Cryptorchid in male cat?

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd ask all here if anyone can clarify this? My vet saw our feral in July & he was neutered part 1 in 12/19, but we thought he need a 2nd teste removed as it was still up in abs, thought the vet. It turns out he only had one teste period from birth, & this is very rare she said in the July's, part 2 visit. Thus no need for surgery as he was FULLY neutered in Dec. '19 then I suppose?

But I wonder re all this & his risks for cancer, etc.? Can anyone clarify the medical condition & what/when to worry re this? TY as I didn't realize the cancer risk til now.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't heard of it so I went to google and it is very rare. Monorchidism (One Testicle) in Cats

What I could find it won't affect the health of the cat. They shouldn't be used for breeding because it is a genetic condition but other then that there is no effect on the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spoke to vet's just now, today. Tech said he does NOT have higher risk of testicular c. as he only had ONE teste -- & it was removed in 12/19. So, she said then his risk for things comes from his FiV status mostly. I am relieved but will watch him closely daily. My OCD is good for something, lol. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't make yourself crazy over it, though. Cats with FiV are susceptible to stress, and he'll pick up on yours! Try to relax, and be calmly watchful!

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know TY!:) But the vet & I both missed a HUGE sign he may be a rare cat w/ this problem? That being, he has always has had a kinked tail & it looked like, I thought, an injury to it or the like.

No, it is a gentic marker to indicate possible Cryptorchid cats. Wow, my ALL CAT ONLY vet even missed thus/it when doing his 1st round of neuter surg. way back in Dec. '19?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To come to his defense, just a little, it is VERY rare. He's like the guy living in New York City who hears hoof beats. He's thinking "police horse," not "zebra." Occasionally, however, IT'S A DANGED ZEBRA!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cheetahs often have kinked tails and a large number of them are sterile. That connection must be a cat thing. It is common with cheetahs because a small number survived the last ice age so there has been generations of inbreeding.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Denice, TY on that as I have no idea of his genes nor parents. So in AZ when I began feeding him, he just came around & slept daily near my back of apt. I took a liking, began feeding & the rest history. Now he's cross US & the only prob is, I need be able touch/catch him to get into carrier if/when I need move him from this temp apt to a permanent place.

I've yet to actually come close enough to easily touch him. He only knows me from feeding/talking, etc. from a distance (or w/ objects as a fence, wall, box, etc. in between) but never reaching toward him that close to openly make contact w/ him. I still think he'll hiss, bite, scratch, run, fight, etc. :( Dunno yet how to quickly do that w/ out reverting his trust back to zero & thinking I'm a traitor?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You should be able to borrow a live trap from your local SPCA or HS, or a rescue group. WHEN you move him, you'll need to keep him in for at least 3 weeks, so he adjusts, which should be an good time to overcome any mistrust. Cats don't hold grudges! Not even ferals, once trust is established. He may well be wary for a bit, but he'll get over it.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, to TCS
I have a purebred / inbreed kitten. Breeders inbreed the dame with her paternal uncle, to eliminate the carrier status of a known heart condition in the family line. Well, as it turns out they were unable to eliminate the heart condition , it passed to half of the kittens in that litter and one, mine has the unilateral testes retention. A long story shortened, the condition known as Crptorchidism is genetically inclined. The breeder I deal with, gives the an excuse that every animal is a carrier of DNA stamps for cancer or other non contagious disease , ie. Leukemia ,etc. He gets paid high dollars and shrugs off the facts.
Even the medical pros claim humans with a family history or certain diseases are at risk and will be prone to getting cancer for example . So there’s not much they can do!!!
I think most pros don not tell all and second , third, research and conversation like this are a must if we lay ppl want to get the best info.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am correcting this post because Monorchidism is different from Cryptorchidism.
I opened a separate thread, my apologies.