Crystal cat litter

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to try the fresh step crystal litter and I LOVE IT. We have one litter box filled with that and the rest are filled with there normally litter. The cats all are picking the box with the crystals
it has no odor at all. We are going to see if in the long run this works out better for us then the clumbing litter. I like that it is so much lighter.

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to buy some tonite and was afraid to...

The stuff i almost bought was tidy cat crystals...
Can you scoop this stuff?
How exactly does it work?
I use clumping now and am a little bit worried about the effects on the cats health...
Lorien

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using it for a week now and there is still NO order! We are using fresh step crystals but I just bought some tidy cat because I want to try that.
At first I didn't understand how to use it because I always used clumping but here is how it works.
After the cat goes potty the crystals take in the wet waste and the odor, daily you scoop out the solid waste and you mix the crystals up. I'm not sure why it doesn't smell but it doesn't smell at all. I thought I would like clumping best because you remove the clumps but so far so good, I really love this stuff. We will see how long it keeps working!

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think I'm going to try it!
I hope my cats will go in it....ill fill one with it...and the other box with the regular and see...
Thanx
Lorien

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the crystal cat litter still working well??
Just curious

Lorien

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wont use anything but crystals. Right now I'm using Litter Pearls because it was on sale but I think I prefer Fresh Step.

The way it locks in the odor is incredible.. and you dont have to empty the urine, just stir it right around and the crystals absorb it leaving them dry to the touch.

It's more expensive but its worth it. Less mess and tracking too!!

hammer6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How well does this work compared to clumping litter? I'm kind of confused?

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The crystals are STILL working! It so great too, because it is less to throw way. I just scoop out the solid waste and stir the crystle around. It is insane how much clumping litter I go through with all these cats. A few of the cats do not like the crystals and prefer the clumping but I'm hoping they will all get used to the crystals.

I like fresh step better the tidy cats, the tidy cats seems to make more noise when they walk on it and they do not like that as much. Also the fresh step has a nice scent to it.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Hammer6
How well does this work compared to clumping litter? I'm kind of confused?
I like it better then the clumping. Less to throw way and is smells less.

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
has anyone tried ExquisiCat Crystals Cat Litter? I saw it on PetsMart.com and it is a couple bucks cheaper then tidy cats I think, just wondering if it works as good?

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried that kind yet, but I think that they give you less then the other brands.

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm, ok, I will have to look into that. I think crystals would be the best for our household of many cats.

hammer6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A couple more questions?

Is it more cost effective than clumping litter? It seems to be from the research we have done. The litter box gets completely changed at least once a week and the crystals seem to last longer. Is that true also? If they last longer as well, that's great. Also how do your cats like it compared to clumping? And we were planning on implementing the crystals by putting it in another litter box next to the clumping and have them slowly move to the new one.

Any help - thanks...

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to last longer because you are not scooping out the litter like you are with clumps. It looks like it cost more because the bag cost more, but in the long run I think it might end up being cheaper! We are on one week and three days and still NO oder!

octoberdana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about trying these. Should I mix half with my old litter or just change to them all at once?

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my cats do not like the crystals, so what I did was keep a few normal boxes out. It also says if they do not like it you can mix 1/4 in and then 1/2 in and they 3/4 in over a period of time to get them used to it.

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about trying this litter. I have 3 cats and right now I have to sweep the floors twice a day because of all the tracking. It really helps huh? Plus one more question, I use those litter bags that you put inside the litter box and then you just throw the bag away. Can you use those bags with this type of litter?

Thanks.

It's more expensive but its worth it. Less mess and tracking too!! [/b][/quote]

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I finally bought crystal cat litter. For me, I didn't really like it that much, I prefer clumping. I think it would be great for a smaller cat household then ours though. It just seems a lot goes to waste when I scoop it. Also one of our cats refuses to use the 2 litter boxes with crystals, he only goes in the ones with clumping. Maybe I will just get the crystal blend.

Also, if anyone uses litter box deoderizer, the best one I have found is Tidy Cats Deodorizer, it is in a yellow canister and quite inexpensive, it has a pleasant smell and our cats don't mind it at all.