Creating An Enriching Environment For A Cat That Doesn't Like Anything

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maya used to play. She used to see a mouse toy across the room and pounce. She used to want to play with the wand mouse toy. Now the only thing that gets her excited is food. I have the Trixie 5-in-1 Activity Center Cat Toy | cat Electronic & Interactive | PetSmart and Hagen Catit Senses 2.0 Digger Interactive Cat Feeder which she loves, but I want her to be interested in something other than eating. She does like catnip toys sometimes - the ones she can slobber on and tear apart, and make a mess everywhere (which I don't even mind because at least she's playing!, but only certain ones. Other times the toy will sit there. I do rotate the toys, put them in different parts of the house, etc.. When I say she has literally every kind of toy, it's not an exaggeration. I have large windows and ledges she can sit on, and I put a hammock thing on the window so she can look out, but she doesn't use it and I'm on a high floor so I'm not sure there's anything to look at anyway.

I'm at a loss.

She hasn't been the same since we moved in June. Her asthma got worse so she's on high doses of Prednisolone and Terbutaline. Maybe the medication changed her. Or maybe she just needs a more enriching environment. I'm in an apartment in the city so I have limited space and options.

I miss my playful Maya bear and wish I could figure out some way to make her more active and get her out of her cat tree besides food.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you feed her any dry? You could throw one piece at a time for her to run for. This will exercise her and she will enjoy the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you feed her any dry? You could throw one piece at a time for her to run for. This will exercise her and she will enjoy the food.
I put the dry food in the activity board/digger toy, I toss the food around too, I even have an "Easter egg hunt" with treats. I throw a treat one way and hide another. But idk if that's enough exercise or stimulation.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Maya? Cats do quiet down as they get older. Plus her asthma and medication may be affecting her. And, if she's anything like my Ruby, she just gets bored with her toys.

One thing Ruby like to do is play fetch. Or I guess it's more like baseball, where I pitch the ball to her, and she bats it across the room, and then I go fetch it. ;) So that's something you could maybe try.

I love the Hagen Catit Senses 2.0 Digger Interactive Cat Feeder, btw. Think I know what Santa's going to bring Ruby for Christmas. :santa:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maya used to play. ... Now the only thing that gets her excited is food. ...

I'm at a loss.

She hasn't been the same since we moved in June. Her asthma got worse so she's on high doses of Prednisolone and Terbutaline. Maybe the medication changed her.
Or maybe she just needs a more enriching environment. I'm in an apartment in the city so I have limited space and options.

I miss my playful Maya bear and wish I could figure out some way to make her more active and get her out of her cat tree besides food.
Hi mayabear mayabear ! I remember some of your other threads about her asthma. Maya is about 5 years old, is that right?

My first thoughts might be that it could be the medication. Is she mainly on Pred, but with occasional Terbutaline use if she is having a day or so of asthma attacks? Or does she use the Terb a lot more each day, too? I know this page (Feline Asthma & Other Respiratory Disorders ) mentions that some cat owners have found that their cat is a bit spacey when on Terbutaline. (I suppose, that depends on the dose and amount per day, et cetera?)

Maybe it's time to note down in a daily journal Maya's activity levels or any other things that are concerning you, and arrange for a vet check-up with blood panels and urinalysis, etc. Has it been about 5-6 months since last vet visit? Maybe you could talk with your vet about Maya, and see if the dosages or amounts of the Terbutaline (or Pred) are still addressing her asthma in the most beneficial way?

My own cat is on a bit of Pred (and Flovent) daily, and we make sure to get her in for blood work about every 6-8 months, just to make sure her health is not showing any warning signs or issues from being on the asthma meds. My cat is about 3- 1/2 yrs old.
:hugs:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to catnip toys, Yeoww brand seems to be the most attractive to cats. They make them in balls, cigars and banana shapes. Even if she doesn’t play with them I would continue to set out new things that may interest her. Nothing that you have to buy just things like a cardboard box, a big piece of tissue paper, even a piece of foam for tearing and scratching at. Since she is rather sedate maybe try some cat TV or even a goldfish to watch.

