Crazy Cat Gentleman?

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm always hearing the crazy cat lady thing from friends and family members who see that I buy insurance for my cats, spend 700 dollars for surgery and medications on my cat instead of giving up on him, for buying lots of toys and healthy foods, for catifying my home so they can feel comfortable. I'm called a crazy cat lady except I'm a guy. I'm 26 and just love my cats and the ferals that live near my apartment. I don't know why that's such a huge deal to people, but I guess it is. Is a male crazy cat person called a cat gentleman? or cat daddy? Not that I care, but is it normal for males to love cats as much as I do? It seems as though those around me are making me an outcast. Why aren't there 'crazy dog ladies' like there's 'crazy cat ladies.' It seems unfair to me. For the record, I'd rather spend a Friday night with my cats than other 25-30 year olds because they just drink until they get alcohol poisoning and Boots scolds me for 2 days straight when I drink. Yes I care more about what my cat thinks than other ppl. What's wrong with being a 26 year old crazy cat gentleman?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Not that I care, but is it normal for males to love cats as much as I do?
Yes, it's perfectly normal, just ask my husband. He was a total dog lover until I converted him. :lol: Don't get me wrong we both love dogs too but cats are purr-fect!:catlove: Bless you for opening your heart and home to felines.:touched:

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing is wrong with it at all! And yes, it's perfectly normal for males to love cats. If you haven't heard of him already, you should look up Jackson Galaxy (he has some books, and also lots of stuff on Youtube). I'm not sure how the crazy cat lady stereotype got started.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bf doesn't go on these forums but he is right there with you lol. And I love that part about him. He was initially a dog person but I encouraged him to adopt my neighbors cat who needed a home because he really seemed to like this cat's personality. He decided to adopt her and the rest is history! He is constantly reading cat stories and telling me about all these cool cat breeds. I have a very high standard of care for my cats and my bf completely supports my standard!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, recent studies show that cat lovers of either gender are not at all “crazy.” They tend to be generous, empathetic, and emotionally stable. They may lean a bit towards being introverts but I have found that many are definite extroverts. Maybe defending our position as cat lovers encourages that. My brother is a true cat lover and has rescued a great many. I have my nephew his first kitten when he moved into his first place. They are completely bonded. There are a great many men in the feral rescue group near me and a great many here on TCS. I know another who calls himself “Crazy Cat Gentleman.” He is one of the kindest humans I know and certainly loves his many kitties. I have often heard the term “Crazy Cat Lady.” Ignore anyone who gives you a hard time. They have no idea what they are missing. More’s the pity. Perhaps you can convert them! :) I’ve got quite a few converted friends. Once you understand the intelligence, beauty and love a cat offers, it’s hard to turn away. Bravo to you for standing your ground!:clap2: I’m willing to bet you are the most loyal and trustworthy of friends to the ones who share your love of cats. You’ll find yourself in very good company here.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Trust me when I say that men absolutely are crazy about loving cats! My brother I’m sure loves cats even more than me (which doesn’t seem possible lol 😆) and my husband of 41 years, who never paid any attention to any of my cats, now loves them! He even talks high pitched to them! And the term crazy cat lady is usually used in a demeaning way, so we’re all just adore our feline friends, because that’s what they are to we who take the time to learn how to be THEIR friend...❤🐱

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing is wrong with it at all! And yes, it's perfectly normal for males to love cats. If you haven't heard of him already, you should look up Jackson Galaxy (he has some books, and also lots of stuff on Youtube). I'm not sure how the crazy cat lady stereotype got started.
I have his book, "Catification." I've been using it on my living room. The two giant windows are now catified with perches and two cat towers. He's a cool dude that plays guitar and has tattoos, yet loves cats. hahaha

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not alone. There are crazy cat gentlemen here also at TCS! :)

My husband also is a crazy cat gentleman, aside from the fact that we are also crazy dog parents. :lol:

I have the highest respect for men who have the soft spot for animals.
We would love to see pictures of your cats and the way you have catified your home for them. :)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brothers have had cats :)

My youngest brother especially seems to like them-he only has one right now, but you better believe that cat is loved! When I visited, Ulysses was at the door to greet me. He's one of the friendliest cats I've ever met, and my brother clearly has a bond with him.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four brothers and every one of them love cat's and dog's. One of my brothers helps the feral cat's that are near his house and his cat lived till 22. She was so spoiled he would go without for her.The family always said that meat head as he called her was treated better than any human or any cat we knew. There's nothing wrong with loving cat's I have converted my hubby.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I have his book, "Catification." I've been using it on my living room. The two giant windows are now catified with perches and two cat towers. He's a cool dude that plays guitar and has tattoos, yet loves cats. hahaha
Yeah like we put a shelf between 2 widows a couple of feet apart so they can go from one window to the next w/o having to jump down and up 😀😆

