crust on cat's paw?

maxysmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, first post!

we just adopted mr. max about three weeks ago.  he's almost 8 months old, just neutered.  he came from foster and arrived post-surgery with a bit of a URI.  took him to vet and got some antiviral treats (which we think caused some diarrhea).

he's still sneezing a little and having eye discharge, but otherwise a happy, very playful, eating and pooping kitten!  he also farts a LOT, lol.

last night i noticed this strange thing on his paw (see pic).  look at the bottom of the paw where the white meets the black and you'll see something that almost looks like a popped blister.  can't for the life of me figure out what it is.  doesn't seem to bother him at all.  he's very squirrely, so it's really hard to get a good look at it/touch it.  almost like a scab.

can anyone identify it??

(we have a vet appointment tomorrow for a follow up, but i'm imagining all sorts of horrible diseases - our previous cat dropped dead at 3 years old of a heart attack six weeks ago, so we're super cautious!)

THANKS!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I see the area you are referring too. Really, that does not look too bad and bless you for being so astute in caring for your new kitty. I saw your other thread about litter box usage. That area on the paw could be from some sort of irritation - maybe something in the litter causing it? If he is using the litter box often and scratching in the litter with that particular paw, then that could be the culprit. At this point, I do not think it is anything serious from looking at the picture. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxysmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, perhaps he got into something!  he's been a good boy using his new litter box (top entry) but has had some trouble getting in and out since he's still tiny (only 6lbs but he's 33 inches long w/12 inch tail!).

we are so blessed to have found him after the horrible experience we had with our beloved theo!  we want to keep maxy around for a very long time!!  only the best for him!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AW Maxy is lucky to be so loved and you are taking such good care. May I suggest not using that top entry cat pan. Those are really small to begin with and yes, very hard for some cats to go in and out of and eventually they might give up and go elsewhere. I always suggest a very large open litter box. Best of luck with your new little one! :rub: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Let us know how the vet appt. goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxysmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, vet had no clue what it was!  there's an outside chance it could be ringworm (!!!).  she gave us a week of clavamox, so that'll hopefully clear up the lingering URI as well as the foot.  he was a champ taking his pills last night and this morning (also adding back some lysine treats, but half dosage since we think that gave him swamp butt last time).  he seems to like the pill pockets, and jumped on the counter trying to get at them!  hopefully by this time next week he'll be good as new!

funnily enough, our kitty theo also had a foot problem when he came to us - a badly-healed fracture that gave him his trademark wonky toe :)  come to think of it, same foot.