Covid-19 Food Preps

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about ready to stay home. Have stocked up on canned tunafish, Progresso chicken noodle and other chicken pasta soups, canned corn, canned black beans, flour, bread flour, leavening including dried yeast, sugar, dried milk, dried potato flakes, etc. Always have dried beans, lentils, rice on hand but bought some more rice. But not a 20-pound bag of rice at Costco, where they're limiting purchases to two per member per day. And cat food, of course.

Depending on how lengthy a self-quarantine proves to be, if it comes to that, it might become a matter of boredom: I don't want that for lunch / dinner again. I seriously doubt that malnutrition, starvation, scurvy, rickets, or other deficiency diseases will become a matter of concern.

What food preps, if any, have you stockpiled?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Dried potato mixes, rice, shortening and oils, meats, canned vegetables and fruits, frozen bread dough. A little extra flour and sugar.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to costco we have some jerky, plenty of eggs, chicken breast, spaghetti sauce, spaghetti pasta and zucchinis. Those zucchinis keep fresh for a couple of weeks so that's nice. We bought a big thing of avocado oil and ancient grains granola. We also stocked up on oatmega protein bars from target. I always make sure the cats always have a couple months of food and litter on hand so they're always ready! From trader Joe's I bought a bag of dried apricots. Don't want to just eat a bunch of oats and jerky during a quarantine!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I’m mainly worried about keeping a supply of bottled spring water for the fur kids.

My son has always said that we could eat out of our freezers for a good six months; maybe now is a good time to find out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We went shopping today to have some extra supplies, e.g. oatmeal, bread, fruit and veggies, soup, rice, almond milk and, dark chocolate bars just in case. ;)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up a case, twelve packages, of Ramen noodles for $2.40. I never eat Ramen soup but might if I felt sick. But the main reason I bought them was each package has two things that I do use. Noodles, that can go in any kind of soup, and separate soup seasoning packets to use when I make homemade soups in place of canned chicken broth. Chicken broth runs about $2 per two cups, ramen packets cost me about twenty cents per two cups of broth.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll be going grocery shopping soon. it's been almost 6 weeks since i last grocery shopped. i'll be looking mainly for perishables -- milk, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, romaine lettuce, salad mix. i'll also see if they have poptarts, some fresh lemons, and a container of sour cream (lemons and sour cream to be used in making Marbled Raspberry Pound Cake loaves).

i usually buy in bulk, when it's something that's not perishable, that i use on a regular basis, and the price is lower by doing so. i haven't 'stockpiled', but i do have food prep supplies on hand and will buy a little extra of the perishables this shopping trip. we're getting close to 'peak' with the coronavirus here (our governor says it's looking like 2-3 weeks from now), my state has been 'stay at home' except for essential services since last month, so i'm not planning to grocery shop for about 6 more weeks or so (until 'peak' has passed, and the number of new cases starts to go down).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom Have you ever tried just souring milk with either lemon juice or vinegar for baking? Aadmit I have not tried this with milk made up from dried milk.The other option might be the dried powdered buttermilk - just refrigerate the powder after opening.

An interesting "do try this at home" - when you have eaten the romaine lettuce take the butt and sit it in a shallow cup of water in a sunny place. The heart of the lettuce will grow new leaves. Not as much as a store bought head of lettuce but hey, these days it is all good.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault -- i have soured milk with lemon juice, and used vinegar too. :agree:

thank you for the tips! :clap: i'll try growing new leaves using the butt of the romaines, once i finish them. the trick will be if my three cats will allow it to grow without playing with it! :dancingblackcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started an inventory of my prepps which are in plastic bins in the basement. I have a sort of mental list but think I ought to have it in writing, especially as I've started using things - took some brown sugar for chocolate chip cookies.

Question is do I want to do it as I used to keep a freezer "diary" - simple columns of item, quantity in, items out, use by date. Or do I want something more "talky" - in 50 years would a graduate student find these details useful for a thesis. Or even my grandchildren's children be interested.

In which case does it need to be on paper, because who knows what computer + programs will even be in use by then. No Rosetta stone - we already have some floppy discs, no idea what's on them and no computer that can read them either.

I think the sequester is beginning to get to me. Good thing the calendar program on my computer pops up the day along with the date or I'd have no idea where in the week I am.