Cracked / dry paws

Nat0001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just noticed that my 8 year old Tom has dry and cracked skin on both of his back paws. Does anybody know what this is and what I can do to help my poor boy.
Thanks in advance :)
IMG_20200330_134128.jpg

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If this is a recent event - it could be a nutritional deficiency and you could enrich his diet with foods containing omega-3. Great sources of omega-3 are: fish oil or salmon, for example. However, omega-3 is also available as a supplement, and have other added benefits such as heart health, and even joint support. Increased water intake can help as well.

You might also try to use Vaseline (petroleum jelly) or olive oil to rub into his paws 2-3 times a week. You don't need much, and it absorbs pretty quickly, so what remains likely won't be an issue if he licks them afterward.

How is he doing otherwise? If you are in a location like I am that has been extremely dry and hot, and he is allowed to go outdoors, that could also be playing a role in the dryness/cracking.

You could also check with your vet about having some blood work done to look for nutritional deficiencies to better target in on a specific solution if an issue is found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nat0001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. If this is a recent event - it could be a nutritional deficiency and you could enrich his diet with foods containing omega-3. Great sources of omega-3 are: fish oil or salmon, for example. However, omega-3 is also available as a supplement, and have other added benefits such as heart health, and even joint support. Increased water intake can help as well.

You might also try to use Vaseline (petroleum jelly) or olive oil to rub into his paws 2-3 times a week. You don't need much, and it absorbs pretty quickly, so what remains likely won't be an issue if he licks them afterward.

How is he doing otherwise? If you are in a location like I am that has been extremely dry and hot, and he is allowed to go outdoors, that could also be playing a role in the dryness/cracking.

You could also check with your vet about having some blood work done to look for nutritional deficiencies to better target in on a specific solution if an issue is found.
Thank you so much for your helpful reply!
I have take up your advice and have been putting olive oil on his paws, not that he enjoys that too much! I will be adding omega 3 to his diet also. Regarding to your question about whether or not this has been caused by the weather, it is not hot where I live at all at the moment so I can safely rule that one out!
Thanks again :))