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not just cats, it's the living world as opposed to dead sterile emptiness. So many people just exist and are consumed by the whole money, party drugs thing ( and now social media) and they don't really live as a part of a living world. Cats and other animals are the bridge that allows us to be in both worlds as they can be part of both and we learn from them how to live and be alive. When I was in the age bracket you mention and in college I ended up with a horse believe it or not. While other students were getting blind drunk and other stuff I was out riding through forests. I used to buy the geographic survey maps and use them to find streams to explore. My horse taught me more about living than anything else had. His senses were far keaner than mine and he saw, heard, and smelled things long before I did. It was like a guide dog leading a blind person sometimes. Can you go up this hill? can you cross this muddy creak? The horse knows, you ask him and if he refuses it's not safe. They know about life and the world, you learn from them by asking and watching. The same is true of cats and dogs. It is arrogant on our part to think we are far superior than them. They know how to live and survive in a living world and that is way more then what most people can do. In case you are wondering the current ear count for me is 6 that are now over 10 years and one feral mom with six mostly grown kittens.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm always hearing the crazy cat lady thing from friends and family members who see that I buy insurance for my cats, spend 700 dollars for surgery and medications on my cat instead of giving up on him, for buying lots of toys and healthy foods, for catifying my home so they can feel comfortable. I'm called a crazy cat lady except I'm a guy. I'm 26 and just love my cats and the ferals that live near my apartment. I don't know why that's such a huge deal to people, but I guess it is. Is a male crazy cat person called a cat gentleman? or cat daddy? Not that I care, but is it normal for males to love cats as much as I do? It seems as though those around me are making me an outcast. Why aren't there 'crazy dog ladies' like there's 'crazy cat ladies.' It seems unfair to me. For the record, I'd rather spend a Friday night with my cats than other 25-30 year olds because they just drink until they get alcohol poisoning and Boots scolds me for 2 days straight when I drink. Yes I care more about what my cat thinks than other ppl. What's wrong with being a 26 year old crazy cat gentleman?
NOTHING. I don't know where the stupid stereotype that men should like dogs and not cats came from but it needs to be put to rest once and for all. Men who love cats are THE BEST and I wouldn't waste one second of my time on any man who did not love cats. You're in good company here. We have plenty of awesome cat dads (that's what I call them) here and the more, the merrier. :clap:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Agreed....nothing is wrong.

I am a male in a male dominated profession: emergency services.

Im surrounded by alpha males and I proudly wear the "crazy cat lover" label.

I have hundreds of pictures on my tablet of greg, arnold and even my friend's dogs.

My closer coworkers tease me and I laugh with them. (the others know better)

I even told them greg and arnold are in the current january photo contest and showed them pictures. (Greg and arnold would love your vote ;))

I was hoping to win a Cat Site T shirt and wear that to the gym, now that would turn a few heads.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (depiction of a few heads turned)

As I was told recently, be comfortable in your own skin.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not just cats, it's the living world as opposed to dead sterile emptiness. So many people just exist and are consumed by the whole money, party drugs thing ( and now social media) and they don't really live as a part of a living world. Cats and other animals are the bridge that allows us to be in both worlds as they can be part of both and we learn from them how to live and be alive. When I was in the age bracket you mention and in college I ended up with a horse believe it or not. While other students were getting blind drunk and other stuff I was out riding through forests. I used to buy the geographic survey maps and use them to find streams to explore. My horse taught me more about living than anything else had. His senses were far keaner than mine and he saw, heard, and smelled things long before I did. It was like a guide dog leading a blind person sometimes. Can you go up this hill? can you cross this muddy creak? The horse knows, you ask him and if he refuses it's not safe. They know about life and the world, you learn from them by asking and watching. The same is true of cats and dogs. It is arrogant on our part to think we are far superior than them. They know how to live and survive in a living world and that is way more then what most people can do. In case you are wondering the current ear count for me is 6 that are now over 10 years and one feral mom with six mostly grown kittens.
That's so true. I feel the same way. I really only partied when I turned 21. Then I got a part time job caring for cats at an animal shelter in the city I was studying. It does change you to be in touch with other living beings.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed....nothing is wrong.

I am a male in a male dominated profession: emergency services.

Im surrounded by alpha males and I proudly wear the "crazy cat lover" label.

I have hundreds of pictures on my tablet of greg, arnold and even my friend's dogs.

My closer coworkers tease me and I laugh with them. (the others know better)

I even told them greg and arnold are in the current january photo contest and showed them pictures. (Greg and arnold would love your vote ;))

I was hoping to win a Cat Site T shirt and wear that to the gym, now that would turn a few heads.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (depiction of a few heads turned)

As I was told recently, be comfortable in your own skin.
I will vote for them! Yeah I feel as though what our society thinks is acceptable and what is weird is (mostly) completely backwards. Those who try to perform for others usually shorten their lifespans from worry and stress caused by performance and social anxiety.