for a cat to reabsorb a fetus and continue with the rest.  Cats also sometimes produce 'mummified' fetuses along with delivering live kittens.

She can only miscarry and continue with the pregnancy if the miscarried fetus(es) are the one(s) nearest her tail.  She can't miscarry one from the head end of a uterine horn as they are like peas in a pod - they have to deliver in order.

I believe it can happen but is uncommon.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Another variation may be, if she has two entirely different litters simultaneously. Age difference perhaps three weeks apart. 

This way, she can deliver (or miscarriage) one litter, and several weeks afterwards,  come down with next litter, entirely healthy.

NOT common, but not unique either. For example one of my ex neigbours had a cat from such one second litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i heard it was true before but its confusing i dealt with pregnant cats that whent fll turm and some pregnant cats that miscarried but never miscarried and then had more babys full term before hmm

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absorbing isn't the same as a miscarriage, with a miscarriage you'll get fluids and/or a kitten expelled

Absorbing there are no signs other than a pregnant cat who's no longer pregnant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absorbing isn't the same as a miscarriage, with a miscarriage you'll get fluids and/or a kitten expelled

Absorbing there are no signs other than a pregnant cat who's no longer pregnant
I also had a cat that was pregnant and then no pregnancy -_- i got her pregnant now's shes spayed now