Crock-pot and cat

luv those paws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

I am having a bit of anxiety, so I thought I would turn to you guys. I received a crock-pot for Christmas this year. And today is the first time I am using it. I am at work, and the crock pot is at home making my dinner. I am thrilled about it, but while I am here sitting at work, I started to wonder about the cats and how they will react to the yummy smells while I am not there, and I began to worry and actually have some pretty scary images of what could be going on at my house. I guess I was just wondering, has anyone had a problem with their cats and the crock pot?

I have the rival smart pot with the glass lid, which is pretty heavy, but is fit so that it vents steam, so it kinda "jiggles" a bit. Should I be as worried as I am becoming or should I just relax and look forward to dinner? Eeeeeep.

Thanks all.

auburn412

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the crock pot at home all the time while I am at work. Ed really enjoys the smells, because he runs to the counter to watch me pull supper out. He's never messed with the crock pot, though. (Unless he's figured out how to put the lid back on - teehee) Unless they are REALLY good at getting things open, a glass lid should keep them out.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think as long as it's not real close to the edge of a counter, the babies will be fine.
Crock pots stay pretty cool on the outside, and if the lid is rattling, they would probably be too scared of it to check it out.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I havent had a problem either, but then again, Peedoodle doesnt go near the counter, but now that we have Penka, she likes to sit on top of the fridge. I will have to see how she goes! Kahu's legs are too short for him to be able to jump up onto the counter.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None of my cats have ever messed with a crock pot. I don't leave it near the edge of counter, though. Rowdy likes to knock things down.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use my crock pot often and have never had a problem. Of course, my cats are not allowed on the counters for any reason so they probably know not to even go near there.

But even if yours are, unless its teetering near the edge, I can't imagine they would be able to get into it. Its usually cool to the touch on the outside, not to mention the lid would be hard to get off.

Relax, enjoy your day, and go home to a wonderfully hot cooked meal tonight.YUM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv those paws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone. I feel much better.

I don't have it anywhere near an edge, though they do go on the counters. I did feel it before I left and the outside was actually hot, but since so many people use their crock pot. I feel much better. Still can't wiat to get home though.

Thanks again everyone.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can I come over and eat with you? I love a good crock pot cooked meal!

myste

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only problem I've ever had with cats & crock pot is if I have it sitting on the kitchen table, they will play with the cord. I absolutely LOVE my crock pot, and use it whenever I get the chance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv those paws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone.

I got home from work yesterday and there were no kitties to greet me at the door (but a wonderful smell), so I was worried. So, I quickly walked down the hall and around th corner into the kitchen and the crock-pot was fine! Didn't look disturbed at all. However! They got into the garbage (something they home only done once before) and had the little packets that sit in the bottom of red meat to soak up the blood ripped apart all over the floor. *sigh* So, I kept an eye on them and no sickness so far, and will continue to keep an eye out to make sure that they are ok.

As for the meal, it came out really well. It was called: Good an easy beef stew.

3lbs beef cubes
1/2 cup dry white wine
4oz of canned sliced mushrooms (drained)
1 packet of french onion soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Cook on low for 10-12 hours.

And now, it wasn't really like stew, it was more roast like cause it made its own gravey, so I would suggest mashed taters with it

Thanks again all

And yes Kiwideus, I would have invited you for sure! Sorry, no internet access after work so I didn't see your post until this morning.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That stew sounds soo fine - unfortunately Jake hates mushrooms with a passion and wont let me cook anything with mushrooms or onions.

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Jamie

I don't post much in the Lounge but I often read the subject lines to see what's going on — and I just HAD to click your topic "Crock-pot and cat" because I couldn't imagine how "crock pots" and "cat" would go together :tounge2: I won't tell you what was running through my head!

Glad to see your meal turned out good — and that you're just a worry wort mommy just like me!!

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't like something I like, I'll make a small amount the way I like it in a little sauce pan. This way we are both happy and no resentment as to having to eat "yucky" stuff!

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new cat Rascal was up on my counter yesterday cleaning out my crock-pot! I cooked stew and he ate the leftovers. As long as you keep the lid on, everything should be fine.