could use some help..........

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had momma and babies in my garden bath tub last night.Well, momma decided that she did NOT want to use the liter box,instead she wanted to pee and poop on my bedroom carpet.....at 4am
(I put some of her poop in the liter pan)So, I put her back into the tub with the babies.My bathroom does not have a door on it.It is attached to my bedroom
At 6am, I heard her scratching my carpet again.So, I got up and put her and the babies in my laundry room behind a child safety gate.There are shelves there, so it was sort of like a crate type of set up.Until I could put her in the dog crate.(Don't worry, I cleaned it and let it air dry first.)
Well, I left her alone,and just went to check on all of them and feed momma.The sheet that I had in there was SOAKED with pee and she had pooped on it.
So, I put her in the crate with the liter box,a small box lined with a flannel type of pillow case for the kittens,and her food and water.The crate is really to small for them--it's the small size wire cage from Wal-Mart.But, it will have to do until I can contact a foster home......or keep them until they are old enough to go to new homes.......still not sure about what we are going to do.
My problem is----------how do I keep her from peeing and pooping OUT of the liter box? I'm worried that if she pees and the kittens sit/lay in it,they will get sick.
It seems to me,that she was an outside cat.We opened the back door to shake the liter from the sheet she peed on---she was SAFELY latched in the crate
--but once she heard the outside noises,she tried to get out.
She is a loving cat,and a GREAT momma.I just need to figure out how to liter box train her...because if she does stay here,I can NOT have her messing all over the house.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some thoughs on this elimination problem.

You seem to do everything right, and you are thinking right as far as I can see. So I gather you know all the basics.

But lets talk it over anyway.

The standard way to make them use a litter is to have them confined in a little room. As cats dont voluntarily soil themselves, so willy nilly they are making "their needs" in the litter.
But it doesnt work here, she seems to be one of the very few who do soil where she is...

Some factors which may be involved.

How is the litter pan? and how is the litter sand?

If the pan is like a house, with roof and door. Many cats are afraid of the doors. Try with to take the door away!

Which sand do you use? Fancy perfumed sands arent good. If the cat is used to be outside - lived outside - common, clay based litter is best.
In the beginning you can have some earth-dirt in it. Or some leaves... Just to give it the right smell.

To see a vet for a thorough check up is a common advice with all these "misbehaving with the litter" cases.

Some elimination problems may be directly caused by illness.
Cats with diarrhea have often difficult.

Others cases of elimination problems may be indirectly: Many cats, when sick, have difficult for the litter.
When they get cured, the "misbehavior" disappears by itself.
Thus - often it is really not a behavioural problem, but a stricktly medical problem.

May it be she feels unsecure? Stressed??

Try with a Feliway diffuser. Set also on soft, calm music. Preferably harp music, but almost any nice, calm music will do.
This cant hurt, but may help.

And if you do have a good vet knowleable with cats - let him make an thorough check up...

Some advices - lets hope other will fill in.

Good luck!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get some dirt from outside and put in a litter box. She's probably not associating the litter/sand as a place to go. You can gradually mix in some real litter over the next couple of weeks.

Be sure to clean the spots she's eliminated on with enzymatic cleaner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put some sand in her box.I HOPE she uses it.
the litter pan is one with just the bottom.It has no top what so ever.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

If all else fails, try cat attract litter. It is supposed to work wonders.
cat attract, and continue to put her messes in the litter box when you clean them up.

You are an Angel. The universe Chose well when that box was put in yours and your daughter's path.

Keeping her confined with the above may be the answer you are looking for. All your instincts are correct!