Curious: Meowing while mousing

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not a problem behavior, in fact we find it adorable, but I am just curious about what it all means.

Trivia, while mousing, will run around the house with one of her toy mouses in her mouth and meow loudly. And not just an ordinary meow, but a long warble like meow. What is she trying to say?

(I tried recording it but when ever I pull out my phone she drops the mouse, sits on it, and looks at me.)

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a couple of videos Jack because he does this several times a day. If i'm downstairs he grabs a toy from their toybox upstairs and starts the crying,  then he brings it down to be, and if i'm upstairs he brings them up.

I always tell him he's a good boy though even though he cries when l'm watching a favourite program on t.v. 

Last edited:

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our outdoor cat, Jason, does this when he brings dead things home to us.  I was standing in the kitchen once and heard this horrid yowling that had me racing outside thinking he was injured.  Nope, he just wanted to gift me a rat.  He'll often leave something in the flower bed and come up to us/stand by the door yowling and then lead us to his kill.  I guess that's their way of informing the family that they have brought home dinner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our outdoor cat, Jason, does this when he brings dead things home to us.  I was standing in the kitchen once and heard this horrid yowling that had me racing outside thinking he was injured.  Nope, he just wanted to gift me a rat.  He'll often leave something in the flower bed and come up to us/stand by the door yowling and then lead us to his kill.  I guess that's their way of informing the family that they have brought home dinner.

This reply threw me for a bit of a loop at first because my name is Jason! 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very common cat behavior. Those noises they make when they do it are outlandish aren't they? :lol3:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's the same. Thing that my cat kitty did cause he wasan indoor outdoor cat and he loved to say look here is a gift that is always. How we took it and found it cute but annoying cause we didn't want dead stufr around our doors.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Freya does this with socks...she's a terrible hunter, so she 'kills' socks and brings them to me in the middle of the night. She does this strange yowl that we only hear when she has socks in her mouth. According to DH, I don't even wake up completely anymore, I just tell her "thank you for killing my socks" and she leaves them on the landing outside the bedroom and goes off to do something else. She always acts extra cuddly in the morning if I put on the socks she brought me the night before.In a good week, I can go all week without getting socks out of the drawer.

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My older cat, almost 9, just started doing this in the last six months.  He usually waits until I turn off all the lights and have been in bed about 15 minutes before he starts.  The first few times I ran downstairs thinking he was hurt or locked in a room somewhere.  Then I saw him with his purple felt mousie in his mouth.  I now put his toys in a room further away from the bedrooms at night.  He must play for hours because every morning they're all over the place and most have taken a swim in his water bowl.  

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was finally able to catch Jennie in action! My camera does not pick up cat sounds well so you have to crank up your volume to hear her. And of course, as soon as she realized I had the camera on her she stopped. Jennie is about 8 years old and has only just started doing this the past few months. I mean, just playing with toys is new to her, she's never had her own personal toy before and I am THRILLED to see it. There is a longer version of this video in my youtube account, but I shortened it to the relevant section for this thread

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]