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try a puzzle toy where you hide treats inside the toy, and she has to bat the toy around to get the treats out.

Would getting a second cat so that she has another kitty to play with be an option?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm with PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws I would definitely talk with your vet.
Also, do you have an air cleaner? Were you able to try and address the source of the problem in your apartment that seemed to be causing breathing issues beyond the heartworm (that was it, right)?

Last edited:

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When it comes to catnip toys, Yeoww brand seems to be the most attractive to cats. They make them in balls, cigars and banana shapes. Even if she doesn’t play with them I would continue to set out new things that may interest her. Nothing that you have to buy just things like a cardboard box, a big piece of tissue paper, even a piece of foam for tearing and scratching at. Since she is rather sedate maybe try some cat TV or even a goldfish to watch.
The catnip cigar, banana, pepper, etc. is the only thing she likes once in a while.
She'll get in a box for a minute then is done with it. I tried foil balls, paper balls, etc. she'll look at it and then just sit there. :(

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm with PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws I would definitely talk with your vet.
Also, do you have an air cleaner? Were you able to try and address the source of the problem in your apartment that seemed to be causing breathing issues beyond the heartworm (that was it, right)?
I still don't know the source of the problem. I have 4 air purifiers, 3 humidifiers, a vacuum that's supposed to kill dust mites and other things that normal vacuums can't get, I use anti allergen laundry detergent, anti allergen spray , nothing scented-just vinegar and water to clean-I'm about to use just water because what if she's sensitive to vinegar??? The amount of money I've spent trying to figure this out is ridiculous (which is why I'm losing my mind even more).

Sometimes she obsesses over trying to get into the closet. She'll just meow and meow (she has a specific meow, actually, for when she wants to get in the closet). I'm trying to think of a way to recreate that in a safe way.

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try a puzzle toy where you hide treats inside the toy, and she has to bat the toy around to get the treats out.

Would getting a second cat so that she has another kitty to play with be an option?
She would probably like the puzzle board with treats; we have 2 that she loves, but she figures them out quickly; 5 minutes and she's done and she's like, "now what?" I guess I just imagine her playing on her own sometimes or wanting to do something other than eat. Unfortunately she probably wouldn't do well with another cat. She was moved out of her foster home when she was a kitten because she was not doing well with the other animals. When I saw her adoption ad online it said she wanted to be the only animal of the house. :(

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi mayabear mayabear ! I remember some of your other threads about her asthma. Maya is about 5 years old, is that right?

My first thoughts might be that it could be the medication. Is she mainly on Pred, but with occasional Terbutaline use if she is having a day or so of asthma attacks? Or does she use the Terb a lot more each day, too? I know this page (Feline Asthma & Other Respiratory Disorders ) mentions that some cat owners have found that their cat is a bit spacey when on Terbutaline. (I suppose, that depends on the dose and amount per day, et cetera?)

Maybe it's time to note down in a daily journal Maya's activity levels or any other things that are concerning you, and arrange for a vet check-up with blood panels and urinalysis, etc. Has it been about 5-6 months since last vet visit? Maybe you could talk with your vet about Maya, and see if the dosages or amounts of the Terbutaline (or Pred) are still addressing her asthma in the most beneficial way?

My own cat is on a bit of Pred (and Flovent) daily, and we make sure to get her in for blood work about every 6-8 months, just to make sure her health is not showing any warning signs or issues from being on the asthma meds. My cat is about 3- 1/2 yrs old.
:hugs:
I brought her to the vet a month or two ago and her x-rays and everything looked great. I should have asked to get bloodwork done. The vet said it wasn't necessary since they just did it. But I should have asked since she was already sedated and it is so stressful and upsetting for her to go to the vet.

I'm trying to transition to Flovent in hopes that we can ween her off the Pred and Terbutaline. Or at least decrease the doses. My vet is kind of like, let's try a bunch of things and see if it helps. Like, she's on Doxycycline in case she has a bacterial infection. :( I'd like to take her to a new vet for a second opinion but I am trying to wait until she has to get her shots-trying to do as much as possible in one trip. I wish going to the vet didn't stress her out so much...