Creating a food rotation

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, trying to save some money by buying in bulk instead of random cans since my kitten has developed a few favorites and am wondering if anyone would like to give me some insight on how they rotate? I was thinking of purchasing two 12 or 24 packs. So far, I have solid gold chicken and purina beyond in my cart to go along with the current lineup (Merrick and FF) but I've heard good things about wellness core.

Dry right now is limited to night time from about 11 to 6 am when she gets her first wet meal of the day and usually the dry consist of Instinct, First Mate chicken and blueberries or Farmina wild boar/apple.

I guess what i'm wondering is am I missing a wet food option for her? And do yall rotate flavors daily?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rotate. It’s basically whatever I grab out of the cabinet. I use 5 cans a day - 2.5 cans at each meal, which is typically a can and a half of pate plus a non pate. I do try to keep them the same flavor profile tho they may not always be the same brand. Not sure I’d that really answered the question lol

I don’t feed mine dry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK so it doesn't matter if for instance I gave her solid gold chicken and then later she got merrick chicken. Sorry she's my first baby that I have had in many years. My old man liked anything with chicken but she's a bit more different (loves beef, rabbit, duck and then chicken) so i'm learning and trying to save a little money at the same time.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK so it doesn't matter if for instance I gave her solid gold chicken and then later she got merrick chicken. Sorry she's my first baby that I have had in many years. My old man liked anything with chicken but she's a bit more different (loves beef, rabbit, duck and then chicken) so i'm learning and trying to save a little money at the same time.
I mix food brands and have no issue. I would do fancy feast and friskies in the same meal. It’s kind of the same thing when introducing a new food, I mix them together.

I just switched to Koha and it can be pricey so I understand! I was thinking of getting some tiki cat to alternate with.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How marvelous that she's accommodating regarding you giving her different brands!
It doesn't matter what she gets when, as long as her tummy likes it :)
I like wellness core, and I also feed Fancy Feast, koha, Merrick Backcountry, Natural Balance and a couple others. I don't have much of a schedule, it depends on what he's decided is a favorite.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I buy in bulk, a lot of different flavors and brands and stick with land meats (chicken rabbit deer …) . Every meal they get something different. IDK if it’s only my cats but they don’t like same fo twice in a row. Enjoy your kitty and don’t overthink everything.

Last edited:

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks yall, this is my first time to buy in bulk but it seems so much cheaper than me going to the store and buying a variety of cans.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sooner you do less food you will waste when cat refuses to eat it took me a while to get graycie eating "two other brands besides wellness :lol:for a little while i was buying a case of wellness that she eats along with another mixedup brands case monthly knowing the mixed case was going into the trash mostlyuntil finally got her eating nulo ,tiki along with wellness

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I usually end up tossing half the can in the trash because she doesn't like "leftovers" drives me crazy sometimes.