Crude Fiber And Constipation

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oliver has been on royal canin urinary so for almost 2 years and never had serious constipation on it where he would limp and hiss..This kibble has 4.5% crude fiber in it!

At the end of January I had to take him off it due to chronic projectile throwup from it. Hes unfortunatly been on several brands since then and his throw up episodes are over..

All of his new kibble has well below 4.5 percent fiber in it

He was on blue buffalo sensitive stomach for almost a month which made him regurgitate a lot with itchy skin, overgrooming 3.5% crude fiber

He was on Purina ONE Urinary Tract Health Adult Formula Dry Cat Food 2.0% crude fiber(the other cat would not eat it so I went to Iams)for a week or so and first episode of Constipation occurered with him limping and me panicking...

Hes now on Iams Healthy Digestion for 2 weeks now with 3.0% crude fiber and just had constipation a day ago...

Is this coincidence or is the fiber playing a role?

I picked up a bag of Iams Hairball which has 8.5% crude fiber, should I add some into his Iams healthy digestion?

I looked at Royal Canin gastrointestinal food and that has high fiber 4.7% fiber and people swear it ended constipation in their cats, the high energy gastro has above 7%, Science Diet hairball has 9.0% crude fiber.....

I did dose him up on lactolose and he had a big wet bowel movement last night, I have miralax ordered but I want him normal again with no medicine. He doesnt do wet food

Simpler Terms
1.8 years at 4.5% no constipation
1 month 3.5% fiber
1.5 week 2.0% fiber=Constipation
2 week 3.0% fiber=Constipation

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would suggest trying a little bit of the Iams Hairball mixed in with what he eats now. This is twofold - 1.) any food change should be done gradually - a little of the new mixed with mostly old, and 2.) if you find a balance that works for him after you gradually add a little more over time, then that would be the new combination for him.

Also, you will have to play a balance between the new food mixture and the Miralax. Could be that once you've established a slightly loose stool, you could take away the Miralax and just keep on with the new combination of food. It's worth a shot anyway!

The only real thing I am totally confused about is how you are tying the limping to any of this?? The hissing I understand could be related to the constipation - but the limping???

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Simpler Terms
1.8 years at 4.5% no constipation
1 month 3.5% fiber
1.5 week 2.0% fiber=Constipation
2 week 3.0% fiber=Constipation
Too much fibre can cause constipation as fibre absorb water in the GI tract and o the other hand, if fibre are made from insoluble ingredients, diarrhea is present.

Best is to have your kitty fed with wet food as wet food are full of proteins and nutrients and keeps your kitty hydrated especially if your kitty does not drink water. Water does have bowel movements.

Dry food are full of carbohydrates and it is very very very low in water content. It does not hydrate your kitty and having fibre in it does not do any good for your kitty. It is already dry and it attracts water and gives your kitty constipation if not diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He just dont want canned, he already had urine probs and supposed to be on canned... I just tried again with weruva, 5 seconds licks the juice and im done... Too the trash can weruva goes barely eaten by both cats

I google constipation a lot and other cats also limp when they have gas etc...He went to the vet because of this an xray show backed up stool, vet says limping and constipation hand in hand

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Allie eats all flavors of fancy feast florentine and primavera and purely, he instantly pukes if he eats a teaspoon of primavera or florentine, he dont touch purely...

I have one can of friskies left to try, the last can of friskies ended up in the trash, tried 4 different flavors of fussie cat, all in the trash

Im determined to find some flavor of something he will take too, theres gotta be something

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advise, I appreciate and take to heart every response...

Im really hoping this is a fiber issue as being on 4.5 percent fiber for 2 years then suddenly being reduced to 3.5 then to 2 then to 3 within 2 months seems more then coincedance... At least im very much hoping...

I honesly did not know the role fiber had in a felines diet and never checked

Hes eating now a mix of iams healthy digestion 3% and hairball 8.5%, hes still on lactulose and I will keep on that until im sure hes cleaned out then stop and PRAY

I also often wonder why theres a indoor blend of food and like Hill's Science Diet Adult Indoor Chicken Recipe Dry Cat Food has 9.5% fiber. It occurs to me only now that indoor animals dont get to eat birds and rats and grass etc etc which provide a lot of nutrition off store foods...

So a outdoor cat that gets regular kibble that typically has say 3% fiber gets a whole lot more from outside prey

Every single indoor cat food has a significant amount of more fiber then regular

Last edited:

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im starting a kitty grass farm today....You wanna eat grass kitty, come to my all day buffet!

Use the corner the throw up please

Im also growing a ummm how do I put it....An alive grass cat bed with no fleas included in my catio

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I stopped Lactulose and raised his fiber count significantly and he poops like a train now...

Fiber was his underlying issue and through hours of research I cracked the case!

Im quite pleased as this year has been a big trial and I seem to have overcome all of Olivers problems!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Final Update!

I think enough time has passed to give a good conclusion as to his poop routine...

So I give him Iams hairball mixed with Iams healthy digestion.. 8.5% fiber with 3% fiber

His new routine is poop at night like 8pm and then poop at 8 in the morning again, then do it the next day...

Its so much healthier looking then when he was on royal canin urinary so for 2 years...On Royal So his poops was dry and not good, now it has moisture..

The flip side to that is last time he had cystitis was may 2017. So now I am a bit worried but he gets Uromaxx Daily and half a capsule of egg lecithin and I have faith in Uromaxx....

Amazing that a little lack of fiber destroyed my kitty and the vets didnt even mention a underlying issue..Took many hours and days of research to educate myself and cure my boy..

To top if off he doesnt even throw up anymore, he was regurgitating and doing hairballs waay to often...He was also compulsively scratching and grooming himself to the point I thought he had hyperesthesia..

All his problems are gone, oh and to my amazement his fur is super soft now