Cryptorchidism: An uncommon disorder

Thekitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found 3 stay kittens over the summer 2 were males. Both of them had cryptorchidism, which was found the day of them being neutered, and they were around 6-7 months old. All 3 are black, with green eyes. The only thing that I noticed physically in one of the males, as he was very off-balanced and very skinny. He stayed thinner than either of his 2 siblings until a few weeks ago. (Their surgery was done in September.) He has a crook in his tail which was mentioned in a previous comment. I don't see how it can't be hereditary, when 2 male cats, from the same litter, we're both cryptorchids. It is the first time of having kittens/cats, from dogs. I love all of them so very much, they have brought me so much joy since rescuing them from the ally. I have seen their mother, she is all black and believe their father is a Siamese that runs the streets every now and then. There is still at least one of their littermates that I wasn't able to catch or find when I rescued them. I have seen it roaming the streets. I don't know if it is male or female, I wish I could catch it and find out for scientific purposes. I wonder if it runs in the Siamese blood line. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. As well as any future issues I might run into, being that they are still under a year old. Any advice welcomed for 1st time cat parent.

Thekitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now, can someone say for sure that cryptorchidism is a GENETIC condition.
The Cat DNA test , is my go to place to answer this question.or Cornell University .
I believe it is, I have 2 male kittens from the same litter and they both were cryptorchids. The 3 that I rescued from the ally, are all black but look to have some Siamese in them. I believe I read somewhere that it is known to be an issue with Siamese breed.

Thekitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought him as a pet and specially wanted a male because I had read the process for neuter is much simpler than the gonad hysterectomy of the female.
Now, I feel the breeder should have told me before the sale that I might be faced with surgical neuter. They require the animal be neutered prior to dispensing the Pedigree papers.
And should I be totally wrong in expecting them to pay for the neuter surgery, They said they will guaranteeing to one year that the animal is free from any genetic problems .
Has anyone had a kitten that developed a normal reproductive tract after being abnormal at birth?
My 2 kittens did not self correct. They both had unilateral cryptorchidism. And are from the same litter
20220113_170620.jpg
20211112_192427.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it has something to do with malnutrition or inbreeding. My cousin's cat (mentioned earlier) was an orphaned street kitten, and she raised him on Whiskas milk (not a kitten replacement milk!) and Temptations cat treats. Honestly it's a miracle he survived. I always thought his bad start in life may have had something to do with him not developing correctly.

Thekitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if it has something to do with malnutrition or inbreeding. My cousin's cat (mentioned earlier) was an orphaned street kitten, and she raised him on Whiskas milk (not a kitten replacement milk!) and Temptations cat treats. Honestly,it's a miracle he survived. I always thought his bad start in life may have had something to do with him not developing correctly.
My 3 kitties were not malnourished, I found them when they were about 5 weeks old. They had been taken care of, for the most part, they did have tapeworms and fleas. But were not underweight. They are kitten food and did not want to take the bottle. I did have them dewormed and fleas taken care of within the week of me getting them. So I don't believe it has anything to do with being malnourished, I truly believe it is hereditary. I was a vet tech for 6 years. I never seen it while working. I just know that 2 kittens from the same litter both were cryptorchids.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Cryptochoridism is fairly well-established as being genetic, though other factors may influence. Inbreeding is more likely to make it pop up, presumably a polygenic recessive trait of some sort. It's recommended to never breed from a stud with an undescended testicle as he's likely to pass it on.

saoirsecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to everyone onTCS
I hope to start a thread that will foster a discussion about the issues ,I have discovered regarding the condition of Cryptorchidism

Please keep all discussions clean and only use medical terminology when referring to the anatomy of cats and kittens. Any SLANG or INAPPROPRIATE WORDS used in references to the male cat anatomy Will BE REPORTED.

I start this thread to educate, assist and inform .No intent is meant to discredit any breeder or veterinarian.

I just found out from my vet. that my new 3 month old kitten has unilateral Cryptorchidism. What is that? I asked myself.

When I asked the breeder why this was not listed on the pre sale Health Certificate, The breeder gave no explanation .
I think I will have to contact the breeder’s vet to discover why that vet failed to list the condition on the initial exam. I will keep TCS posted on what I discover.
When I asked the breeder did they know about this problem with the kitten before the sale. They said, YES. THEY KNEW !!

What reason did they have for not disclosing this information to the buyer before the sale. Well, they described it as a condition that often corrects itself within the kitten’s life ,usually before 6 months of age.

At that point, I became very skeptical about the ethics of the breeder .
Only, because all the literature on-line, describes Cryptorchidism is not likely to self correct . The research has shown that by 2 months of age the testes of the male kitten are normally positions in the scrotum.
So, I ask has anyone had this problem self correct in their pedigree kitten ? Mine is a Maine Coon.

Cryptorchidism can be bilateral or unilateral , in either case the testes are mal positioned some where within the pelvis area within the soft tissue and surrounded by ligaments or muscular tissue. The fine venous and arterial supply can become twisted and painful in some cases. There may even be a risk of the development of cancerous tumors surrounding the undescended testicle. All of which occur later in the life of the cat.
Sterility is possible and most likely in bilateral Cryptorchidism. In fact, the male cat with this condition should not be used in a breeding program. As, the research is finding cryptorchid cats have a gene that can be passed to off-spring.
And the most common problem is that the kitten will need surgical neutering verses the common neuter.
Costly, and recommend early by some vets or at 6 months by other vets. I see the vet will take into account the breed of the kitten.
hello,
I have a newly acquired mainecoon who appears to be cryptorchid. He is around 6 months and this was the most detailed post I found describing our situation.
Did your cat’s testicles descend?
Did he have surgery to locate the testicles?
Thank you