CRF Diagnosis

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Charlies bloodwork shows that he has CRF. The ulcer in his mouth, they believe is likely a symptom of that. He is on pain medicine for it. He is being syringe fed around the ulcer with about a 70% better success rate. I am going this evening to learn how to administer the fluids under his skin as well as to get Renal Cat Food, which I hope he will like. If that food is not liked I was hoping to use Science Diet wet food. The pain medicine seems to be helping for the mouth ulcer which is not bleeding or open. It's odd that when he first went to the vet almost 2 weeks ago, the vet said it appeared as if it was going away. I guess. Anyone with experience in CRF or any other advice is appreciated. I am also aware of the very helpful website - TANYA'S COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO FELINE CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE

I have been reading it all day.

I am new in trying to proactively manage and treat this, if possible. I really know nothing about it other than all the material I have gathered today. Any help is welcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I want to make the Slippery Elm Bark syrup for the ulcer that is talked about on that page. What is the dosage of syrup that I should offer twice a day on the sore? Anyone know what that may be? I researched where I am going to go to get it, how to make it. But, no dosage amount for syrup that I can see. Just pills. Any ideas from anyone? And thanks.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
here is another thread that explains the use of slippery elm bark with raw honey for stomatitis, which I think is very similar to mouth ulcers. Perhaps you could use that dosage and see what happens. On post #4 she explains how she makes it AND doses it. If you have more questions concerning what she is dosing, you could always start up a conversation with with her (let me know if you need help with that)

Oops. forget to attached the thread :rolleyes2:. Here it is: Stomatitis

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here is another thread that explains the use of slippery elm bark with raw honey for stomatitis, which I think is very similar to mouth ulcers. Perhaps you could use that dosage and see what happens. On post #4 she explains how she makes it AND doses it. If you have more questions concerning what she is dosing, you could always start up a conversation with with her (let me know if you need help with that)

I need help with that, please!?... Starting a conversation with her, please? I went to a health food store today and left empty handed because the Slippery Elm was in capsule form and had other ingredients like vegetable something and rice something. I did not know if it made a difference, so I left because I don't know if it was the correct thing.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi. I would like to start up a conversation with her to talk to her about this. Could you please help me do that? I don't know how.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, open up that thread "stomatitis" referenced in the above post, then run your mouse over the Avatar of the person you want to start a conversation with. In this case it would be Posiepurrs. I dialogue box will open up and one choice will be "start a conversation". Click on that and you'll get something that will look like you are starting a new thread, but it will just between you and them.