CRF - Chronic Renal Failure:links and experiences with

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started with low end canned and premium senior dry but through the yrs moved to raw and low grain canned... Feed them what they will eat and hopefully it is something that will help with the kidney issues

Royal canin

Science diet

Purina

Iams

and a few other s make RX formulas talk with your vet to see what is avail

yoshicat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am feeding all different kinds of wet but every other can introducing the k/d wet it seems to be working although my Yoshi loves dry not wet so that is why I am feeding different wet to spike his interest in wet. I have the dry k/d and he likes it fine but the vet said that wet is better and that I should switch to all wet. I am going to try other brands of k/d and see if any of them spike his interest more. Did any ones else vet say all wet and no dry?

Sorry for so many questions that seem silly but I love my Yoshi and have had him since he was 13 days and I was 17 years I want just the best for my baby.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally CRF cats should have all wet, however I have just lost a cat to CRF who had spent the first 19.5 years of her life eating mainly dry, so she wasn't going to change - I thought it was great if I could get half a pouch into her a day. I tried renal wet, and made sure she had it a couple of times a week, but quality was more important for me, so I preferred her to have any wet - a cat who is unhappy being forced to eat things cos it is better for them wont have as good a quality of life and might therefore speed things up. Despite eating mainly dry, adult wet (not even senior) and being on a medication that is known to be toxic to kidneys, she had a year, and it wasn't her kidneys that forced me to let her go, and bloods taken 6 months before I let her go were better than when she had been diagnosed 6 months previously. My vet also told me to avoid high fish content foods, but I just limited her. Just make sure there is a lot of water down, Zi could get through a lot in one day, between her kidneys needing more anyway and eating dry food.

yoshicat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Yoshi seems very sad since I have switched to the k/d dry Hill's. He hates wet but I am trying to get him to eat the k/d but no go. He will lick the gravy off some other wet brands but that is about it. I have even bought jugs of water thinking he would like that water better than tap but that doesn't seem to work either. The vet said he is in first stage but since I have switched food he seems depressed or something I am at a loss I am unsure what to do. I have read that baby food is a great opinion I guess that will be my next thing to try but has anyone out there feed just regular food and had any luck. I so desperate to do the right thing but I can't stand him being so sad.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if you have similar websites to the UK, but we have one called VetUK that stock prescription and non prescription meds including food, and they sell 2 that vets over here dont have access to, plus a website called Zooplus that sell 2 or 3 kinds of renal food, some of which go down better than the more expensive ones from the vets. Might be worth looking into.

yoshicat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have emailed this company about the phosphorus in there wet food and they email me back that it only contains 0.25 that is less than the k/d Hill's that I have been trying to feed. It only uses real chicken and no by products which make it high in quality protein. I am going to give it a try. I contacted my vet and he said he didn't real have experience with the brand but if it has what Yoshi needs and he will eat it go for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoshicat1

I have emailed this company about the phosphorus in there wet food and they email me back that it only contains 0.25 that is less than the k/d Hill's that I have been trying to feed. It only uses real chicken and no by products which make it high in quality protein. I am going to give it a try. I contacted my vet and he said he didn't real have experience with the brand but if it has what Yoshi needs and he will eat it go for it.
I think they gave you the "as fed" amount of phosphorus, what you need to know is the dry matter amount, to truly know if its as low an amount of phosphorus as you want. There is a formula for calculating what the dry matter amount would be - sharky may have that info at hand, and I am sure that one of the general information websites listed in the sticky at the top of this thread, would have that information.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to join this thread
Mattie was diagnosed with kidney disease today. Lots of research to do now...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I have to join this thread
Mattie was diagnosed with kidney disease today. Lots of research to do now...
It is hard news to take... but having dealt with many disorders and diseases this one IMHO is the most manageable for both you and Mattie...

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It is hard news to take... but having dealt with many disorders and diseases this one IMHO is the most manageable for both you and Mattie...
thank you sharky. When I left the vet, I was kind of in denial about how serious it could be, so I'm freaking myself out. It's nice to be reminded that it's very manageable.

My vet thinks she might have polycystic kidney disease (I guess this is common in persian cats?), and wants to do an ultrasound to check (about $250). I'm on the fence about it, because it doesn't seem like it will make a difference when treating her?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

thank you sharky. When I left the vet, I was kind of in denial about how serious it could be, so I'm freaking myself out. It's nice to be reminded that it's very manageable.

My vet thinks she might have polycystic kidney disease (I guess this is common in persian cats?), and wants to do an ultrasound to check (about $250). I'm on the fence about it, because it doesn't seem like it will make a difference when treating her?
Polycystic is similar but IMHO much more severe and you need to be more aggressive with treatment...Ie My RB CRF girl Kandie was managed about4.5 yrs via diet and natural whole food supplements and herbs only.... Poly would require much more .. If you can afford it I would suggest it to either have peace of mind of not having or the knowledge of what is really wrong to treat effectively

http://www.cat-world.com.au/polycyst...isease-in-cats

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LynsGems

PKD was/is very common in the persian breed. Many breeders are breeding to move away from this disease.

