Crazy for Catnip!

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new 3yr old cat was getting bored with her toy, so I pulled out a new yeoww! banana catnip toy. She went berserk, and chomped and bunny kicked the defenseless banana to death in a few minutes. Does this mean she is too sensitive catnip? Should I not present her with catnip in the future? Or is this a good and safe way for her to expend her energy?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a popular toy. Most cats that like catnip will do that. Catnip is a drug, but not known to have any lasting side effects so no one really worries about them having some now and then, much less just smelling the toy and going maybe a little less nuts then eating it.

The banana is kind of a piece of junk quality wise though. Mine had 50 holes in it and started turning green from drool within the hour. Let her enjoy it until she breaks it basically. Which will likely be within days, but hey, you didn't pay much and she is really enjoying it, right?

I've never owned a more durable toy of the same idea (designed to be kicked). Someone on here recommends "kickeroo" brand I believe.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Theo likes his catnip "banana" and he says, "There is nothing like a good catnip buzz!" But, he likes his box and bubble-wrap too
DSCN8346.JPG

DSCN8345.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The Yeoww banana is a favorite of many cats. Willow was given one in her adoption pack from the shelter and for the next few years it went everywhere that she did including sleeping with it. However The banana can be destroyed in a variety of ways. It is made out of strong canvas though so you can sew it back together if she tears it apart. Willows favorite thing is to chew an end off and then suck the catnip out. So over time it gets flatter and then shorter as I repeatedly sew it back up again. I try to replace it once or twice a year.

Here are old and new Bananas
1B113545-EFA2-4740-9317-51ED7B65F2CE.jpeg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe we should give the banana another try. On our only effort, it looked like susanm9006 susanm9006 picture within a couple of days, color wise, with many visible pin prick holes as well. Maybe even greener. Dunno, maybe we got a defective one.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They will turn dark within a short while A ArtNJ from cat slobber but that doesn’t affect them any . And for the most part A few scattered bite holes won’t make any difference to their longevity. I find when Willow gets a new one she spends a few days seriously working it over but then it slows down and she becomes less obsessed with killing it.

And yes, catnip toys or even just a pinch of dried catnip are a great way to get a cat playing and wearing off some energy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been nipping ankles after long play session and feedings too. Is it possible to overstimulate a cat with too much play? Would adding banana toy to the mix much further increase the overstimulation?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has been nipping ankles after long play session and feedings too. Is it possible to overstimulate a cat with too much play? Would adding banana toy to the mix much further increase the overstimulation?
No, I don’t think the catnip would overly stimulate. Most cats get very mellow from it and like to lay on the floor with it and just roll around.