Crusty Ears and Red near mouth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like whatever it is, is occurring above her eye as well. Please let us know what the vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We will definetly let you all know what the vet says!
We talked to one of the vet's staff members a couple days ago hoping for an online/in store appointment. An online visit would be best. Since it is the weekend, we haven't heard anything back. Hoping for something on Monday. Krissy isn't getting better..and I can't really tell if it is worse.

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We talked to our vet over the phone today. We have been bathing our dog every 3 days for the past week or so with an anti-fungal shampoo as our vet thinks our dog has ringworm. It has been a week and our dog isn't showing any signs of improvement. I know ringworm takes some time to go away but, our dog's ringworm has made no progress in leaving. She is going to give us another kind of shampoo..hopefully a stronger one. From what I've heard, we can use this on Krissy as well if she has ringworm. We never took a skin culture since it cost $235 to send it to a lab..and a month to get the results back!
Krissy has little spots in other places now. One on each of her front paws, and one behind an ear. They are hard to see, but you can feel a real prominent bump on them.
I have a link to 16 pictures of her and her weird polka dots, as well as her ears. I stopped using Vaseline since it seemed to irritate her a little bit, and it is obvious now that she doesn't have ear mites. I really do not think that it is ringworm since she has spots on her face, ears, behind the ears, paws, chin, and around both eyes. Is there any type of ringworm that spreads like that? Our dog has the exact same thing..in almost the same places except the dog has spots all up his legs. And, all 4 members of our household have Pityriasis Rosea. I know all the websites say dogs and cats can't get it but.....pigs can and they have the exact same scars that a pig with Pityriasis Rosea would have.

Krissy's Disease

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you have seen/heard of anything like this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ringworm may be the culprit if your dog has it. Is the vet guessing on your dog or was the skin scraping done on your dog to confirm? Ringworm is a fungal infection that your dog may have picked up outside. The pictures of your cat do resemble the ringworm on cats in online pictures that I viewed on Google.

Definitely keep the kitten separate from both the dog and cat so the kitten does not get worse as ringworm is very contagious. People can get it from their pets and it can take weeks to get rid of it.

You can use a black light to see the patches. Ringworm will glow under black light.

This article discusses symptoms and treatment. You’ll want to ask your vet for oral and topical medications for your cat to help speed recovery. Also thoroughly clean your home and all bedding and carpets,

Ringworm in Cats

Here is another article as well. Note the lime bath treatment:

https://phillypaws.org/wp-content/u...delines-for-Treating-Ringworm-9-July-2019.pdf

I’m so sorry that you are dealing with this.

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the links.
Our vet did not take a skin sample of our dog as it would cost $235 and a month to get the results back. She did shine the dog's skin issue under a blacklight and said that she though the dog had a rare type of ringworm she hadn't seen in a while. We do have a small farm, (Goats, horse, donkey, chickens) and the dog comes into contact with their yard, so it wouldn't be surprising if he did have ringworm. Only thing is, ringworm doesn't spread all over the body!
So far, none of us have gotten ringworm from the dog or cat but we have taken precautions (washing sheets, blankets, etc.) to prevent it. :D

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have not heard anything back from our vet, she never called, or made any attempt to further help us. We did not pay her (you don't pay a vet if you are just calling to make an appointment, right?) , but would have if we had to take Krissy into her office.

Krissy is showing major improvement. The fur on her nose has grown back, and the spots stopped spreading a while ago. I am 100% convinced it is NOT ringworm, and am very convinced she had Pityriasis Rosea like the rest of us. I will admit what she has really does look like ringworm, but other than appearance it does not resemble ringworm at all. And, PR in humans looks almost identical to ringworm, which is why it is so easily misdiagnosed. PR in humans is supposed to go away in 12 weeks without treatment. Krissy has had this issue for 6 weeks now and it is going away normally as it would in humans, but she still has gunky ears, black chin specs, (they have gotten better as I clean her dishes daily now (Thanks mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens 🙂) and some bare spots. It hasn't been 12 weeks, so I don't expect her to be back to normal yet. It's funny, it seems as though my PR faded around the same time Krissy's did. I'm just glad to have the entire thing almost over with. The kitten (We named her Tori) no longer has any face/ear issues, except a little crusted discharge from the nose, which we remove to help her. The dog got what I believe to be PR first, and is almost 100% better. We are so thankful none of our other animals got the disease. It seems as though the entire vet community is in denial about dogs and cats getting PR. 😂 Maybe cats/dogs cannot get Pityriasis Rosea, but they can get a certain strain of it. I have no way of proving my theory, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s good to hear they are both getting better. It’s unprofessional of the vet not to return your call.

Do you clean her ears and chin? That may help with the crusty stuff.

It sounds like the kitten may have a cold with the runny nose. Watch that in case antibiotics are needed.

Antibiotics can also clear up skin issues if needed. One of my cats was recently put on cortisone and antibiotics for skin hotspots from scratching from allergies and she is clearing up beautifully.

Your theory about PR is interesting. I think it’s quite possible that humans and pets can share it. Thanks so much for this update! :)

creamsicle478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! happy to hear Krissy is getting better! My cat is having similar bumps on the ear as Krissy in the initial pics but none of the other symptoms. Did you do anything/home remedy to help with the bumps in particular? Did they just go away on their own?

