Crusty spots

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all!
My black 7 year old cat Shadow has suddenly started having random patches of crazy scaly skin and hair loss in that area.
A little background: He's always been healthy, just oddly fat. About a month ago, I bought a new cheap brand of cat food, since I couldn't find our regular Grain free stuff. That evening Shadow was vomiting, lethargic, and it continued on and off for a week, he couldn't even keep water down. Took him to the vet, did an xray and bloodwork, found out it was an acute case of Pancreatitis. He was SO sick, but we got him through it. (Bloodwork showed everything was normal, and no diabetes, which is what we were curious about. It did show that his kidney levels were elevated, but it could have just been circumstantial.)

Anyway, that same week, we noticed he had a sore spot on his lower belly (where the fat pouch is) with some general hair loss. The vet looked, but wasn't concerned, we all just figured it was just a random event.
But it is not. While that spot seems to be mostly healed now, he has developed a spot right at the base of his ear, and one on his left side. The one on his side is about a golf ball sized spot.
I first noticed it one or two days ago, I saw him scratching and gently parted his fur and found some thick yellow crusty flakes on his skin. Now, he's got really really really thick fur, so I just thought "hmm" because it didn't look like too much. Then I checked it this morning and it was significantly more detached from the skin, WAY less hair, and looked more "advanced", if that makes sense. I took a paper towel to it to try and wipe off the flakes, and it was obviously itchy, as I wiped, he scratched along with me lol. It is definitely irritating him, but not unduly so. As I wiped a big clump of the localized hair came right off onto the paper towel. So strange. He does seem to be more itchy all over, I have noticed him scratching more overall (but when I check, I don't see any other spots- so far.)
So I took a Q-tip and applied some colloidal silver and then some vasoline. I will be calling the vet in the morning.
I can't figure out if it's just a surface skin thing (like ringworm, etc), or a newly developed allergy (maybe they changed his food ingredients?), or something like Hypothyriodism (which he perfectly fits all the criteria of).
Does anyone have any clues as to what could be going on?

Below: The first time I noticed it, about a day and a half ago.
Feb 23.jpg

Below: This morning, the flakes loosened and there was hair loss (this was before I tried to wipe/treat it off).
Feb 24.jpg

Below: Tonight, a few hours after I wiped it and applied colloidal silver and vasoline.
Feb 25.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it is allergies to the food. you might call the vet and see if he took samples or ruled out ringworm. but YOU would most likely have a few lesions by now if it was, it is very contagious. so more likely allergies. Try to get him off the food, and get him on or some other grain-free brand. Order your old one online if possible. It can cause all his symptoms. the elevated kidney levels are most likely from being dehydrated from vomiting and will return to normal. Pancreatitis most likely will clear up too while he is being treated. Have the vet keep an eye on it. My cat is going through the same thing, and changing food has helped tremendously. she just has the skin sores though. use the silver or a human antibiotic on it to make it feel better, mine finally found a little relief when I got a steroid cream from the vet.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second possible allergies - Flaky/crusty skin can also be caused by diet deficiency (Lack of Omega-3 Fatty Acids for instance). He wasn't eating or drinking that well for a week after all, understandably.

Just putting it out there generally as well since you mentioned he was a little fat, but it can also be because the kitty is too plump and is unable to reach or groom itself in a certain area. Or other reasons for not reaching is joint pain or hurt teeth. I have a chubby ginger boy and I have to keep tabs on his bum area regularly since he can't reach to groom it. And yup he is currently on a diet! :lol: Granted, if this scaly skin situation is truly new and he was always plump but body-accessible, then feel free to set this idea aside.

It could also mean that he was scratching or rubbing that spot a lot because he was sore there due to the Pancreatitis, as one can get abdominal pain. Same with as fever, if he was rubbing at an achy head.

Altogether it doesn't look like anything too serious or alarming (Fleas, yeast Infection, ringworm etc) seems like he is recuperating from a very sick time in his life. If one spot is healing then the odds of the other spots are positive. You can get some itch or dry skin support at your local pet store to help ease scaly symptoms if you haven't already. If you live in a drier area try out a humidifier that will also sooth his skin.

And of course, definitely engage with the vet again as you mentioned. No doubt they will know best overall!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say it is allergies to the food. ..... Try to get him off the food.
I do want to mention it was one-two servings of the other food that kicked him into Pancreatitis! It was insane. All my other 5 cats ate it just fine but for him it was horrible. I trashed it immediately.
He's been on his regular grain free food for years, which is why I wonder if they changed the formula or something.

Just putting it out there generally as well since you mentioned he was a little fat, but it can also be because the kitty is too plump and is unable to reach or groom itself in a certain area. Or other reasons for not reaching is joint pain or hurt teeth. I have a chubby ginger boy and I have to keep tabs on his bum area regularly since he can't reach to groom it.
Yes, I have to regularly wash Shadow's butt as well. We have had him on an exercise program (which he loves) but with him getting sick, we let things go so he could recover.
He has always had dandruffy fur, worse in the winter, but the grain free has helped tremendously. Also regular brushing (well we try to be regular about it).
It does make me wonder if it's just really bad itchy dry winter skin to the extreme? But I would agree with you both, probably a food allergy. Darn.
Thanks for all your help! I have an appt with the vet for Monday! I'll update when I know more.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
I took him to the vet yesterday. She looked him over and said it's not a food allergy or a ringworm type of thing. I asked about hypothyroidism and she said "Cat's don't get that". :rolleyes:
She didn't run any tests or take samples or anything.
So she had no idea what is going on with him and game him 3 weeks worth of steroids. Honestly, I will be taking him somewhere else for a second opinion because I'm not too pleased. This started drastically fast and I would like to figure it out asap and not just cover the symptoms.
Meanwhile, his spots are progressing and getting worse, my poor guy.
I went online to buy a different food but literally everything is sold out or like 35 bucks for a small bag. Oye.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Hypothyroidism is rare in cats and when it does occur it can be in reaction to iodine therapy or other less common causes. But it can happen. The fact that this vet basically dismissed you and your concerns is a good reason for getting to another one. Maybe you can get some recommendations from those you know, or from posting on Nextdoor.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she rubbed me wrong when I took him in a month ago for the Pancreatitis. She walked into the room and straight up accusingly asked my children "Which one of you fed the cat something you shouldn't have." Pointing her finger at them and everything. Really the wrong way to go about it.

Anyway, I already have another vet picked out. Hopefully they can figure this out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Actually, cat pancreatitis is not as much related to diet as it is in dogs......so one more reason never to go back to this vet. No proof that your kids were feeding the cat the wrong thing and they should not have been brought into it.

Pancreatitis In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals.
If your cat is prone to pancreatitis, you might want to refer to this. In the top third, it states that in cats it can occur spontaneously or from other conditions.