Young Cat
Purraise
Cat keeps getting on counter and table waters not working what should i try

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just let mine go everywhere. :dunno:

Punishments such as spraying with water don’t work by the way. It will only make them afraid of you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a TCS article with suggestions:

Some cats will still get on the counter regardless, especially when you're not around :dunno:

How old is your cat? Is this a new behavior or ongoing? Do you feed your cat enough?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats dont mind water, like yours, apparently. Some cats don't respond to a loud "no!" which I like to use. Honestly, I think simply removing the cat from the counter 300 times, over however many weeks, is about as likely to be effective as negative reinforcement and not controversial. However, that too is far from a sure thing. That leaves you with solutions that make walking on the counter uncomfortable as that article linked above suggests. Since I find doing that out of proportion to the problem, I just deal with it, and put the training-resistant cat down when its bothering me.

I haven't had a training resistant cat in a while . . . but my current 5 month old kitten is *very* resistant, so I feel ya.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't squirt your cats with water! At best, they won't care. At worst they will either fear you are end up avoiding you in general.
Maybe a loud noise? Hiss at them? That is what another cat would do if they did something to provoke another cat.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We got cheap plastic place mats and covered them with double sided tape and covered the counters with them. Neko-chan hated the sticky on her feet. It took a few weeks but seemed to be a gentle way to train her.