Covenia, Cerenia & Clavamox - are all safe for use??

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, we've been traveling cross USA w/ our 2 cats. The FiV boy cat has had to get Sub-Q'd 3x in 6 months now, as he's got some CKD & dilute urine. He was also found to have a slight murmer & then an arrythmia. This 2nd finding, worries Sub-Q vets, as too much fluid can cause Congestive Heart. He gets no more than 100mls/visit. HE ALSO HAS HAD 2 COVENIA SHOTS TREATING supposed strep?? bUT WORSE YET, one of the 2 vets did no bld wk but based it on some holistic waving of a pendant?? Has anyone ever seen a vet using this mode? I've not.

Here's our 2nd prob; our older girl was in yest to -- yet another new vet -- since traveling, as we need find a vet where we get hotels. He saw her for some now daily vomiting that began early this wk, & even a few days at least 2x she'd vomit. He gave the Cerenia to both use as an anti-vomit & stim for her appetite. Anyone ok this?? I'd think the body NEEDS to vomit as this is body's way of expelling whatever toxin it is trying to rid? Now I'm really lost on vet medicine.

Vet also, found (but hasn't gotten back the (yesterday's taken) urinalysis from yest yet) cystitis in bladder?? But did give a broad spectrum Clavamox aka Amoxicillin, I think? He said re a cystitis found in bladder cells?? But he'll know more Monday as he gets Urine results. She is prone to previous UTI's, I know too.

So are my cats being overly medicated?? I'm unclear where to draw the line here? TY everyone for reading. The worst part is, in hotels they often use the other's box or we catch them roaming to eat from the other's food or water bowls. This adds confusion as I'm worried it is bacteria being passed back & forth?

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Convenia is a long-lasting antibiotic. A lot of cats do not have any problems with it. But some do. And when they do, there's no taking it back. They simply have to ride it out until it wears off. You should note when Convenia was given and bring this up every time you see a vet so they don't give more until the previous shots have cleared his system. Check your receipts or call your vets.

It depends on why the cat is vomiting whether Cerenia should be used. In most cases, it should be used because chronic vomiting is not good for the cat. I believe in cases where your cat has truly ingested a toxin, she'll expel it even with the Cerenia in her system. But most of the time, chronic vomiting is secondary to another condition like IBD. The vomiting doesn't do the IBD any favors. Cerenia is not an appetite stimulant though. It may stimulate appetite only in the sense that it may relieve nausea that was preventing your cat from eating. If you need to stimulate her appetite, ask about mirtazapine. This cat should probably have an ultrasound performed to rule in or rule out IBD. Chronic vomiting should never be dismissed as something cats just do. Vomiting is sadly common but never normal.

The Clavamox doesn't alarm me unless it is being given to the same cat who has already had two Convenia shots.

The pendant waving vet who did not perform any blood work should never be seen again.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY for all that! Ok, then I now have a better understanding as these vets don't always take time to clarify but just collect payments.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Using Azodyl now to lower BUN & Creatinine. But Pronefra is the best try from what I read. Will ask vet asap.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I would definitely ask the Vet on this one. And it may be that what works well on one cat may not work best for another. I never was able to get Azodyl into any of my kidney cats due to the size of that pill. Also never needed to use phos binders. The pronefra doesn't appear to be available in the United States, so I also never used it and can't find much about it.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vet unsure if available in USA> Its in UK only, I think. Article is from Irish Journal Vet Medicine 2014

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BUN down to 78 but Creatinine up 3.0 to 3.6

I know these numbers can go way higher but he's now ONLY getting Hills k/d kidney food cans. Also on Azodyl 2x/day & will begin by using capsule's powder in Salmon oil asap.

Last edited by a moderator: