Counting Down...

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CBDDD4D1-BAB2-4AFB-90CF-DE242C644037.jpeg CBDDD4D1-BAB2-4AFB-90CF-DE242C644037.jpeg
How many days do you guys think this beauty has?? I’m thinking a few days but I’ve never had experience with pregnant cats before. She’s our current foster, but we have decided to adopt her after she delivers and her kittens find new homes! We are naming her amora, because of her constantly affectionate nature. While I love this nature, does anyone have any ideas why she could be meowing so much? I don’t think she’s in labor but at times I think she’s meowing to get our attention a lot. She stays in our room so it’s waking us up at night as well. It’s pretty random but only when we are in the room. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
36E94F79-D14E-4D4F-8CEB-02F5AE27FA27.jpeg Whoops didn’t mean to add two of the same photo. Here’s the other one I meant to add

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is this a pregnant female from your grandmother’s property?

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, she is a foster that I took in from a local barn. She was a former house cat that was dumped this past fall. Very friendly!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there!
My pregnant foster Amora seems to have found a nest, which is actually inside of a desk lol. I’m not too concerned about her giving birth there however I’m concerned as I don’t know exactly when she conceived. She was dumped at a farm around 6 months ago, so nothing about her really is known besides that her approximate age is 4-5 years old, the vet said she seemed like she had experienced motherhood before, and that she is massively pregnant. She had been nesting for a few days now, and was lactating on herself to the point of where the smell of milk was visible at her vet visit 3 days ago. The vet said she thought she was due very soon. I’ve felt in her stomach though and I didn’t feel anything semi that seemed to pop out like “ oh that’s a kitten!” And I haven’t seen her stomach move at all. Is it possible that her babies are just tightly compacted, too far down, or that she’s not comfortable yet? We have had her for four days now and she is fitting in well. She sleeps in our room for most of the day, the only other thing she seems to do is eat and use her litter box. Her nutrition hasn’t been the best so since I have gotten her I have been feeding her kmr, royal canin, instinct kitten canned food, blue wilderness, and the occasional treat. At first her bowels smelled very bad which is why I have been trying different foods and what I had on hand. Since I have switched to grain free we haven’t had many issues.

Getting an X-ray right now is a possibility but I would rather have opinions from real pet owners if they think I should wait, or if I should take her in promptly.

She was lactating on her legs a lot, but recently it has slowed down since Monday.

If anyone has any ideas let me know!
8A9267B3-6F0C-4954-8C15-2969765FABE1.jpeg BDA0F9A8-B02A-4AD4-B5F1-B8D21ABDBC20.jpeg 4EC59814-59A0-4DC0-824C-333DA74302A7.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No big point with x-rays unless you think its dramatic emergency.

Its fully possible she has dropped now, as you yourself suspect, and that is why you dont feel movements.

The standard advice appears here too: wait it out, as long there arent no alarming signs demanding immediate cesarean.
A cesearen too early is devastating on the kittens, kittens have difficult to be premature. Unlike human childs.

So, observe closely, but wait calmly and patiently. Unless you notice fruitless active labor, or similiar difficulties.
Prelabor may be quite long, but the active pushing phase is much shorter than with humans.

Tx for helping this little sis of ours.

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for always being so helpful! :rock:
I have never had experience before with taking on a pregnant cat or kittens so this will be quite the experience! I have read all of the articles and watched every video closely but somehow part of me still feels not confident. I’ve tried creating another nesting spot for her, so we will see how she takes to it. Pre labor is one thing I find difficult to look for with her because she is always so vocal and even has recently been panting when she wants affection/getting affection. I’m trying to make it a more calming environment by turning on a himilayan salt lamp and giving her options, however she is pretty stubborn! I hope this process goes smoothly!:wavey:

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, another pregnant kitty mama over here (: Just wanted to see how your little Amora is doing today (:

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read your thread!! Your girl is so sweet :loveeyes:.
Amora is doing okay, she is sleeping a lot and really only coming out to eat or for affection. I’m hoping that the time is near, but she hasn’t gone into labor yet:ohwell:. How is your little girl doing? Funny how they have different decisions than us about suitable birthing spots :lol:

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha, oh yes. That was you :)
Sassy is also sleeping a lot, and eating a lot! That's pretty much it. Lol
& I know right, that's too funny. They want what they want. :lol:

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yours is beautiful as well! I guess my kitty is a blue or tortie smoke. It’s sad how someone just dropped her off and abandoned her. She wasn’t spayed and we have no idea about her past

Whitney_erin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe, poor thing. I completely understand. I live in a very small town.. and my backyard goes directly to the community park.. theres some trees but everyone drops their dogs and cats at the park and they come straight to my back door. I've had to rehome quite a few animals.. including an 8 week old puppy. My Sassy was also dropped off as a kitten, and ended up living under my house. She was very mean and scared back then.. but she was only 3 months old. It's a shame all the animals that get dropped off. Especially young or pregnant animals, thats the worst.

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please don’t look at the following photos if you’re squeamish!

So I looked around her vagina this morning, and I noticed this. There is nothing leaking out of the vagina however, I’m not sure if this stuff is poop or not...?
It’s only near the fur and not touching the vagina, should I just trim it off?

19141F5D-4293-4691-A650-4A203F0B499E.jpeg CA013A69-1981-455E-A5CA-6D44E6919F5E.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s apparently not able to clean herself properly right now.

You can trim the fur carefully so you don’t cut her skin. Less poop will get caught in shorter fur.

You can also clean her bottom with a warm, damp cloth.

Have someone hold her while you trim. It’s safer that way.

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
8F72B036-5B64-451A-8AEB-A3AC382F87D2.jpeg D2AE8F2F-50C7-413D-BC9F-EE2A4233EEFE.jpeg 490F2A91-DD9A-4EFB-AD2B-C02DC4761245.jpeg
Any idea what those things are by her nipples? Just dirt or mites or fleas?? Vet said she didn’t look like she had fleas
This is how ginormous she is

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A5BA0811-E38B-46D5-84FA-C1DBDEEA35CC.jpeg
Better photo lol. Sorry for excessive cat nipples

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s being very very vocal today. Her appetite is a bit lower than usually but she is getting more affectionate. She’s also starting to play a bit with some toys. She also wants to interact with our other cats however, they are both not ready. Does this mean things are getting close? Or am I just being hopeful lol