Crystals Came Back :(

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Struvite Crystals 1 Week Ago

Poor Thompson had another episode. He had almost 2 weeks with no issues. I noticed he was having problems again last night so I took him to the emergency vet.

They think he has more inflammation than anything and when they looked at his urinalysis and ultrasound it’s like a “snow globe” in his bladder of crystals.

I have not given him one piece of kibble for 2 weeks. He has been getting fancy feast pates and WHISKAS pates. The previous vet said switching to wet completely should relieve his problem but clearly he still has crystals. I don’t know if these are new or leftovers.

The vet wants me to feed him urinary s/o or c/d. She gave me a couple of tins. Is this the only thing that what will treat his crystals? The ingredients don’t look any better than the cheapest cat food!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can feed the urinary food temporarily until his crystals go away and then go back to feeding the all wet diet you are doing now.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the only thing I am aware of that will dissolve the crystals is a special urinary diet. You are going to have to dissolve and get rid of the crystals he has, as well as prevent the formation of new crystals.

I have one cat who the vet described as a "little crystal making machine". She was loaded with them...both struvite as well as calcium oxolate!

We tried various special urinary (wet) foods and the one she liked the best was Purina UR. This food is good for dissolving, and preventing both kinds of crystals. It provides a urinary environment unfavorable to the development of future crystals.

My cat subsisted entirely on this food for a considerable period of time...and no more crystals.

After a while, we slowly introduced regular high quality grain free wet food and watched. She has been crystal free now for over 10 years. She also drinks lots of ultra purified water.

There is a Pro Plan Vet Diets UR St/Ox Savory Selects Turkey and Giblets canned food. It is chunks in gravy that many cats like. It is not cheap, but can be bought on Amazon as well.
You might ask your vet about this food.