Coyotes Kill Cats In The Daytime! I've Got Pictures Of One Hunting Neighbor Cats At 11 Am.

Lalexa67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! Look at that! Between the coyote and the hawks, I always get a sneaking suspicion during the good weather when all the missing posters start going up. So very sad.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up here in the Eastern Sierra, we "mark territory" with human urine. It is the language that coyotes understand and respect. Not sure how that would work in a neighborhood. In Mammoth, the mountain coyotes could be very cocky, especially those displaced by the wildfires. And up in the Reno area, there was a lady who was bitten when a coyote tried to grab her little dog out of her arms; she had to undergo the rabies shots as a precaution.Unlike bobcats, the coyotes are more aggressive; when I was a child, coyotes were shy and elusive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Speaking of bobcats...I have a picture of a fierce momma deer who treed a young bobcat in a tree close to my house. She had her fawn hiding nearby and was just glaring up at the cat! They all scattered when I went outside. Happy ending for her fawn...I watched it grow up:) The crows always let me know when hawks, bobcats or coyotes are here by squawking very loud en mass.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 249823 I have seen the body parts in my yard of coyotes at work. They are smart and sneaky and love eating cats here in Marin Ca. Please don't take a chance, it can happen to your kitties. This is 20 ft from my house:(
In Montana there is an open bounty on Coyotes. Shoot on site. Do you have a friend who has a target rifle and knows how to use it?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Montana there is an open bounty on Coyotes. Shoot on site. Do you have a friend who has a target rifle and knows how to use it?
Laws out here are very strict about shooting in residential areas, near public roadways and powerlines. Unfortunately, the urban coyotes are proving to be a real challenge. They are useful for curbing feral cats, rodents and rabbits but they quickly exterminate those food sources and move on to dogs and have been known to threaten children. Frustratingly, coyote attacks are not tallied; the closest is CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife which tracks the incidents of coyote kills by their officers & the local county health departments who keep records of rabies shots given to humans regardless of source. My friend in NV has a neighbor whose dog was recently attacked by a coyote in her backyard (in an urban subdivision) & she had a terrible time running it off.
Attacks on kids are spiraling upwards :angrywoman:
Coyote attacking children on New York playground throttled by off-duty officer
Coyote attacks child as she was going into her house: sheriff
Coyote attacks NC girl on backyard swing set. Dad bitten trying to pull it off her.
https://www.scpr.org/news/2018/03/1...cle_58fd5b04-26e8-536f-9890-5a7e3c0342e9.html

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up here in the Eastern Sierra, we "mark territory" with human urine. It is the language that coyotes understand and respect. Not sure how that would work in a neighborhood. In Mammoth, the mountain coyotes could be very cocky, especially those displaced by the wildfires. And up in the Reno area, there was a lady who was bitten when a coyote tried to grab her little dog out of her arms; she had to undergo the rabies shots as a precaution.Unlike bobcats, the coyotes are more aggressive; when I was a child, coyotes were shy and elusive.
I read that human urine wont work for coyotes. Wolf urine must be used?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of bobcats...I have a picture of a fierce momma deer who treed a young bobcat in a tree close to my house. She had her fawn hiding nearby and was just glaring up at the cat! They all scattered when I went outside. Happy ending for her fawn...I watched it grow up:) The crows always let me know when hawks, bobcats or coyotes are here by squawking very loud en mass.
Yeah, all those stories you hear about bobcats killing full grown deer? EXTREMELY rare exceptions. Normally if a bobcat tried, it would get a quick lesson in why that's a bad idea. Full grown deer generally have no problem defending themselves against 30lb cats.
The same applies to Coyotes, unless, there are several of them. Which, is usually how they hunt. Seeing a single coyote during the day, usually means something is wrong with it.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend has a farm with several indoor/outdoor cats, and they've been hearing coyotes yipping at night and sometimes even in the day. The day they found coyote scat near their front porch was the day they got a guard llama. Yes, guard llamas are a real thing (I thought they were messing with me when they first told me). Apparently llamas really hate canines and are good for defending against coyotes.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonatine Sonatine : yes, llamas are excellent at keeping away predators. Our FFA farm has one in with the sheep. They keep a burro with them as well.
Purr-fect Purr-fect : I have always used human urine. The tradition is that adult male urine is best but when my grandson was young, he and his little playmates loved to mark territory. It has been effective.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had no luck at all using human urine. Urban wildlife is too used to the scent of humans for it to be effective. The deer walk right up to my house and look in the window! Now wolf urine might be effective, so far we don't have any of them around here! :crossfingers:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is disturbing about urine not affecting urban predators. I know that you can buy predator pee although it saddens me to consider the source & what the "donor" may have endured up in Canada and AK. (more thoughts on that would need to be posted in the IMO forum). I know that coyote/wolf/DOG ecomorphs are a real situation and Central America and southern Mexico are having sightings not only of coyotes but coyote/dog mixes. I suppose that will affect the feral cat populations but it also impacts native prey species as well & hunger is a motivator to go after abnormal food sources. The differences seen here in this thread about responses to human urine are a glaring example of those unwanted changes :sigh: :angrycat::dunno: :disappointed: :ohwell:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend has a farm with several indoor/outdoor cats, and they've been hearing coyotes yipping at night and sometimes even in the day. The day they found coyote scat near their front porch was the day they got a guard llama. Yes, guard llamas are a real thing (I thought they were messing with me when they first told me). Apparently llamas really hate canines and are good for defending against coyotes.
Wow never knew that about llamas. Time to google!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The day they found coyote scat near their front porch was the day they got a guard llama. Yes, guard llamas are a real thing (I thought they were messing with me when they first told me). Apparently llamas really hate canines and are good for defending against coyotes.
I always wanted a llama. Good to know. :)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had no luck at all using human urine. Urban wildlife is too used to the scent of humans for it to be effective. The deer walk right up to my house and look in the window! Now wolf urine might be effective, so far we don't have any of them around here! :crossfingers:
It has to be urine, it can't be straight beer. :flail:

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, all those stories you hear about bobcats killing full grown deer? EXTREMELY rare exceptions. Normally if a bobcat tried, it would get a quick lesson in why that's a bad idea. Full grown deer generally have no problem defending themselves against 30lb cats.
The same applies to Coyotes, unless, there are several of them. Which, is usually how they hunt. Seeing a single coyote during the day, usually means something is wrong with it.
Actually thats not true. They hunt all the time here and the one I saw at 11 am was very healthy looking...just real hungry!!! They yawn a lot in daytime:"Something wrong" means VERY hungry!

Last edited:

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In some urban areas, coyotes are brave enough to "stalk" smaller dogs while walking with their owners on leash.
I love wildlife, but secretly hate coyotes.
A lady in San Francisco took her little dog out front of her house ON LEASH to pee in middle of the night but a coyote ON HER PORCH snagged the dog and ran off with it!! (she had just unleashed the dog to go inside)

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last one I saw here hunting neighbor cats had a Red Ryder BB shot fired near its little BUTT!! havent seen one since! I love them but hate what they choose to eat....