This is a link to some FAQs:
http://my.erinet.com/~lebordo/PKD/pkdfaq.html

I would suggest an ultrasound if PKD is suspected by your vet so you both know what you're dealing with.

Good luck to you and Mattie.
I pm'd you. That website is super helpful, I actually came across it earlier today. I'm going to call my vet next week and get her scheduled for an ultrasound.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Add me to the group. Butterbean has early renal disease (diagnosed today). I am having a horrible time finding a fish free (no fish of any kind), renal friendly diet. Royal Canin used to make one, but they changed it. Any suggestions for a food that would work would be appreciated.

hutchess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here and hoping this forum is active. I have a 16 yo CRF cat (Taz) that began having seizures 4 days ago. 5-6 a day for 2 days. After hours of research, I stumbled upon AlternaGel. After more hours of research I discovered it had been recalled and absolutely none to be found on line. After 2 days of (maybe it was a solid 1 day, couple evening before, then 1 the morning after) I decided to take the chance and bought him a generic antacid semi-equivalent to AlternaGel to help relieve the toxins and hopefully stop the seizures. And it did. He only had 1 seizure that I'm aware of yesterday morning before I got the antacid. Then he was really well yesterday, but now I'm concerned again.

My biggest concern is that this generic has magnesium... they ALL have magnesium after the recall in November 2010. I'm recently divorced, have 4 90# 10 yo dogs, 4 cats, 2 horses that I'm juggling in this economy.

I can't afford $50 if there's a cheaper alternative to stabalizing his levels. I might have found 1 bottle online and ordered it for $23.00 but I'm not certain I won't get an email saying "Oh, sorry..." And it's going to take a week to arrive.

So if anyone can alert me to an antiacid Aluminum hydroxide without magnesium or calcium with a vendor. I would be forever greatful.

I'm not sure how this thread works, if it will alert me or not, so if you would PM me the info of an alternative, I would appreciate it ...

Thank you so much! ~Blessings~

hutchess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nevermind the PM...just post in here. I had inappropriately asked anyone to email me and the mod changed it to a PM. I've found my way back so all is good.

Please, has anyone used AlternaGel in the past, if so, since the recall, have you found an economic replacement ?

meric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Guys

our son (cat) was diagnosed with cists on his kidneys 2 years ago, since then his creatine and urea have risen, in the last few weeks he has also crashed.

he had the flue two months ago and has only just recovered, we took him in for a checkup last week and his blood levels have sky rocketed.

when we took him for his checkup, his creatine was 500 and droped to 390 after having been on a drip for 3 days and his urea is off the scale >46.4.

his levels a week later are even worse, creatine today was 1025 and urea is still off the scale. (unreadable).

he is still on forketor 2.5, also started SubQ fluids today, and was on KD but now on a different special diet.

he is only 3 years old. still eating and drinking, friendly, playing. but some zones out and is lazy (very placid cat usualy).

any ideas would be great.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meric

Hey Guys

our son (cat) was diagnosed with cists on his kidneys 2 years ago, since then his creatine and urea have risen, in the last few weeks he has also crashed.

he had the flue two months ago and has only just recovered, we took him in for a checkup last week and his blood levels have sky rocketed.

when we took him for his checkup, his creatine was 500 and droped to 390 after having been on a drip for 3 days and his urea is off the scale >46.4.

his levels a week later are even worse, creatine today was 1025 and urea is still off the scale. (unreadable).

he is still on forketor 2.5, also started SubQ fluids today, and was on KD but now on a different special diet.

he is only 3 years old. still eating and drinking, friendly, playing. but some zones out and is lazy (very placid cat usualy).

any ideas would be great.
Is the vet having (letting) you do subqs at home? I had a cat with CRF, but she was very very old. We bought her some time by doing subqs at home, and it's really quite easy. You might also want to post in the health section.

maau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just realised I necro'd badly, sorry i'm new!

Last edited:

maverickmills

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it is a sad day at my house - Maverick lost his fight with CRF today at 1245. He had a bad night last night and could barley move this morning and was in obvious pain. I have always been an advocate for nursing till the end but today I took the advice of my partner and the vet and said goodbye and sorry to him as he passed on our laps. He was only 9 1/2.

Here is handsome "Mavvy" Maverick Mills before he got sick. We love you sooo much and will miss you Mav and all those special and funny things you would do

to make us laugh. Oh and the belly rubs you loved so much and cuddles on the couch. RIP my handsome little boy.