Covered In Scratches... Help!

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I got a little kitten at 9 weeks old. He's now 12 weeks. The vet thinks he's a maine coon. He's lovely and lively and affectionate but plays rough. I'll be going on holidays in a few weeks, and I'm looking for methods to stop my kitten running up my legs. He's doubled in weight since we got him. He was just under 2lbs at 9 weeks. 3 weeks later he is 4.3lbs.

So when I turn my back, sometimes even after a shower when getting changed, he will either jump on my back to be on my shoulder or run up my legs. I swear I have about 400 dark red cuts and nicks all over my back and legs. So that's why I'd like some help figuring it out before I go on holidays.. I know.... so vain :-) he's so fast and he's getting heavier so it hurts like hell. I can avoid it when I see him coming. But most of the time he runs at me from behind and he is fast!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He will even try to claw his way om my bare skin!

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first line of defense would be a claw trim- as short as you can without hurting the cat.

Do you lock him out of your room when you're showering/changing? Or put something in front of the door to stop him from coming in?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd suggest a claw trim too. My cat is more of a biter instead of a scratcher, but what I do when he attempts to bite me or is holding onto my skin with his fangs, is firmly say "no", tap his nose, and walk away, ignoring him for at least five minutes.

Does he have any long and various types of scratch posts? If he doesn't, I'd suggest getting one that is vertical & another that is horizontal.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh man I can relate to that. My cats a shoulder rider too. I remember the first time he decided to jump on my back when I was leaning over the bathtub after taking a shower. I was so startled that I started to stand up straight. It felt like I had fish hooks with a 15 lb weight hanging off my back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK claw trim it is! It's not common to de-claw in my country plus I don't agree with it. Should I get a professional to do it or will I be abe to do it myself without taking his paw off!
I love having him ride my shoulder but him climbing my legs and back (especially bare skin) is not ideal as he grows!!!
We have a climbing scratching post thing for him with both vertical and horizontal scratching areas on it. He's like an insane monkey on it!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My black cat Stella used to do that when I first got her. Sometimes she would even use the top cushions of the couch as a runway/launching pad and if I didn't move or notice in time she would launch herself right onto me. Then there would be times that I would be sitting at my makeup counter doing my makeup and she would scale my back, or I would be cooking and she wanted to see what I was doing so she used my legs as climbing post. :lol2:

Seeing as I looked like I was getting beat up by a little black ninja running around my house I decided that everytime she did that I would pick her up and then I would put her down and tell her "No, Ouch that hurts mommy" and then I would simply walk away....No play time no cuddle time...not for a long time but just enough to where she soon started understanding that Ninja attacks were not a good way to get attention.:yess:

Now she's such a super smart cat that in just a few days she learned not to do that, and she also learned that If she wanted to come up on my neck or shoulders she was to ask me first so she started meowing in a certain very high pitched tone to let me know.

Cats are sooooo super smart that with a little gentle guidance they get it and respect it.

So that is what I can suggest. Everytime he does it don't ignore it but put him down and tell him no, ouch and walk away. He will soon learn that he needs to ask when he wants up

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be able to trim the claws yourself on a kitten with just a nail clipper. But you want to just take the pointy end off. Watch some YouTube videos or good a how to before you try. Then wait until baby is sleepy or sleeping, extend a claw at a time and clip.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could bring him to a vet for a claw trim. In my area there is one place that'll do it for 15 dollars and another that does it for 5. Get it done one professionally and ask them to show you how to do it. Go with a partner- a friend, spouse or relative because you may need help doing it on your own.

When you get home, make a note of how the nails feel on you and you will have an idea of how short "feels good" then try to stay on top of them.

Hopefully your cat won't mind the process:)