Crying at night

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We lost our male cat recently after 15 years, his sister is still with us and since his passing i felt bad since she does not to come up stairs she and her brother always stay more in our finished basement it was like their own space. I put a baby monitor there and now i hear her crying i run down stairs at all hours of the night to sooth her realizing she is now a only cat in our house hold. We do not want to get another cat we are not getting up there in age and this has been so heartbreaking her brother was a sudden passing and rocked us. I don't know what to do but i need to get some sleep, if i turn off the baby monitor, does anyone would she settle down and go back to sleep if i don't come down stairs all through out the night. I am exhausted and desperate..

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. She may be meowing because she is looking for her brother but it could also be the nightime meowing that many senior cats do and perhaps something she did before his death. I would for sure get her into the vet to make sure that she doesn’t have any health issues. Your night time visits might be unsettling for her since this a a change in routine so I suggest you turn off the monitor and follow your normal routine.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. She may be meowing because she is looking for her brother but it could also be the nightime meowing that many senior cats and perhaps something she did before his death. I would for sure get her into the vet to make sure that she doesn’t have any health issues. Your night time visits might be unsettling for her since this a a change in routine so I suggest you turn off the monitor and follow your normal routine.
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it, I am going to turn off the monitor and try to get some sleep. We all love our babies so much and it's so hard cause they can't tell us what their feeling. Thank you again for your words.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try cat music for her, harp music can help quite a lot. There's amazon, youtube, spotify has a collection called Cat in My Arms, there's RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

You might also try a nightlight for her, maybe shielded so the light isn't very strong.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, so sorry. Agree with the soft music, and maybe put something down there with your scent (old shirts, etc). Also Feliway diffuser and maybe try a feeder that will deliver some snacks at night. Cats usually groom and nap after eating so that might distract and settle her down.

Otherwise you should turn off the baby monitor if its disturbing your sleep. There are inexpensive indoor cameras you can buy that will record overnight so in the morning you can see what/how she did.

Good luck and so sorry she lost her brother (and you lost a furbaby).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your little girl is grieving and missing her brother. My male cat started doing this after we lost our senior kitty when he was a teenager kitten. He still cries when we leave and when we turn the lights off at night. You can run Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers in your home to help her de-stress. You might also give her a plush toy for company.

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try cat music for her, harp music can help quite a lot. There's amazon, youtube, spotify has a collection called Cat in My Arms, there's RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

You might also try a nightlight for her, maybe shielded so the light isn't very strong.
Thank you so much I will look into these

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss Have you considered letting her sleep with you or at least in your bedroom?
I would but our bed is up stairs and she never goes up there tried she just runs back down stairs.

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you so very I want to try anything to soothe her

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your little girl is grieving and missing her brother. My male cat started doing this after we lost our senior kitty when he was a teenager kitten. He still cries when we leave and when we turn the lights off at night. You can run Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers in your home to help her de-stress. You might also give her a plush toy for company.
Thank you so much I am going to look into these