Curiosity almost killed my cat...

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a three month old kitten. She has just recently been allowed out to roam the main parts of my house. She wanders into the kitchen for food,and rarely into the bathroom.

This morning I got out of the shower and was brushing my hair in the living room. We heard some noise at the back of the house, my daughter thought someone was breaking in.

A second later the kitten darts across the room from the bathroom and hides.

Half an hour later she comes out and my daughter notices that she is soaking wet.

She either fell into the toilet or the tub, which had an inch or so of water due to a slow drain.

I really thought my house was cat proofed, but this has me stressed. I closed the bathroom door when I left, but now I am thinking about all of the things she could get into.

Is this a normal kitten move? Is there anything else I should be worried about her getting into?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes I'm afraid so ! It's a rule in my house that the toilet seat must always be closed. A friend of mine actually had a kitten drown in their toilet. Poor little thing fell in and was too tiny to get out.

Kittens and young cats are so curious about everything :nod:

I know of a kitten that fell out of a bedroom window and broke it's jaw. A kitten that pulled a flower vase off a table by the table cloth and ending up brain damaged. Few cats that have been electrocuted by chewing wires and cords. The list goes on unfortunately

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats were adopted at 6 months old so they weren't even that young.  But being a paranoid android, I implemented a stringent safety plan.  Toilet lid down, cord tubes, no plastic bags out, only opening windows slightly so they can't dash out through the screens, etc.  They are 6 now and the toilet lid policy is still place.  Falling into the toilet isn't so much a safety issue now, but a sanitation one.  Now that I know what they are like, I'm a little more relaxed about some things.  I put away the ugly and cumbersome cord tubes after about the 3rd or 4th year since my cats showed zero interest in chewing electrical cords.  When I go out, I'll leave the windows slightly opened--heads cannot fit through (once cats fit their heads through anything...they are good to go...).  But if I'm at home, I'll open the windows high but bring down the blinds as a roadblock (I have super solid wooden blinds). 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Like the others have said, yes, it is normal. We always suggest kittens under 12-14 wks of age be given a "safe room." The room is completely kitten proof and that is where the kitten goes when they are not being supervised.

This doesn't mean accidents can't happen; but, it greatly reduces the risk.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just like having a young toddler in the house...  They will climb everywhere, reach for shinys, eat anything... oh yes they will.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noodles took 2 potty dives on us when she was that small.  The 2nd time was right as I was telling my mother to be sure the lid was down because she'd fallen in.  I said it; kersplash...  poor Noodles.  I've always hated the lid being up anyway; but I became so diligent...even telling company. 

The first night Mooch and Noodles were home we didn't have a big kennel for them or a really good safe room so we used the spare bathroom.  We woke up in the morning to find them watching the fish tank in the living room!  They had squeezed out right under the door!  They were 10/11 weeks old.  Stinkers!  They used to climb 2 stacked baby gates to get out of the hallway too. 

I also open my windows like tdonline said.  I'll leave a crack at the bottom; but it's the top that I really keep open.  I didnt trust the screens at our old house.  But even here at our current home I'm afraid they'll lean their fat butts on them too hard and get out. 

Our first place was a single wide trailer so we had 2 hallways.  We used the 2 baby gates to give them the front hall to run free when we couldn't supervise but were home.  I just had to angle the top one in so they couldn't climb over.  When we were sleeping or at work they went into a large wire dog crate that had a small litter box, a bed, toys, water, etc. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just put the dog crate away. Do you know how many people commented on pictures of the dog crate saying it was cruel?