Curious Kitties And Tomato Leaves

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi folks,
Honeybees mom here. This week we had a scare with Bee being a bad girl. Bee is now 7? 8? 9? Unknown age.

Tuesday night into Wednesday morning she kept waking us up every hour from midnight on to 4am. I didn't think anything about it because I was half asleep . At 4am I woke up and she was trying to chew the mail and anything else..I am assuming she bit a tomato leaf by her symptoms. I am currently growing baby plants to sell and she normally does not want anything to do with non grass or cat nip plants.

So at 4am she did a stinky poo and we had to put her in the sink to wash out the soft stools in her fur ..it's long right now. And this was when she kept rubbing her face on everything. We got her cleaned up and i googled it then decided to get her looked at. I couldn't find any chewed plants other than one leaf with a tear. Took pictures of it and put cardboard up to keep her out of it.

We went to one of the ER vets in the area, she was bright eyed and agitated. They said the leaves are not poisonous but do cause gastro upset and mouth pain. So we did not do blood tests or fluids. They said she was hydrated and looked good. Looked at mouth didn't see anything wrong. Gave her a shot of pain meds to stop the mouth pain. Which within minutes helped.

Then came home. Stayed home wed. Made sure she was ok..she was depressed but she still ate and drank water. Sat on the deck staring off into space. That night she slept on the hard table and refused her bed. I knew something was off. She held her pee all day..i put her in the box qnd she gave me a big pee.

Yesterday went to work..worried about her. Took her to regular vet last night. They didnt see anything wrong.

She got blood work and urine tests done. Nothing showed. Gave her fluids and cerenia. They prescribed sucralfate for Honeybee.

It's to coat her stomach help with discomfort. She reacted well to it. She got some more this morning. She slept in bed with J and she was quite content.

So just want to let people know that you need to barricade off tomato plants from your pets. It won't hurt them but definitely uncomfortable. She's doing better. Hopefully the next few days will help her get better...just our drama this week.

Bee in the window wanting to play outside.
20190517_055213.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The four vets I called said it's not poisonious like lilies and other plants=they just said they treat symptoms and a good recovery is believed to be possible..of course they don't live with us and see my baby not feeling well. I don't know if she bit into something else=I couldn't find anything that she could bite. I keep cords out of reach of her. At least the blood work showed everything was good other than elevated creatine but the vet said that was from mild dehydration=her BUN was right in the middle of acceptable limits.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I had no idea. I did get rid of all my avocado plants (the first I'd ever succeeded in growing) when the new little one tuned up. Will reconsider tomato plants and where to put them, if I get them.

I think if she'd bitten into an electrical cord enough for a shock there might be a burn in her mouth. However, mine bit through the phone cord, which the phone rep said would give them a little shock, usually enough to keep them from trying another. That seemed to be true. so she might have gotten one of your smaller cords.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, tomato leaves and stems are poisonous for humans, so it's likely the same to cats. Potato leaves and vines are poisonous, too. I believe they are all members of the nightshade family. You did the right thing to take no chances with Honeybee.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats hate the smell of tomatoe plants so I have no Idea why she would bite it. But only found one leaf with a tear is my guess. I know touching the plant makes me get the hives at times.

She's doing much better. That suc. Medication is doing wonders. She is moving around much better and slept in bed last night tells me she feels better. Shes still eating plenty of food and drinks water too. She wss batting around one of her fuzzy toy rattle mice so she must be feeling better. One of my Facebook friends said her expression is much better...can tell she feels better. She didn't leave me any stink bombs yet so probably give her canned Pumpkin in the morning. She didn't eat the wet food this morning. Licked it 5 times then said yuck. It's now a crusty mess in the bowl..i will deal with it tomorrow morning before I go to work. There's some tuna in the refrigerator that I will put down for her but doubt she will eat it. She only likes fresh opened tuna. Once it's in the refrigerator she says hell no. She wasn't like that when Pumps was alive. In fact she made it a point to eat Pumpkin's tuna in the library.

Here she is this afternoon while I was painting a piece of plywood with deck stain so I can leave it outside.
20190517_175713.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am happy to report that we don't need to continue the chaulk meds anymore. Today is day 3 and she's doing really well. She's back to eating treats and running around all day. Ive got the tomato plants on tables so she can't get to them. They are now outside unless we get a frost.

This was last night after work
She was taking a snooze in the shade.

20190518_185121.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thrilled she's okay. :yess:

I'm also curious/puzzled by a table a cat can't get onto. This is probably a failure of my imagination. would you mind explaining how this works, because, you know, I might, just possibly, need one in the future. (I figure if a cat can't get onto it, the dog absolutely couldn't. right?)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thrilled she's okay. :yess:

I'm also curious/puzzled by a table a cat can't get onto. This is probably a failure of my imagination. would you mind explaining how this works, because, you know, I might, just possibly, need one in the future. (I figure if a cat can't get onto it, the dog absolutely couldn't. right?)
The tables are totally full of plants so there's no room for her to jump up on...She tends to stick to the ground or easily accessible areas like stairs or small steps. if I fill the table all the way up=theres no room for her to land when jumping up...at least so far she hasn't jumped up...

Antonio65 Antonio65 it's my phone camera. I got a Samsung 8 and love the camera on it-but it doesn't take good pictures of exact colors-like often it shows the flower colors brighter than they are so I have to take the pictures at dusk to get more truer colors but the clarity is really good. Videos don't come out too bad. I would like to find something with better zoom for videos but I am too lazy to upload it to the computer.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I see. Honeybee is rather smart, or doesn't like testing your sanity by balancing on the pots. Which is kind of her. I mentioned this to someone, who shrugged, and said, "ramrowe."

not jealous, nope