COVID and cats?

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm probably freaking myself out over nothing once again.

I've been unwell since Saturday and had some antigenic COVID swabs done, which were all negative. My doc insisted and today I did a PCR Test - and it's positive. He's always right... Anyways.

Now I've been home mostly since Saturday. It's very mild (slight temperature and fatigue, weird feeling throat and sneezing. That's it). Obviously for the last six days I have been around the cats 24/7 almost (I did to to work on Mon and Tues thinking I was negative after tests at the pharmacy). We've basically all three been on the couch or in bed most of the time. It's still cool here so my two cats are enjoying the extended cuddle up time.

Now someone told me cats can get COVID from their owners. I don't have anyone else to take care of them (I live alone) and it's a small one bedroom. I can't really just shut myself or them in one of the two rooms and it would probably be too late after 6 days.

So I really didn't want to but I googled some stuff and they all say be careful, protect your pets, etc but I wouldn't know how to do that at this stage.

Also please could someone chime in and tell me "I had COVID my cats slept on me nothing happened to them?"

Freaked out over nothing I'm sure but I do worry about them. For the record, they are obviously completely fine and normal and are just living their normal life with extra cuddles.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This TCS article may be helpful: The Coronavirus and Cats – What Owners Need to Know – TheCatSite Articles

The AVMA has some suggestions on pet care while infected with Covid:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I've read them and countless others actually 😟

I'm stressing out because it's been six days before I even knew where they were constantly on me, cuddling on me... And I feel horrible if I have to push them off me now. They don't understand keeping a distance...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not last Christmas but the one before. Both my friend and her BF (they live together) had Covid at the same time.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So back then covid had less strains, less likely to be passed on. Glad you are better!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had an early COVID case, right before the whole world locked down, and right on the cusp of people beginning to figure out that this was not the flu. I had every major symptom, including the loss of taste, and was miserably sick when I finally went to the ER. In the meantime, I took no precautions with my animals because I did not think that I needed to. I even went into one of those semi delusional states which have been described and sat holding Jamie telling him something...who knows what because at that point I was a mess. Bottom line, no one got anything from me.

I hope that you are feeling better.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you for the encouraging comments.
I can't get them off of me for the life of me - they are thrilled to have me home 24/7 and as soon as I lie down or fall asleep they are ON me. I'm just accepting I can't isolate from them in any way, I've tried the mask but it makes me so dizzy and I can't wear it 24/7. Anyways. Hearing ppl whose cats were fine helps a lot.

I don't feel so good but not bad either. Just hoping the little buggers will be ok more than anything :)

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We researched the topic when COVID started, and as far there is no evidence that animals (or people) can spread the disease on each other. Here is the post with all references.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you but the article is two years old (there is no time or date stamp but a link to a two year old YouTube video) and a lot has changed.
A lot of the sources cited actually have changed and been updated from what they apparently once said.
The sources listed linking to the relevant uptodate websites were very useful though, thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats almost never get viruses from their humans, there are exceptions that a cat can get corona, but really, it is rare. If your cat does get sick it will be sniffles and sleeping a lot. You might want to get some DMG online to start them on to keep their immune systems up. i have had a lot of flu in my life and my cats have never gotten sick. I wouldn't stress them out by keeping them separated from you!

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
cats almost never get viruses from their humans, there are exceptions that a cat can get corona, but really, it is rare. If your cat does get sick it will be sniffles and sleeping a lot. You might want to get some DMG online to start them on to keep their immune systems up. i have had a lot of flu in my life and my cats have never gotten sick. I wouldn't stress them out by keeping them separated from you!

Yes I figured it would stress them lots. I only theoretically considered isolation, but it is a small one bedroom so it's not really feasible.

I'm trying to practice good hygiene and not to sneeze and cough on them basically. Tried not letting them get too close, although I regularly wake up with at least one of them on my head, chest, or right in front of my face should I fall asleep on my side.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter has had covid more than once she's immune compromised. 3 times now in total. Her cat's have been fine every time, even when the whole household came down with it. Her and 3 kid's had it one time. Cat's definitely didn't social distance even though she tried and yes she did wake up with cat's on her bed.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughter has had covid more than once she's immune compromised. 3 times now in total. Her cat's have been fine every time, even when the whole household came down with it. Her and 3 kid's had it one time. Cat's definitely didn't social distance even though she tried and yes she did wake up with cat's on her bed.
Thanks! These experiences are reassuring.
Gosh your daughter though, three times! I'll keep my fingers crossed third time's a charm, i.e. last time she got it!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! These experiences are reassuring.
Gosh your daughter though, three times! I'll keep my fingers crossed third time's a charm, i.e. last time she got it!
Thanks we were shocked when her test came back for the third time. Luckily she didn't have many symptoms second and third time. First time was before she was before her vaccinations right at the beginning of the pandemic.Hope you feel better soon.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

I'm negative on self test but have to wait until Thursday for an official test by the authorities here to be cleared.
Feel much better and the cats are fine.

Should other anxious cat parents find this in searches:
They were on me 24/7. Even though I tried to keep somewhat of a distance I always woke up with at least one on or right in front of my face. The place is small and I did try to maintain good hygiene and not sneeze on them etc of course. But they were still in close proximity most of the time. And they're completely fine :)

I've done lots of research these days and read official scientific reports on infections in pets. They have happened but the number is very, very small. You can count the number of animals affected on one hand, in two years for most countries.