Count's Weird Habits

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to share two odd habits of my cat Count. I have no idea why he does either one of these.

1. He goes and hides under a table, between my legs, or in his carrier, and waits for me to bend down a bit so my head is close to him. Then he suddenly trills and jumps at my face and lightly "pets" me. Then he runs to somewhere else and waits for me to do it again. I enjoy this habit of his because it feels cute that he is "petting" me. I don't think he is "hunting" me because he doesn't play bite, which he does when "hunting" and lets me pet him, which he doesn't allow when playing.

2. He goes nuts when I look in the mirror. He runs around like a lunatic constantly meowing and trilling. This only happens when I look at the mirror, he doesn't mind his reflection or any other reflection (including moving ones) at all. If he cared about any other reflection other than mine, I would assume that he was getting scared, but no.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, how old is Count? It sounds like he is doing his version of play, chase and love me. :happycat: Every cat is an individual and they are all unique. I don't think we have ever had two cats that are the same. Here is an Article that helps explain why they have their own individual qualities:
Cats As Individuals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, how old is Count? It sounds like he is doing his version of play, chase and love me. :happycat: Every cat is an individual and they are all unique. I don't think we have ever had two cats that are the same. Here is an Article that helps explain why they have their own individual qualities:
Cats As Individuals
He's a 9 months old hyperactive furball.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This sounds pretty adorable to me. I'm assuming that Count hasn't been declawed, so if he's petting your face gently, with his claws retracted, then he's making an effort to gentle with you, and showing very good manners. If you like it, I don't see any issue with it. (If you ever have a cat sitter or friend come in and feed him while you're away, you might warn them about this behavior so that they're not startled if he tries it with them, though).

The mirror is funny! Maybe he's amused that there are suddenly two of you? Juniper has no reaction to mirrors at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sounds pretty adorable to me. I'm assuming that Count hasn't been declawed, so if he's petting your face gently, with his claws retracted, then he's making an effort to gentle with you, and showing very good manners. If you like it, I don't see any issue with it. (If you ever have a cat sitter or friend come in and feed him while you're away, you might warn them about this behavior so that they're not startled if he tries it with them, though).

The mirror is funny! Maybe he's amused that there are suddenly two of you? Juniper has no reaction to mirrors at all.
He isn't declawed. He retracts his claws intentionally, which is one of the reasons that makes me think that it is a show of affection, not playfulness. I don't think anyone will be startled though, because while he is friendly and playful to everyone, he never lets anyone other than me pet him, never purrs to anyone else etc. so he probably wouldn't do that either.
As for the mirror one, my best theory is that maybe he sees a second me in the "mirror dimension" and thinks that second me is trapped behind the mirror.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I was recently wondering how Count was doing! I am glad you posted this - and he looks marvelous!!!

Feeby doesn't seem to pay attention to mirrors. But, when she sits outside on the patio, she can occasionally see her reflection in the patio doors. She must know it is her because if she thought it was another cat, she would attempt to kill it!!

She can stare for a while, so I guess she is admiring herself??

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Count is so regal! I love his little games.

Randall swears that Gohan will watch him in the mirror and even slow-blink him through it. He seems to at least understand somehow that the image is Randall.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to share two odd habits of my cat Count. I have no idea why he does either one of these.

1. He goes and hides under a table, between my legs, or in his carrier, and waits for me to bend down a bit so my head is close to him. Then he suddenly trills and jumps at my face and lightly "pets" me. Then he runs to somewhere else and waits for me to do it again. I enjoy this habit of his because it feels cute that he is "petting" me. I don't think he is "hunting" me because he doesn't play bite, which he does when "hunting" and lets me pet him, which he doesn't allow when playing.
One of my guys does something similar - he will "hold hands" with us and occasionally stroke our faces. Of course, we praise him and tell him how cute he is when he does this, so he keeps doing it. Count probably found out that you do the same when he plays his game, so he keeps doing it.