Crying All Night

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little girl has started to cry all night long. She never did it before, I have no idea what triggered this for her. I thought it might be the cause of her schedule changing, now that I am in university instead of normal public school my hours of class have change so I believe it might be this, but I still have no idea. She begins to cry the moment after I go to bed, so I have to wait for her to be asleep to, get into bed or she cries for hours. Also if she wakes in the middle of the night she begins to cry. I have stopped getting out of bed to see what is wrong but this doesn't seem to help at all, if I ignore her cries after a while she'll stop but in minutes she begins to cry again but if I don't ignore it, she'll so on forever.

if you have any advice please let me know what to do for my girl! I know her crying affects her as much as it does me. I'd greatly appreciate it

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting out of bed to console her is sending the wrong message, you need to ignore her.

There is a great vid at youtube by Jackson Galaxy called "Train your cat to let you sleep".

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where is your cat sleeping? It sounds as if she may be in another room with the door closed. I'm no authority, and moorspede probably knows more than I. FWIW, I let my cat sleep in the bed with me when she wants to. Generally she sleeps across the room in a particular chair. For perspective, the famously wrong baby authority Dr. Spock told mothers to let their children cry, to ignore them, not to go to them. That turned out to be wrong. To me, a pet is like a child, and its crying shouldn't be ignored.

How much has your schedule changed? Did you used to go to night classes?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's had a recent vet check-up and is all clear for health, then it probably is due to your schedule change. Are you home a lot less during the day? Less play and cuddle time? If so, I'd give her a lot of attention before you want to go to bed: a hard play session, brushing/petting, and treats.

If it's been a while since her last vet exam, it is possibly something medical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where is your cat sleeping? It sounds as if she may be in another room with the door closed. I'm no authority, and moorspede probably knows more than I. FWIW, I let my cat sleep in the bed with me when she wants to. Generally she sleeps across the room in a particular chair. For perspective, the famously wrong baby authority Dr. Spock told mothers to let their children cry, to ignore them, not to go to them. That turned out to be wrong. To me, a pet is like a child, and its crying shouldn't be ignored.

How much has your schedule changed? Did you used to go to night classes?

I actually let my door open for her 24/7. She usually sleeps in my bed with me however since I wrote this message, I got another kitten and she hasn't cried since.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she's better. Is she spayed? If not, this will likely continue.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually let my door open for her 24/7. She usually sleeps in my bed with me however since I wrote this message, I got another kitten and she hasn't cried since.
Congrats on the new kitten! Sounds like you other cat got lonely, maybe with the schedule change.

Now hopefully everyone can get some sleep. :sleepycat: