Critters

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need some help in re-homing some raccoons.  At first it started as one getting into our trash but apparently it was a female and now we have three additional babies.  I can't leave the windows down in my car because they have climbed in there looking for food.  Every day I pick up the garbage they forage out of the trash cans only to wake up to the same the next morning. 

I have the plastic garbage cans.  I read that the metal ones cannot be opened by raccoons.  Our trash service has no respect for their customers.  They will just take the lid off and dent the metal one so the lid won't fit on.

Right now I cannot afford to have someone remove them humanely.  Those raccoons have gotten so bad that every trash day they dig at all the neighbors garbage bags.

I don't want them to get hurt...I just want them to go away.  Any tips?  I don't have a garage or a garbage disposal so.....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a live trap? We've used our trap for groundhogs sometimes when they've gotten out of control. We put cantaloupe in the trap and then when the groundhog springs it, Rick will take it down into the woods and release it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do they come back?

We had one baby in our over turned trash can tonight.  I am leery now because I don't want one attacking me if I pick up my trash can and clean up.

I can't even leave the windows down in my car because they have climbed in there.  I know they have because I have been woken up by the sound of my horn and when I investigate I see muddy footie prints on the seat of my car.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't ever leave my car windows down anyway. . .something will get in there. A cat, a raccoon, rain, a kid, some jerk throwing a cup of soda in, etc.

They sell plastic trashcans with locking lids. There's really no point in removing the raccoons. Once it's determined that a particular area is a good place for raccoons to live, there will always be some around. You get rid of this family, another will move in. Better to just raccoon-proof as best you can.

Last edited:

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The homes across the street line the woods and raccoons are quite common around here, of course. While we didn't actually see any in our yard, we went ahead and built a wooden bin to keep our trash in. The lid is quite heavy so they aren't able to lift it. If you can get a hold of some scrap wood and know anyone handy (or if you are) you could just build a bin and keep your cans in there.

My brother is currently trying to trap 2 raccoons. They won't go in the traps, no matter what he does. He wakes up every morning to find the cans knocked over. They are smart critters for sure!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they come back?

We had one baby in our over turned trash can tonight.  I am leery now because I don't want one attacking me if I pick up my trash can and clean up.

I can't even leave the windows down in my car because they have climbed in there.  I know they have because I have been woken up by the sound of my horn and when I investigate I see muddy footie prints on the seat of my car.
  Why in the world would you leave your car windows down over night? I live in NYC but grew up on a hundred acre farm in the country, and we never left or leave are car windows down

The best thing is to build or purchase a garbage storage bin that locks, keep your car and home windows closed at night, you could use pepper spray to keep them away from garbage till then.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any why on earth, other than critters, would I need to roll my windows up? What is your logic there?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any why on earth, other than critters, would I need to roll my windows up? What is your logic there?
  I think you answered your own question there, Bugs, animals, and people are all critters, so I guess other then weather you have everything else to worry about?

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have always left my windows down. I am sorry if you live in a place where you don't feel it safe but this is the first time in 45 years I have had an issue.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
As far as we know, the groundhogs haven't come back to our property.

We never leave our windows down and we always keep our car doors locked. Not only because of animals but you never know when some idiot is going to decide to check your car out and take what he can; we're having issues right now with people who are stealing stuff out of unlocked vehicles. Surprise rain showers happen at night as well as during the day. Bugs, spiders, all kinds of stuff.  There's just no way we leave car windows down.

Last edited:

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I brought home hot dogs for my 87 year old father and he was eating them on the porch. He called to me and when I got to the door I screamed. One of the baby raccoons was in his lap trying to get his hot dogs. They don't seem to be afraid of anything.