Curious, how would you describe my cat.... Lots of questions I've been wondering about since 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My guess is she was around four weeks old in your kitten picture of her.
I didn't see this, sorry! From a google search, that sounds about right. I've always wondered because at the time I didn't know anything about rearing kittens and that's part of the reason I didn't want her; wasn't sure if I knew enough and was scared she needed extra care I was unaware of.

When she was a baby, she turned down beef food and that send me into a panic but she decided to eat chicken food. Nowadays she likes beef flavor but it doesn't seem to sit well with her stomach sometimes. Don't know why I brought that up, but felt like it!

Thank you! Been wondering. So she didn't need kitten milk? I've wondered sometimes about how big she would be if I had knew about kitten milk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Genetically, cats are either longhaired or shorthaired; there's no "medium hair" gene. Your girl appears to be a genetically longhaired cat, judging from her toe tufts, fluffy hair on the neck, fluffy tail and britches. She isn't as fluffy as the average longhair, but she might get more fluffy as she continues to mature.

As far as your first question, are you asking whether it's more likely that her mom was a calico and white, or black and white cat? Either could have been the case, and I can't say which would be more likely. Also, her mom could have been either a longhaired cat, or shorthair carrying the recessive longhair gene.

Judging from the color of her tail, it looks like her color may be dark brown tabby and white, not black and white. So, if her mom was either calico or black and white, we can guess that her dad would have been tabby and white, since tabby is dominant.

Her pattern would be described as "van pattern" (mostly white, with color restricted to the head and tail). Van pattern was originally named after the Turkish Van cat, but doesn't mean a cat is related to the Turkish Van. It's simply the result of having two copies of the white spotting gene, the same gene that is responsible for white spotting in tuxedo and bicolor cats. So we can make a good guess that both of your girl's parents had white spotting, and she inherited this gene for both parents.
Sorry to bother again!! but I got an idea to narrow it down.. What do you think their dad would have been? I don't have much pics because they weren't mine, but their confirmed mom was a calico! They don't have any brown so I'm thinking their dad wasn't the same as specters? but Idk about genetics is why I'm asking you
boys.png

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad was probably brown (or blue) tabby and white, carrying the recessive gene for solid (non-tabby). Brown tabby is most likely just because it is more common, but blue tabby would have been quite possible also.

All these kittens could have been produced by a calico mom and a brown (or blue) tabby and white dad carrying solid. It's always possible that kittens had different dads, but not necessary to produce these kittens.