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! happy to hear Krissy is getting better! My cat is having similar bumps on the ear as Krissy in the initial pics but none of the other symptoms. Did you do anything/home remedy to help with the bumps in particular? Did they just go away on their own?
Hi!
It appears that the bumps are going away on their own. Do you have pictures of them? Has anybody with Pityriasis Rosea been near your cat? I didn't do anything to Krissy except clean her ears as needed. I did notice, as cruel as it sounds and as much as it broke my heart to hear her cry, that removing the flakiness on the ears helped the fur to grow back, and the flakiness did not return. I really hope your cat doesn't have PR or Ringworm. :)

creamsicle478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
It appears that the bumps are going away on their own. Do you have pictures of them? Has anybody with Pityriasis Rosea been near your cat? I didn't do anything to Krissy except clean her ears as needed. I did notice, as cruel as it sounds and as much as it broke my heart to hear her cry, that removing the flakiness on the ears helped the fur to grow back, and the flakiness did not return. I really hope your cat doesn't have PR or Ringworm. :)
IMG_8144.jpg
IMG_8145.jpg
IMG_8144.jpg IMG_8145.jpg

Unfortunately, the friend I had asked to cat sit while I was away did have PR. Here are some pictures!

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 340399View attachment 340400View attachment 340399View attachment 340400

Unfortunately, the friend I had asked to cat sit while I was away did have PR. Here are some pictures!
Thank you for the pictures. I’m sorry to say this but I definitely think she has PR. Krissy’s PR started at the tip of her ears, her nose, and in the same spot your cat has behind the ears.
Unfortunately, there is no known treatment (for cats) from what I have read. When I had PR, the spots were not painful but they were itchy. I really hope your don’t catch it from your sweet kitty!

On the bright side, it WILL get better if all goes well. ;)

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have not heard anything back from our vet, she never called, or made any attempt to further help us. We did not pay her (you don't pay a vet if you are just calling to make an appointment, right?) , but would have if we had to take Krissy into her office.

Krissy is showing major improvement. The fur on her nose has grown back, and the spots stopped spreading a while ago. I am 100% convinced it is NOT ringworm, and am very convinced she had Pityriasis Rosea like the rest of us. I will admit what she has really does look like ringworm, but other than appearance it does not resemble ringworm at all. And, PR in humans looks almost identical to ringworm, which is why it is so easily misdiagnosed. PR in humans is supposed to go away in 12 weeks without treatment. Krissy has had this issue for 6 weeks now and it is going away normally as it would in humans, but she still has gunky ears, black chin specs, (they have gotten better as I clean her dishes daily now (Thanks mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens 🙂) and some bare spots. It hasn't been 12 weeks, so I don't expect her to be back to normal yet. It's funny, it seems as though my PR faded around the same time Krissy's did. I'm just glad to have the entire thing almost over with. The kitten (We named her Tori) no longer has any face/ear issues, except a little crusted discharge from the nose, which we remove to help her. The dog got what I believe to be PR first, and is almost 100% better. We are so thankful none of our other animals got the disease. It seems as though the entire vet community is in denial about dogs and cats getting PR. 😂 Maybe cats/dogs cannot get Pityriasis Rosea, but they can get a certain strain of it. I have no way of proving my theory, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Glad to hear things are getting better! I had Pityriasis Rosea a few years ago (not 100% positive, but I had skin scraped and it was negative for anything fungal, so doctor said pityriasis rosea). I had the "inverse" version, which is like 6% of cases, where the spots were on my limbs, not on my trunk. I had it, and so did bunch of my coworkers, all at the same time. Interestingly, I was working as a groomer for both cats and dogs, and I also had a horse that I was often at the barn with! I always assumed I got it from a person, but after reading your thread, maybe it was from an animal! It was really annoying, everyone at work was trying to figure out what was wrong with us, all going to different doctors all the time!

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear things are getting better! I had Pityriasis Rosea a few years ago (not 100% positive, but I had skin scraped and it was negative for anything fungal, so doctor said pityriasis rosea). I had the "inverse" version, which is like 6% of cases, where the spots were on my limbs, not on my trunk. I had it, and so did bunch of my coworkers, all at the same time. Interestingly, I was working as a groomer for both cats and dogs, and I also had a horse that I was often at the barn with! I always assumed I got it from a person, but after reading your thread, maybe it was from an animal! It was really annoying, everyone at work was trying to figure out what was wrong with us, all going to different doctors all the time!
That’s very interesting! It’s a hard thing to spot in the early stages, as it doesn’t really hurt or itch until about the 2-3 week mark.

Krissy is almost 100% better. Most of her nose fur has grown back, she shows very little black stuff on her chin (I agree that was probably feline Acne, and it slowed down after I started washing her dishes every day or so) her eyes have no crustiness, and her chin is fully fur covered now. :)

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
8E4140D7-EEE8-4E3D-B90D-72635FC52A03.jpeg
E3D890E6-D0CD-4D78-92A4-23FF34657840.jpeg

Here are some pictures.
And, Tori (the kitten) was all better about a week or two ago. :) :) :)

CaramelKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It turned out to be a hotspot.... but it's taking a long time to heal... even with cream prescribed by the vet
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds awful, and I hope it goes away soon.