Crimpled fur

noobisababe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I look at my cat sometimes his fur looks crinkled or crimped I just want to know if that is normal!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes. Cats can have different hair types and textures just like humans. One of my cats has the "crimped" fur as well. It almost looks curly.

Is your cat long-haired by chance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noobisababe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His fur is a little long, you can only see it in some areas, that's why I was wondering :catguy:

Last edited by a moderator:

daezae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My late cat Myron had fur like this. It's a really lovely texture. His fur looks like it's fairly soft and his coloring is so nice.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Neat! That's a very pretty coat. :)

Yes, this is normal, if unusual. Crimped hair is an uncommon recessive gene, but it's not associated with any issues as far as I know. This gene showing up occasionally in regular tabby cats is actually the basis of the Rex breeds. :)

The crimping can be relatively subtle, as seen here, or quite dramatic and curly as seen in the Selkirk Rex.

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
noobisababe noobisababe

Wow it does look crimped! But as Lilin said, its an uncommon recessive gene, but its normal.

One of my cats has very long, fine curly fur. You can't usually see the curls unless you are close to him though. His entire coat is curly like this except his whiskers.

This is a close up of some of his fur:

Last edited:

hannahde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My cat Charlie also has crimped hair, mainly on his back. I've never seen it on a cat before. Glad to know that it's normal and unusual. My vet thinks that my cat may be a Burmese.