cross country driving with cats

rrrager

kitten wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
time for me to post multiple new threads in a day, yeehaw.

anyways, this is a scenario for the future, about 6-7 months from now. so i have that much time to try and prepare multiple cats for what will potentially be a 3-4 day trip (oh boy)

we're looking at: two cars minimum, not sure if we're renting a moving truck or trailer yet. two dogs of 60+ lbs. AT LEAST four cats (3 of mine, 1 for my mom) but potentially five... and 5 humans.

(actually just had the thought of transporting a cat or two via airline. will think more on that later.)

lots of variables, but generally looking for advice on traveling with cats who have never been driven for more than 15-45 min at a time, any of them. would larger carriers, like for the backseat of a car, be something worth looking into? what to look for in pet friendly hotels? (oh god the number of animals we have...) does leash training do cats any good for stuff like pit stops? will cats in that kind of stressful situation eat or use the litterbox??

and i guess, how much chaos should i expect at any given moment? i'd ask about getting cats accustomed to riding in the car, but for the moment, my car has absolutely no air coming through the vents and i can survive these 110°F+ days with the windows down. but my cats? probably not.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
That air conditioning will be fixed before you leave?

When you situate them, try and ensure that a vent isn't blowing directly into them or place a towel between them and the vent.

Cat music, or classical harp music now and then can be helpful in relaxing them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rrrager

kitten wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom nah, my car in particular is gonna be scrapped or sold for parts before we leave the state. it's nearly 17 years old and wont hold up in cold weather, and overall it would be more expensive to fix/register than to get a newer one.

and thanks for the articles!! the travel one is very helpful and is giving me a few good ideas to start off on! 😊