Crying to get out at night.

Edwin@1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a adult cat .he is three years old and not affectionate at all to humans ( he bites every pat I try and give him )now he is crying to get out every night .it goes on for all night ! He is desexed. I'm trying to help him any advice would be great .thanks

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This kinda reminds me of my failed adoption of Cassie. The pound told me she was an indoor kitty. What I got was a reformed feral indoor/outdoor cat that was miserable inside my flat! I wound up rehomed good her ..... which she was ecstatic about! She lived a happy life with my x-hubby’s in-laws, who let her come & go as she pleased. So sometimes you need the right home for the cat.

So I would make sure this cat was indeed socialized by their second month old. It sounds like you need to know this cat’s story. That said some cats just get over-stimulated. So if you keep petting them it hurts or irritates them. So mind the cat’s body language! My mom’s reformed feral warns us to stop petting by the slightest flick of the tip of his tail...... then he nips & bats. It took him over 4 years of watching me with my 2 tame cats before he started cuddling my mom! Now he demands nightly cuddles from her, before he goes out. It took years & the thing that helped the most were my 2 house cat boys.

If it is a socialized cat & is not overstimulation..... then abet check is a must. Cats hide their pain.

Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has this been going on? He sounds like he wants out so bad he is redirecting his aggression towards you. If you don't let him out at all it will subside, but may take many months. the ideal solution would be to make him an area he can go safely into from the house and be outside but still safe. Outside a window would be good. One of those 'chicken coops' would be nice, or use used 2x4's and tack on some wire fencing. Both could be found cheap on those buy and sale places on Facebook. Someone might even have one already built. A large used dog kennel might work for a while too. some cats just HAVE to go outside. Sadly, almost everyone I have had that is like this ended up getting killed, either by a car or a predator. I have only had 5 that have survived out of a hundred.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually takes 2-3 weeks for this sort of behavior to tail off on conversion to an indoor only cat. Of course, there are always exceptions. I've got one now that doesn't whine, but still thinks about escaping, and may do so if you aren't paying attention.

With a skittish cat that doesn't want to be pet, be patient. Don't do anything he doesn't want. Maybe he will allow you to pet him when he is sleepy. That is often a start, a way in. If he allows that, do that. Quite often there will be a spot where you will be allowed to pet the cat first -- like his favorite spot, or somewhere you are usually quiet and chill like the bed.