cuddle clone?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know.....When I see a cat in my neighborhood that looks like my Chrissy my heart drops and I feel the tears starting. But I could see how it would bring comfort to some too. Especially like someone in a nursing home who lost a pet years before. Or it would be great to send one to college or to someone in the service overseas when the animal is still alive, to comfort them . For me , it would be too painful right now, it would be different in a few years I think. I have to admit they do a wonderful job in making these clones!

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
These are very well made, some of them are almost identical to the lost pet.

Personally for me I wouldn't want one. I think being able to see and hold something that looked more or less identical to my beloved boy would just bring back tears and the realisation that he is gone all over again.

I much prefer having good memories and being able to look at photo's of him when he was very much alive. I'm actually welling up now. No doubt they would be a comfort to some though.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think that would help me right now.  Still looking for an urn for my precious Rizzo and one company makes ones that are painted to look like your animal.  I found them to be scary looking.  Besides, all the things that I so loved about him would not be there.  The soft feel of this fur, the warm pressure & weight of his body; just his total catniss.  People are sending me pictures of black/white cats for adoption but nothing real or stuffed can replace my little guy.  I have enough reasons to cry without seeing a reproduction of him.

However, thanks for posting this.  It is interesting & might help others. Never knew they were offering this type of thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There was a gal that was on one of my online message boards years ago and her dog passed and she was devasted. I collected a few bucks from peeps and bought her a "huggable urn"..basically a plush stuffed animal that you could put the ashes in. She said it was a lifesaver for her as she just wanted something to hug and cry with..

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Riley1 I understand about the perfect "urn". When the service that came to the house to euthanize Min, they had different "packages" that went along with the service and one was to purchase an urn. Well, this was all within a weeks time that I had to decide so I didn't go with that package, and i thought one that looked like a cat would not be right. Lo and behold her ashes were delivered in a 4" high rectantular black box that seemed "purrfect" for her since she was a black/white tuxedo. I never did look for another urn. Her lil hairband sits on top of it that she always played with.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish I could find a black & white urn. The one they sent him home in is a cheap tin thing.  They said if I got another they would make the transfer.  Still waiting for that company to get back to me.  I want an urn with splashes of black & white.  Maybe just a little splash of green to match his eyes.  I have his stuff & his picture up on the fireplace mantle.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is Min's resting place :) The pink that is the backing on the frame is the tank top I wore that day.

bernkastel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly I'll probably grab one when Darwin dies, having grown up with him I've become so accustomed to his presence that I can't sleep if he's not laying on my bed 

It definitely varies from person to person, but I myself will definitely be getting one, I may even get it before he dies just so I'm prepared (I know for a fact that when the time comes, I will NOT handle it well, not after all Darwin and I have been through together, he's the only thing that kept me sane growing up, and he's the only thing now that can calm me down when I have a panic attack or bring me comfort when my depression goes into high gear. He's so so important to me and I can't imagine how life is going to be when he's gone.

I already know I plan on getting him cremated so I can keep him with me in spirit, so also having something to physically hold will definitely do me some good when that time comes (hopefully it's a long time away though, I need him around as long as possible)

I'm definitely keeping this in my bookmarks though

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree...I think it would be the most comforting immediately after losing a pet... just something about having something physical to hold

helen725

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that getting a cuddle clone after some time has passed would be a better idea.
I ordered a cuddle clone of my cat Shelby who passed away in June 2015. I just received my cuddle clone on Friday and I am so pleased with it!! I it looks very much like my Shelby, even down to his long striped tail. I know that it's not a real cat, but it's so nice to hug my cuddle clone of Shelby and to feel like I'm holding him again.

I probably wouldn't have been ready for a cuddle clone if I ordered it too soon after Shelby died. It took about 3 months to receive my cuddle clone. I didn't mind the wait time either, it gave me something to look forward to as I was grieving.

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought about getting a cuddle clone after Jasper passed. I couldn't afford it at the time, though.
I don't know if I'll ever get one or not. It's a sweet idea, but I think it'd feel weird for me. Maybe it's just too soon, though. It's still hard for me to look at tuxedo cats (except Ruby, of course). I guess we'll see.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had one made while Kitten was alive it would be a cherished item now. Having one made now that's she gone would just be disturbing.  And quite honestly nothing could imitate the way she went limp against me and just fit. I am considering a teddy for my husband.

helen725

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe when some more time has passed, you'll know when and if you'll be ready for a Cuddle Clone. They may not be for everyone, but I just know that it was the right decision for me. I don't think of my cuddle clone as a replacement for Shelby. I just think of it as a 3D photo that I can cuddle with.

I also have a tuxedo cat. His name is Monte. In a way, Monte is a real live cuddle clone. I had a cat named Oscar who passed away long ago and Monte is the spitting image of Oscar. He even has the same voracious appetite that Oscar had. He's also a big boy, weighing in at just under 17 lbs. he used to be 19 lbs, but he worked hard and lost some weight. Monte still misses Shelby. He searched for him constantly when Shelby was first gone back in June. I got the cuddle clone as much for Monte too. He looked at it that first day as if he recognized it to be Shelby.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To each his own, not for me. I have Missy's ashes and that is real. A "cuddle clone" would not be a comfort for me.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Min's resting place :) The pink that is the backing on the frame is the tank top I wore that day.

Beautiful tribute!

I also found a company that makes teddy bears with a little felt heart that goes inside that you can put ashes in. That might be a nice idea for some.